Spells - Channel

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
XXconanXXX said:
Errr, yeah, sorry, I've been busy with WoW lately. When I have some free time I'll finish revising it.

You can easily make time.

It's called turning the game off :rolleyes:

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
It's not just WoW - Since school has started, and I have TONS to catch up with.

That, and the fact that my dad has given me a new project. -.-

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
That may be true, but.

WoW time is something you control. :p Thus, you sacrifice, for the good of the community! :rolleyes:

Siefer

Reaction score
Wow, didn't know channel was so useful. Thank you!
By the way, how is the revision going? Is it already done? I haven't had much internet time lately to check the tutorial site, and I have to get off right now.
(darn)

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I'm almost finished. I'm going to lok over it again and fix it up some more, maybe add a few things.

Should have it by Monday. (Going to be very busy this weekend)

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Not yet, my grandparents came over for the weekend and we'll be put and about today. I might have some time later at night.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Revised the tutorial. I also restructured it, added new explanations for a few of the things, and after extensive testing with the ability, cleared up the loose ends and added the other options of Options.

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
so how do i get the buff to show on the target using the channel spell? i have 12 second duration on channel, i have it set to target a unit, but when i cast the spell it uses my mana, the cooldown goes off, but it is not putting the buff on the target.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I have not yet found an answer.

You would most likely need a dummy spell (I recommend Unholy Frenzy) that has the buff, and cast it on the target when the Channel dummy ability is cast.

I will look into it for an easier solution.

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
see my problem is i have TONS of abilities in my map, i have an ability based off of almost every spell. so its really hard for me to find a dummy spell that i can use that wont interfere with another heros spell. (due to stacking and over riding buffs)

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
FYI, you can stop overriding buffs by basing the BUFF off a new buff.

Because, simply put, buffs or abilities that act differently. Even if you have two abilities based off the same type of skill (IE, two poison skills) and change one of the buffs to something else, they won't overwrite eachother.

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
you sure about that? i have a skill based on envenomed weapons and another one based on slow poison. they are both based on the same base ability, passive attack buff that slows movemetn speed,attack speed, and deals damage over time. they have different buffs. the envenomed weapons ability has a buff called 'Toxic Shot' and the slow poison ability has a buff called 'Numbing Poison'

even putting these 2 on 2 diferent heroes, only the one with the higher level works on the target, and if 1 of the buffs is already on the target the other one will not work.

and the buff itself does not actually do anything except visuals. if i have unholy frenzy as a real ability that one of the heroes gets that gives +50% haste and does 4 damage per second, and i have a dummy unholy frenzy that does no haste and no damage, what happens when they are both cast on the same target? the buff wouldnt really matter because i can change the buff to whatever i want, the buff isnt what gives them haste. it's the ability that does that. so 1 of the abilities would override the other right?

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Try basing one of those poison buffs off the Unholy Frenzy buff and changing art/tooltips/whatever.

If it doesn't work, it must be the ability itself, and not the buff.

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
well all buffs are exactly the same, there isnt any certain buff types. every buff has the same exact fields the only difference from 1 buff to the next is the name, tooltip, art effects and attatchments

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
That's the problem.

Buffs are actually abilities that are added to the target, and no two buffs can be on the same unit at the same time.

Try basing one buff off of Unholy Frenzy, and the other on Slow Poison.

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
XXXconanXXX said:
That's the problem.

Buffs are actually abilities that are added to the target, and no two buffs can be on the same unit at the same time.

Try basing one buff off of Unholy Frenzy, and the other on Slow Poison.

no dude the buff doesnt do jack try it yourself. if what you say is true then giving the unholy frenzy buff to a unit would give it the unholy frenzy effect, but it doesnt.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
It's still overwriting it?

What I mean is, basing the buff off Unholy Frenzy, and changing it's stats.

If you look at JASS natives, the buff detection and removal is the same thing as checking if they have an ability and remmoving an ability.

W

Wazat

I love this tutorial. Thank you!!!

BTW, I am having the same problem as a user above -- I can't get a visual projectile to fly toward the target with channel.

I suspect that a unit with a long-ranged attack would use that same model for the channel abilities, as the user above said. My unit doesn't throw projectiles (melee unit) so that's probably why I see nothing.

How can I get channel to show a projectile? The only way I can think of is having my dummy unit cast 2 spells when the channel spell is cast -- one to cast the target spell (cluster grenade), and another to cast a dummy spell that just throws a projectile for visual effect. :(

Any suggestions?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.