Spells - Custom Lightning Effects

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
Custom Lightning Effects

I am writing this tutorial because I feel the lack of custom lightning effects in Warcraft 3 custom games. The truth is theres an easier and alternative way then using the lightning effect triggers. For only 4kb of map space you can recolor and change any lightning effect.

BasicExmaple.jpg

Sneak peak preview to my upcoming spellpack =D

LightningData.slk

This is the .slk file you will be editting. There are 2 ways to get this file , either attached from somewhere ( Such as this post ) or directly extracted from your war3x.mpq with any MPQ Editor. Obviously the easier way would just to be to download the attachment from this post.

This is the file in which the settings for the lightning effects you see in Warcraft 3, are seen. It can be opened through Excel or notepad. Notepad is very confusing so I highly recommend using Excel instead.

InsideExcel.jpg

Name:
This is the raw code that the game refers it by, its just 4 letters in all capitals, name it any thing that doesn't interfere with another raw code.

Comment:
Just a useless comment no need to change anything here as it will do nothing.

DIR
Don't need to worry about this one once again it will not require changing.

File
File path , don't change this one either.

AvgSegLen: Average Segment Length?
Width: Width of the bolt.
R: Red value of the bolt. 255 is max.
G: Green value of the bolt. 255 is max.
B: Blue value of the bolt. 255 is max.
A: Alpha value. Lower means more transparent.
NoiseScale: ?
TexCoordScale: ?
Duration: In seconds?
Version: 0 = RoC, 1 = TFT-only

For the most part don't worry about changing these unless you really wish to go advanced.

Take a look at the screenshot above once, again 1-16 are blizzard pre-set. Those are the lightning effects you can already choose from. #17 I made the result of it was the first screenshot in the beginning of the post.

Take note that I didn't really change much.

Your Own Lightning Effect

Copy and paste the lightning effect of your desire. For me I chose Drain Mana.

Once the copied lightning effect is put into the next row its time to edit it!
[Look at PURP at the above screenshot]

Figure out your RGB values , alpha values and all the rest, and edit it accordingly.

Now to change the raw code under the name collum . 4 Letters all capitals that hasn't already been taken is all that is required.
[I named mine PURP]

Your done editing your lightning bolt! Its time to move on to getting it into your map. :shades:

Importing
The final step!

1. Save your work, close excel and open up your map.
[Name of file does not matter but just keep it the same]

2. Open the import manager. The hot key is F12

Once imported check off the box saying
Use Custom path
Then change the file path to Splats\LightningData.slk
This must be done or the game will not regonize the file!

FilePath.jpg

4. Finnaly it is to use the lightning effect. Unlike the defaults it won't simply appear in the list.

Find a spell using lightning effects. Im using drain life as an example.
Change the field Art- Lightning Effects to your rawcode.
Notice how it won't show up? In order to do this hold down SHIFT then double click Art- Lightning Effects again. This time it will show a box with another rawcode from the default spell. Delete that and put in your own spells raw code.

Mine was PURP so it should look like this.
ShiftClick.jpg

Click OK, You have now just created your custom lightning effect! Save the map and test it . If you have followed the steps correctly it should now work.
Once you get the hang of it a.k.a after the first time doing it. Its a lot easier then using the lightning effect triggers for spells like chain lightning.

To further edit more lightning effects keep copy and pasting onto the next row and replacing the old .slk file with the new .slk file.

SuccessJPEG.jpg

Hosting the file on filefront as I cannot put .slk on my post
Filefront - http://files.filefront.com/LightningDataslk/;8975207;/fileinfo.html
RapidShare http://rapidshare.com/files/68164775/LightningData.slk.html
Media Fire http://www.mediafire.com/?8xncngojtn2

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Wow! Custom Lightning effects!!! I realy like this one. +REP from me. Just one Question.
Can you use custom effects, and Import them in the slk thing, or can you only use preset ones?

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
Thanks guys, my 2nd tut ever , changing download links thanks again for pointing that out.

@Hatebreeder
This is quite new to me as well, but notice that all the lightning effects have a skin? ReplaceableTexture/BlAH/BLAH/BLAH
Your best bet is that yes you can. Tho Im not a skinner/modeler its definably worth a shot. You would probaly change the filepath in the slk and then import the skin into the game.

EDIT:
Don't know gals I click the link it just gives me invalid download session o_O

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
>>Don't know gals I click the link it just gives me invalid download session o_O
He edited the file? or removed the file?
It works well once I posted it. I tested it after i post.

Try this:
http://dodownload.filefront.com/897...332a9115b4db9e4ab660a4acaddec9beeff59555ad83b

Edit - Hmm, can't. I wonder why. This method works well on my uploaded items to FileFront. Nevermind, just ignore it, use back the old thing.
Edit 2 - No, it is not my fault. There's some error occur on File Front. I can't download any file from file front.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
@School atm , works for me trying to fix it after I get back. Maybe will try another site then flefront.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
Filefront link updated.
RapidShare link added.
Tried to zip but I don't have any trial time left on WinZip and this site won't let me put up rars. =(

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Filefront link updated.
RapidShare link added.
Tried to zip but I don't have any trial time left on WinZip and this site won't let me put up rars. =(

You can make default compress folders on your computer. Just unistall WinZip or something.

NetherHawk

Reaction score
just unistall de winzip and dl a new one =/
urgh whats with rapid share, its saying some download limit thing wait 75 minutes.

off topic: cool, a blue tinki3. could u make a green one ? =P

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
o_O Thats wierd that only shows if you've been downloading a lot.

That didin't work for me,reinstalled still said no trial time left.

Im pretty sure I fixed the filefront link, I click it now and click download now and it works perfectly.

Off Topic

I got permission from him , don't want to many tinki3s now do we XD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.