Spells question!

Embrace_It

Reaction score
Hi

Not so long ago I asked about a spellbook issue in this thread: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86434

(the following spells are INSIDE spellbooks)

However, some things still remain unclear to me.
Firstly, if you create two triggered abilities that require no target, you need to base them off of two different "non-target" abilities, correct? Not both off of Big Bad Voodoo like I used to.

Secondly, does the above apply to different heros/units? Say you have two different heros, each with a triggered spells based off of the same ability (like Big Bad Voodoo). Do you need to base them on different abilities yet again?

Thridly, I opened a map some other guy made (an ORPG) and looked at his spells. Then confusion struck me, as he had based all abilities off of Stormbolt, only that they were then named other things so the trigger would recognize the individual spell. This however makes no sense in comparison with the answers given in my previous thread.

I am completely confused and I would really appreciate it, if someone could clear this up! :banghead:

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
1. Yes, that is correct. To make it easier for yourself, just use Channel. If you don't know about it, read this

2. No, it doesn't. As in one unit might have impale and roar (for example) and a 2nd unit might have exactly those 2 as well, it will work fine. Only the above applies to each unit.

3. I'm not sure... I'd need to see it for myself...

Cidzero

Imma firin mah lazer!!!1!1
Reaction score
Spells based off of the same spell will be used at the same time if you use one.

Now, you want channel, the spell meant for trigger spells. You can change orderid to allow seperate casts

*Edit* wow i was slow on that response...

Embrace_It

Reaction score
Seems I'll be going with channel then, thx for the link!

2. No, it doesn't. As in one unit might have impale and roar (for example) and a 2nd unit might have exactly those 2 as well, it will work fine. Only the above applies to each unit.

Does this apply for triggered spells, since Impale and Roar are not triggered.

My paladin has a "Wrath of the Heavens" spell where he calls for the help of an arch angel. It is based on Big Bad Voodoo and, when activated, creates the Big Bad Voodoo caster buffs and so on, so I thought it there might be another spell based off of the same.
I checked all my custom spells and found no other spell based on Big Bad Voodoo. Neither in the spellbooks of the pala nor in any other heros' spellbook and I doubt the original Big Bad Voodoo is causing the problem.

The ORPG is sadly too big and these only the triggers are protected in the map, I think it got removed as you could view all objects. Anyways, the map was Forlorn ORPG v0.21

Thanks for the help!

CrazyImpling

Reaction score
I was using Battle Roar for a few triggered spells I was making, and it seems that removing the Buff field does not actually change anything that has to do with buffs on your hero, meaning the icon still shows up on the buff list.

>>Does this apply for triggered spells, since Impale and Roar are not triggered.
It's not that fact that they are triggered as much as the fact that they run using the same orderid, the ID's used to be editable in all spells (if I remember right, might be confusing with something else), but now it is only editable in Channel.

EX: If you have two spells with the same orderid, they both cast at the same time when you try to use one. The fact that the spell has triggers attached to it is what starts the trigger for triggered abilities.

Embrace_It

Reaction score
was using Battle Roar for a few triggered spells I was making, and it seems that removing the Buff field does not actually change anything that has to do with buffs on your hero, meaning the icon still shows up on the buff list.

Explains a lot. Is there any other way to remove it?

Do you only need to change the Base Order ID for each ability only if the two abilities are used by the same hero? Also, does the Base Order ID have to be different for each level of the ability? (stupid question prolly, but I wanna be sure)

Meanwhile, I'll try to make "Wrath of the Heavens" using channel. Shouldve tried that with the original post as you mentioned Cidzero, thx again.

This is all really confusing, but I think I can see a light at the end of the tunnel now :)

notsoexpert

Reaction score
1. All abilities on a unit should have a different Use/Active order id so that the game doesn't try to cast two spells at once.
2. When using Channel, I choose the Use/Activate order id and then I copy and paste it in all the Base Order Id fields. (So no, it doesn't need to be different for every level)
3. The "MUI" part of abilities (Multi-Unit Instanceable) is all based on the triggered part; in other words, no, it doesn't matter how many different units have the same triggered ability, and they should be able to use it at any time they feel (if it is triggered appropriately to allow MUIness)
As for the triggered part being MUI, there are several ways to obtain this, but since you are probably using GUI the most logical would be arrays using custom value of units.

(note: i know MUIness is a little offtopic)

edit: make sure the Data - Options: field has visible checked
Also, I'm not sure if the Buff field is clearable, but you could make a custom buff with a brief description.
"This unit has called upon an Arch Angel guardian."

Reaction score
Explains a lot. Is there any other way to remove it?

Do you only need to change the Base Order ID for each ability only if the two abilities are used by the same hero? Also, does the Base Order ID have to be different for each level of the ability? (stupid question prolly, but I wanna be sure)

Meanwhile, I'll try to make "Wrath of the Heavens" using channel. Shouldve tried that with the original post as you mentioned Cidzero, thx again.

This is all really confusing, but I think I can see a light at the end of the tunnel now :)

You cannot remove a buff. The best you can do is set the duration to 0.01, which does not work at all if you need the buff.

You also cannot change the base order id of abilities. The only abilities with this field are channel, spell book, exchange gold/lumber and maybe one more I have forgotten. No, it doesn't need to be different each level. Infact it's probably better to keep it the same for each level so you know which id's you've used and which you haven't.

Also, order strings are not the same as base order id's, changing them does nothing as far as I know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.