Spells Vs Abilities. What's the difference?

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Geez, I even sound stupid just putting that title up there.

Anyway my (noob) question for the day is this: What is the difference between spells and abilities? Are those two words used interchangeably on this forum or is that an actual difference? I've searched for this, but everyone seems to use them interchangably anyway.

To my mind a spell is something that uses magic. An ability is something that a unit can DO. Like this:
Frost Nova, Heal, Mirror Image = Spell
Pounce, Bladestorm, Omnislash, Eat, Attack, Move = Ability
(not sure where Windwalk would fit into these two)

But both types can use dummy units or triggers to create the desired effect. So what's the difference? If there is a difference it's got to be more than just physical / spiritual "meanings" for this game. Otherwise they ARE the same thing.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
>Are those two words used interchangeably on this forum

Yep. It was Blizzard that calls it "Ability" (ability editor)

chovynz

Reaction score
Ok that helps. I've been looking at other people's posts with the "difference" in mind. So I got confused when some people ask for Spells and someone replies with an Ability. Or I go to reply with an ability and they dont like that "Spell."

A stupid little mind thing, but it was there anyway. Fixed now. :) Thanks Duw.
Anyone else want to comment on this topic before it gets buried? ;)

Tonks

Reaction score
Personally, I catergorize them as different sections of magic in my mind.
To me, spells are something that you actively cast and use, and something that you learn.
Abilities are something that you may actively cast and use, but are generally more of a passive. Also, they're something that you have without training or learning them.
Just my opinion ;)

So, yea, I kinda see it the same way as you, chov.

chovynz

Reaction score
Interesting.

So for you tonks a level 3 warstomp would be a spell?
and a no level autocast heal would be an ability?

Tonks

Reaction score
Interesting.

So for you tonks a level 3 warstomp would be a spell?
and a no level autocast heal would be an ability?

Well, no, not really. There're a few exceptions to everything. They kind of fall into category as you see them.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
I say they're both the same thing-and they are used that way in discussion. You go into definitions its different but for all warcraft 3 mapmaking purposes, that gigantic Sashi leap in ToB is still a spell.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Originaly all things on unit what you could click are abilities. Beacause they aquire mana to cast (Mostly) they are reffered as spells too. Beacasue using magic power.

lh2705

Just another Helper
Reaction score
Won't it feel weird if a unit has a spell named slash??
I think abilities can be used generally, physical and magical, but i think Jazradel's right...

I would call physical abilities Skills
and magical abilities would be Spells
and the both of them are under abilities...

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Is it really important how you call them? In my eyes its the same thing. Well sometimes I think about "magical abilities" and "physical abilities" but its not really that important.
Also note that some people call them "moves". That really confused me until I finally figured what they reffered to.

And how is Omnislash a physical ability? :rolleyes:

chovynz

Reaction score
I would call Omnislash a physical ability because he gets heightened speed and slashes 3 - 8 times very quickly. It's targets are organic, ground and enemy. Even if he does become invulnerable, It's still more of a physical ability than a magic or spiritual spell.

As opposed to a Bladestorm of Frost where a caster casts ice and slow magiks and makes him immune to magic. Thats more a spiritual spell.

But you're right. It doesn't really matter if you call them spells or abilities. They basically are made the same way, and sit in the same places on the UI.

(Btw In my first post I said Bladestorm was a physical ability. I didn't realise there already was a Bladestorm of Frost, which I would call a spell. What I was thinking with Bladestorm (ability) was something similiar to OmniSlash where the triggering unit does these twirls spinning around very fast. The same character who does Omnislash does it but I can't remember the name of the ability.)

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
By physical, I meant it did damage that could be reduce by armor. And magical as in spells affected by magic resistance.

It does actually matter if you think of it like that.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
If to think about it, magical spells all influence something or somebody physically. (Even non damaging, armor bonus still makes you stronger, doesn't it?)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.