US News Spicy Cheetos are sending kids to the emergency room

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Super spicy chips and snack foods have come under attack as being unhealthy, with certain school districts even going so far as to ban some brands from their schools.But now doctors say there's another reason spicy junk food should be avoided: It can result in a trip to the emergency room.

Emergency room doctors said they were seeing kids and some adults coming into the ER with gastritis, an inflamed stomach lining, or other stomach ailments after eating bags of spicy snack foods.
In Los Angeles, 12-year-old Andrew Medina experienced stomach pain on and off for weeks before seeing a doctor.

It's "like if you have a bruise or something. It really hurts a lot," is how Andrew described the pain to ABC station KABC-TV in Los Angeles.

Andrew told KABC that he probably eats between 20 to 30 bags of spicy chips and snacks a month.
The practice among kids and adolescents to not only eat junk food but very spicy junk food worries doctors, who say spicy snack foods can change the pH balance in the stomach, making it painfully acidic.

Dr. Martha Rivera, a pediatrician at White Memorial Medical Center in Los Angeles, said she sees between five and six cases of children with gastritis daily.

Read more here.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Wait, spicy food is not acidic, those 2 things have nothing in common.
So why would eating spicy chips change your pH balance to the acid side?
Why are spicy chips acidic when neither normal chips nor spicy food is?

Reactions: Dan

Zakyath

yeah, if you eat 30 bags of chips in a month you've got some serious issues, which probably stem from deeper issues than with implementation of your diet

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Hot cheetos contain: folic acid, citric acid, lactic acid, sodium citrate, onion powder, garlic powder... all acids.

They actually don't contain any chilis at all.

Story Time: When I was in grade school, on hot days, kids would eat hot cheetos, drink water, and then throw up constantly. It was actually really common on summer days. We would all joke about it because it was hard to finish a bag of hot cheetos back then and then down some water and not toss it all up. Seeing this story so many years later is humorous to me because of the conclusions that we came to back then.

:)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Aren't those the ones advertised as setting drapes on fire?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Ah, flammable spit. Comes with every package of hot chips and salsa sauce.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    My boyfriend is super into Bethesda modding so I'm probably going to join him in that for a bit, then move on to making mobile/browser games.
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    I mostly just want to look at my old projects because I know I posted uploads on here somewhere.
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    My one game was basically Among Us but you sabotaged an entire medieval city simulated drastically inefficiently with dynamic NPCs :S
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    of course I never finished it x D
  • jonas jonas:
    xD
  • jonas jonas:
    I think you can still run the original game, just there's a chance your map won't work with the newer patches
  • jonas jonas:
    what development framework have you been looking at for mobile development?
  • jonas jonas:
    I'm currently creating (as a hobby) a space invaders like game for mobile using Xamarin, after starting a few larger projects that I also may not have finished :rolleyes::p
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Awesome! you should look at the Atari VCS platform it does not have a huge user base but the one it has is super active at around 11k and they have no games in there store
  • The Helper The Helper:
    basically it is linux
  • The Helper The Helper:
    OMG it is BanLord as Blackveiled on the forum
  • The Helper The Helper:
    what is up buddy
  • jonas jonas:
    thanks for the tip, that sounds cool. Never heard about the VCS before but seems like it should be a good match
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The winter vacation left a toll on me. I missed staying up late and sleeping in late.
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    i haven't looked into it yet
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    If I could use something Python compatible it would save me some learning
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    But Unity might be easiest
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    looking at old posts here makes me happy. Makes me be all like "wow I was pretty smart in 2009"
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    mostly failing at life through adulthood really demotivated me for a while
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    ....what I don't get is why the fuck they would force us to permanently convert to a version of the game everyone fucking hated : \
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    Raid Shadow Legends texture pack smh
  • jonas jonas:
    Most people fail at life throughout their adulthood. Sometimes we get to learn from it. Usually it just feels like crap.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What does not kill you makes you stronger is what they say
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    for real! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome