Sci/Tech Spider Silk Could Weave Biodegradable Computer Chips

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Spiders and some insects use silk to build strong webs and spin cocoons, and now scientists have figured out how to use the material for something even more amazing: electronic computer chips.

Many people have heard that spider silk is a sort of supermaterial: stronger than steel, tougher than Kevlar, and yet incredibly malleable and flexible. But the silk has other properties that make it ideal for use in electronic devices. Light can travel through a silk strand as easily as it does through a fiber optic cable.

“When we first tested spider silk, we didn’t know what to expect,” said physicist Nolwenn Huby of the Institut de Physique de Rennes in France. “We thought, ‘Why not try this as an optical fiber to propagate light?’”

Huby and her team were able to transmit laser light down a short strand of the silk on an integrated circuit chip. The silk worked much like glass fiber optic cables, meaning it could carry information for electronic devices, though it had about four orders of magnitude more loss than the glass. Huby said that with a coating and further development, the silk could one day have better transmission capabilities. She will present her results at this year’s Frontiers in Optics conference, Oct. 14 to 18 in Rochester, New York.

Last edited by a moderator:

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Man, that be sick, a Spider man computer made from Spider Silk. No wonder spider man can think so fast.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Just a question: if it's biodegradable, doesn't that mean it will need to be repaired constantly?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a question: if it's biodegradable, doesn't that mean it will need to be repaired constantly?
That depends.
It might be that it only degrades if it is combined with some kind of chemical, water maybe, or acid, or something.

But i dont really understand why they would need degradeable computer chips.
These chips consist mostly of metals and silicium which both can be recycled.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
But i dont really understand why they would need degradeable computer chips. These chips consist mostly of metals and silicium which both can be recycled.
Maybe because, they Just wanna be famous or something like that.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
They are looking for alternatives to those metals. Once found, they will process it, refine it, and produce cheaper electronics.

What if I told you that computers bought in the future are cheaper than your 8GB usb drive?

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
No thanks, my dislike for arachnids borders on the psychotic already, I don't want any part of them integrating into my computers...

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Sometimes. Usually you don't get an entirely different computer every year, but change out parts that are outdated. There are instances, such as ensuring software works on whatever hardware specifications, that you may need one every year though. I usually just change certain parts out of mine, but the fact remains that there are circumstances where it's to some extent necessary.

And if this computer would be cheap and disposable, then yes, it would make sense to get a new all the time. I could see a kind of future where that's to some extent standard.

And at this point we're talking about something that has barely been tested. With appropriate applications, it could be very effective.

FireCat

Reaction score
Maybe it would be effective . But still, how many Spiders and insects do they need to make one chip? How long would it take to make one. Well, and also It's a living thing. They aren't robots who can make silk when you want it. So Is It really worth It?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Come on dude. I think you intentionally make things incomprehensible.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it would be effective . But still, how many Spiders and insects do they need to make one chip? How long would it take to make one. Well, and also It's a living thing. They aren't robots who can make silk when you want it. So Is It really worth It?
And besides, you can manufacture spider silk with the help of manipulations with goats and spider genes.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Every time I find a house spider, now I can boost my CPU performance!

FireCat

Reaction score
And besides, you can manufacture spider silk with the help of manipulations with goats and spider genes.
That might be another matter. But If animals are used for such thing hmm Well, if anybody "thinks they can convince me" then please go ahead.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.