Report SpongeBob in hot water from study of 4-year-olds

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants is in hot water from a study suggesting that watching just nine minutes of that program can cause short-term attention and learning problems in 4-year-olds.

The problems were seen in a study of 60 children randomly assigned to either watch "SpongeBob," or the slower-paced PBS cartoon "Caillou" or assigned to draw pictures. Immediately after these nine-minute assignments, the kids took mental function tests; those who had watched "SpongeBob" did measurably worse than the others.

Previous research has linked TV-watching with long-term attention problems in children, but the new study suggests more immediate problems can occur after very little exposure - results that parents of young kids should be alert to, the study authors said.

Kids' cartoon shows typically feature about 22 minutes of action, so watching a full program "could be more detrimental," the researchers speculated, But they said more evidence is needed to confirm that.

Last edited:

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
It's the kids that have attention problems.

Spongebob is too awesome and funny for it to cause ADHS.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It's the kids that have attention problems.

Spongebob is too awesome and funny for it to cause ADHS.

Maybe instead of saying that everyone that doesn't fit into their psychological niche has a problem they could do research into why it is many of those problem kids do noticeably better in various subjects, and it seems to me that their results have a very minimal difference. Last time I went to a psychologist, I was diagnosed as 100% likely to have schizophrenia (I assure you I do not), so I may be somewhat biased to disagree with anything they say, however it seems to me the tests are usually extremely stupid. And WTF is this Caillou show? What happened to the good old shows like Doug and Angry Beavers?

On a side note, did the kids who watched Rocko's Modern Life do any better?

NoobImbaPro

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I've watched from 4 years old cartoons, almost the whole program (3 hours) without any consequences.
And I am sure almost all of us don't have these kind of problems.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
However, the study did point out how my little brother wasn't able to calm down and have learning issues. He's been watching a lot of Spongebob Squarepants.

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
That show is pretty entertaining, but it is pretty damn goofy. When I was a kid I watched Cartoon Network: Samurai Jack, Courage, Edd'Ed'n'Eddy and all that classic stuff.. Also there was this show Time Squad that actually thought me a good bunch of basic history, at least for a kid.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes, Tiny Toons, The Flintstones, some Boomerang classics, Pink Panther, Toonami, Pokemon the first and second seasons, etc.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
One time I blew pepper into my friends eyes as a goof because I had seen it on those old school cartoons. Did not make him sneeze though. More like hit the ground crying and screaming for like 10 or 15 minutes. He had contacts in and it got all in his eyes and it was horrible. The funny thing though I was like 23 years old when I did it :)

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
Don't forget Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes, Tiny Toons, The Flintstones, some Boomerang classics, Pink Panther, Toonami, Pokemon the first and second seasons, etc.

There's just too much awesomness from the old Cartoon Network, I can't mention it all.

Except Pokemon. Even when I was 4 I thought that was hell'a dumb.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
When I was a kid I snorted pepper for some reason all the time... can I attribute this to cartoons?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.