It was great fun at first, but then at the later creature phase and tribal phase, it got rather repetitive, and the civ phase was rather short and simple. But the space stage makes up for it, it becomes a whole different game with many pros and cons. There is a lot room for improvement, but the game is still really, really good.
It is rather hard to explain when you haven't played the game, but I will try my best.
Here is the biggest one in the space stage
-Incidents in many various forms can happen on your planets and on allies planet, if you are half way cross the universe, they still call you to help them. And this happens, a lot. If you are unlucky you could get these emergency calls once per minute. And you cant ignore them either, I think. They will destroy the eco-system on the planet and will ruin them sooner or later.
-Another one in the space stage is once you have finished the game your scroll button will probably be broken. You will have to use it, a lot.
-Also, in late space stage, when your empire is huge and you have lots of colonies (which produce spices, which can be sold for lots of gold) you will have problem collecting these spices. You have to travel to each planet separately too collect the spice, and that will be hard to keep track of once your empire is getting bigger.
Another issue (at least for me) was the simplicity and the length of the civ stage.
-It was extremely short, you can complete it in about 10 minutes if you'd like. And it was really simple too, but maybe you find it funnier.
These are the few things I thought was annoying, I bet you find some of them ain't, but then you will probably find more annoying things. It is still a great game and I will definitively replay it sometime.
Spore is one of the biggest letdowns in my gaming history.
I played through the whole thing, as did my buddy, about 30 minutes after it came out. And all I have to say:
1. I was expecting something more...simlike? It's pretty much 100% planned out, and even on hard, the AI is horrible.
2. It feels like 4 minigames, and 1 even more half assed, buggy minigame.
3. There are like, 6 buildings to build on each mode. In this age of games, at least give us some more variety, right? I mean, cool, you can make them look how you want, but come on Maxis...
4. On top of that, you can only place them in certain, pre-determined areas. Okay, cool. But give us more room, come on. ;P
5. Even on hard, get the max room for your Group, and some body part with rank 4 Strike, and you can own any tribe on any difficultly with little to no deaths.
I've waited months for this game to come out, and the creature creator is 300x the game Spore is. Sad too, when that was simply a "preview" to spore. :thdown:
Overall: I wouldn't recommend it. The replay value lacks. :thdown:
Well, I know a few other game developpers that've been working for over a decade to get a game out. Some still haven't finished it, but won severalvaporwareawards and even a lifetime achievement. So: nothing to see here, pass along.
I think I would've liked it more if it had just concentrated on the pre-civilization stages and simplified it less.
Could've been awesome, but now it felt too much like just a toy with half a game built around it.