Staff Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
But it doesn't look like the Georgia I know.

Georgia Bold and Italics. With Fancy Background and shadow.

Prose of the Week

Anyway; Fruit Salad will continue to be in the Prose, just I didn't have one last week. I will include two episodes this week, but hopefully just with links to my site so that the Prose of the Week isn't cluttered with two stories. (I will have you or KC edit them before I add them to my site.)

Edit - I may do what Romek suggested in the Chat and make it like a news article. The first few lines in the Prose, and then a link to the rest.

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
Why are we trying to change the prose. Just put everything back to the way it was. Your trying to fix something that is not broken.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Why are we trying to change the prose. Just put everything back to the way it was. Your trying to fix something that is not broken.

Seth disliked the format we had before, and Ninva and I wanted a more professional look. So that is what we're going for. However, we haven't changed that much. I mean banners are the biggest of changes, so far.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Georgia Bold and Italics. With Fancy Background and shadow.

Prose of the Week

I don't like the fancy stuff. I modeled the Prose after NEWSWEEK. I kinda want it to stay on that path.

The format is good. This can be changed ten times over, and I like the one we are currently using. It looks cleaner.

The font shouldn't be changed though.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't like the fancy stuff. I modeled the Prose after NEWSWEEK. I kinda want it to stay on that path.

The format is good. This can be changed ten times over, and I like the one we are currently using. It looks cleaner.

The font shouldn't be changed though.

I don't consider it that fancy, I mean its not Arial but it isn't cursive stuff.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
We really need to find a format and agree to it as constant changes look unprofessional.

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
My imput than. The less "professional" look, that Ninva had going, was less chaotic and less cluttered in my opinion.

DM Cross

Reaction score
My imput than. The less "professional" look, that Ninva had going, was less chaotic and less cluttered in my opinion.

My comment was not directed at you, but rather Miz and Ninva going back and forth about the banners.

Sorry if I was misunderstood.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Do we need a shadow? Why must we change the font?

Prose of the Week

It's classy and simple. No shadows or loops are necessary.

We should host a poll somewhere.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I personally don't care. So long as it's the most popular choice and is done that way every week.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Do we need a shadow? Why must we change the font?

Prose of the Week

It's classy and simple. No shadows or loops are necessary.

We should host a poll somewhere.

I will remove the shadow tomorrow, after Swim Team Practice, ASAP, if that is what everyone wants. I used the Georgia Font, already, so I don't get what you mean by "loops", but I will follow exactly that format.

(The blizzard report though can keep the Blizzard Logo right? I may edit it though)

Edit - Okay Ninva I will wait to do so.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I'm beginning to believe someone should propose that we begin collecting an idea of articles we need every week and if someone is unavailable to get that article, we still need to have it filled by someone else.

Some general ideas for article ideas;

WE
Anime
RP
Music
Movies
Games
WC
GA
Member submitted other articles like Fruit Salad from this week or Rappunk's poem from last week

Discuss.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I give the RP Forum and Anime Forum Articles already but every other week as there is not as many posts in those two forums to have enough content for an article every week.

I also do Upcoming Movies every week, but this weekend I am completely busy so I didn't do it this week. xD
Fruit Salad should have one or two entries per week.

However, I think we should get more article writers first before we think of setting up alternates.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I also do Upcoming Movies every week, but this weekend I am completely busy so I didn't do it this week. xD

Then someone else should have done it.

Fruit Salad should have one or two entries per week.

Fruit Salad is member-submitted and as thus, do not "count". No offense.

However, I think we should get more article writers first before we think of setting up alternates.

Alternates are simply the other writers or the other staff members. Not whole other writers that never write for us.

Writer A does sports
Writer B does anime

Writer A is unavailable to do Sports.
We have Writer B do Sports this week, not Writer C who has never written an article for us.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
I do Anime of the Week, and other anime-related articles like conventions, events, anime news, cosplay, etc.

If I'm too busy, I only submit Anime of the Week. (this week was a gnarly run for me, projects, roleplays, tons of homework and remedial classes).

The format is ok. The last one was fine, but I think this is better.

For my weekly article, is this introductory banner ok?

Anime of the Week
Name/Title

Or you guys will set up the fonts.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Actually, I prefer it mostly if you guys don't format too much in your articles. I seem to have to replace a lot of codes, especially text sizing. Only headers should be large. Then size goes down as you hit sections and then actual article titles, which are normal sized but bolded.

There really wasn't nothing different in this Prose compared to last week. Just fewer articles.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Then someone else should have done it.

Kind of hard speaking that entire section is based off of the Upcoming Movie thread, that I update and the reason why it didn't have an article is because I didn't update it this week (yet).

I do like your system but first we have to find people interested enough to be Writer A and B and would consider switching roles on short notice.
we need some kind of organization here because most people don't even write their articles till Saturday. Giving the Alternate-Writer very little time to finish. So someone would have to report their absents fairly early, which many people on this forum forget things.

I still suggest the social group, because we probably need more then one thread for this kind of operation and a social group is out of the way so I think it should help us. But its up to you guys, I am not going to make the decision, even though I don't mind running and modding the Social Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.