Star Control 2 - The Ur Quan Masters

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, this game is not an online game rather it is a PC port of an old 3DO game called Star Control 2. Big Deal you say? Ya - this game rocks! I played back in the 90's when I had my 3DO and have been playing non stop for the last few weeks since I dont have my Internet Connection. The site is

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

You can download the whole thing for free - you simply have to play this game, it is freaking hilarious and DEEP. The game plays out differently depending on how you react to the situations. The alien races are hilarious, and listen to the music in the background. This is one helluv a game people, you should check it out - and its free!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone from here tried this game yet? I have been playing the crap out of it for the last few weeks. Off and on I think I have been playing this game over 10 years and still have not beat it :)

Sargon

Reaction score
Just downloaded it. Awesome game. Really hard though. Freaking probe things keep killing most of my crew before I can retreat, and my main ship still sucks at fighting. Grr.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
On the probe use the Earthling Cruiser, fire two quick shots from a distance at the probe it will take 3 direct hits to kill it. If you have to use your Flagship against the probes make sure you have plenty of crew and press the escape key and that will warp you out of the zone. The probes are a nuisance that you can get rid of a little later in the game. Make sure you check Pluto, also Rigel is a close star system check there. Alpha Centauri is also close and there is something there as well.

When you are outfitting your ship anti gravity thrusters will make you move faster in hyperspace. Always buy an extra lander and keep it with you. Dont waste you time and fuel when you are mining on the white dots because they are only worth like one resource.

Always keep a notebook around to write down the clues. If you miss a clue in the dialog hit the space bar after the dialog and a dialog history box will come up and you can get clue there.

Sargon

Reaction score
The Helper said:
On the probe use the Earthling Cruiser, fire two quick shots from a distance at the probe it will take 3 direct hits to kill it. If you have to use your Flagship against the probes make sure you have plenty of crew and press the escape key and that will warp you out of the zone. The probes are a nuisance that you can get rid of a little later in the game. Make sure you check Pluto, also Rigel is a close star system check there. Alpha Centauri is also close and there is something there as well.

Gotten all those things. I actually already got to the homeworld of the guys you meet in Rigel. There were a bunch of those black ships around, though, so it was pretty freaky trying to get in and out. Almost lost my whole crew getting caught by them in hyperspace.

Thanks about the anti-probe tip! Homing missiles are nice, aren't they?

When you are outfitting your ship anti gravity thrusters will make you move faster in hyperspace. Always buy an extra lander and keep it with you. Dont waste you time and fuel when you are mining on the white dots because they are only worth like one resource.

Always keep a notebook around to write down the clues. If you miss a clue in the dialog hit the space bar after the dialog and a dialog history box will come up and you can get clue there.

Only clue I haven't written down so far is the one about where the probes come from, but I can always go back and talk to the guy who gave me that hint again.

The dialogue in this game is really funny, by the way.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Even in 2022 this is still a great game and is still available! I played this back in the days of the 3DO and even Star Control 1 as shareware on my little pos 386 laptop I had back in the Win 3.1 days. The Ur-Quan Masters FTW!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.