Starcraft 2 Balance Mod

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was thinking lately about how I would like sc2 to be.
It is a nice game, but there are a few things i dont like about it and it would be great to see them changed.
But i dont think blizzard would ever do that, so i was thinking about maybe trying to use the editor to create an own balance mod.

I dont have much time so i am not going to just do it now.
What I rather wanna do is share my ideas with you guys to get some feedback. Because maybe my ideas are really aweful and then I would just waste my time, but maybe you all guys agree with me and then I would get enough motivation to do it.

So here are the changes, and reasons for them, I would like to take on the game:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Zerg:
I think the early zerg vs zerg game is pretty pretty aweful because of how easily you can place overlords everywhere. Zerg needs early anti-air and so i would like to make hydralisks the zergs t1.5 and put roaches into t2. Every other race has early anti-air, only zerg does not. Early hydras would make up for that.
Of course, dps and hp would need to be changed accordingly.

I would remove the Pathogen Glands upgrade and rather give the infestors the ability to feed on their own allied units to restore energy. This ability would need to be researched first. (like defilers in sc1)

Ultralisks would get smaller, right now they are okay units, the problem is just that you cannot really use them because they are too damn big. They block each other and they block allied units. Being just a little bit smaller would make them that much more effective.

I would say zerg needs another supportive caster unit, i was thinking about maybe a t3 upgrade for the queen which morphs it into a flying caster queen like in sc1 with supportive abilities.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Terran:
Big changes for terran.
To make the TvP matchup much more interesting i would remove the EMP ability from the ghost and give it to the raven instead. The raven is hardly used, now it would get a great useability in that matchup.
To make up for the EMP the ghost would get the ability to place spider mines from SC1 or similar mines. This way ghosts could be used much more supportively.
The snipe ability would be changed to deal 50 dmg vs Light, 25 against everything else making them much more useful against zealots, zerglings, banelings and marines. Maybe even with autocast, but i am not sure.
The raven would lose the seeker missle and the point defense drone (more about that later) but get a scouting ability instead. Maybe spawning an invisible scouting drone with timed life.

Reapers are hardly being used, if at all for early game harrassment, and then not more then 1 or 2 at max. I would remove them and use the firebats instead as a replacement for the hellions.

Hellions and thors will be gone. Vikings would now be build in the factory as t1.5 and goliath (or similar) mech units instead of thors. Vikings get an upgrade to deal anti-air splash damage, get faster attack speed against ground too and morph a little bit faster.
Goliath (or similar mech) would be the more speedy, smaller but less powerful equivalent to thors.

Not sure about stim packs. Terran bio is way too strong in my opinion. Not that its op, but its boring to watch. Its the same in every match up. Either make stim a t3 upgrade, or give it to the medivacs. They would then be able to either heal, or give the bio the atk/mvt speed bonus. Like 2 auto-cast abilities heal and stim of which only one can be used at any time.

Scanner search does not make the area visible anymore but reveals all invisible units for a longer period of time. Ravens can use scouting drones to scout.
For Protoss:
(very little changes here)
Observers become a little bit more costly and the building time is increased but therefor they get the point defense drone laser. They have energy like the PDD and they will shoot at incoming missles like the PDD making them very useful to defend against stalkers, marauders or mutalisks.

The nexus gets an ability to create a temporary shield bonus (150 shields) to any protoss building/unit on the map (50 energy).

Protoss also needs a really powerful anti-air unit to counter collosus. PvP is too much collosus focused. Its all about who gets more collosus out first, no variations likely.
I am not quite sure if thats all or not, but in my opinion those changes could make the game much better. My problem right now is that there is way too little variation in the builds you can do. TvP, PvP, TvT, thats almost always the same.
I want to see mech in TvP, want to see ravens being used, ultralisks being used, hydras being used, etc.
I think right now the protoss race has the most useful units overall. There are only very few protoss units which are not being used right now, carriers for example. But almost all other are seen regularily.
But thats not true for terran and zerg. And i would like to change that.

What do you guys think about those ideas? Do you think it would make things better? Worse?
Any advice?

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
some of these ideas are pretty nice, however you have to keep in mind that the strategies right now is limited because there are still 2 expansions worth of units to come + balancing. That being said ill put in my inputs.

I don't quite see your point of overlords for ZvZ, the most horrible thing about ZvZ is that its so volatile, most of the games is either you win with speedlings + blings or you lose with them. Probably about 1/4 of games actually goes past early game. However this matchup is much more micro intensive and quite frankly can be a lot of fun sometimes so im fine with it right now.
Removing pathogen gland is a bad idea, unlike other caster units they can't attack like ghost or warped in anywhere like HT and lets be honest infested terran is only really useful for harassment or when you don't have energy after you fungal. Ultra is a good idea, unlike maps in SC1, maps nowadays are much smaller and filled with small choke points.

Im pretty much against every change for terran here, except maybe stim, just maybe. A terran with perfect mechanics and micro that goes bio only will ALWAYS beat a zerg thats on the same level. Theres no counter to marines when microed properly, the most cost efficient unit in the game costing 50 mules + mules = OP terran. My input nerf mules to a normal worker amount of minerals carried. Viking as T1.5 with splash = no muta will ever be built again.

maybe ill add more later but /rant as of now

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

The reasons for the changes i recommended are quite complex. I did, in fact, think alot about it.

For one, the terran stim pack upgrade is way too important in my opinion. Not saying its over powered or imbalanced or anything. But i think its role in terran build orders is way too big.
There is NO TvT or TvP without stim packs.
Against Zerg stim pack is also the standard (except for very rare pure mech play).

And i think this is not good. It makes the matches boring if you see stim bio in every game. There is not enough room for other build orders. Thats why i think stim pack should be changed in some way or the other. And terran should get an alternative.

About the EMP, again, ghosts are bio, and TvP is exclusively pure bio play right now. Ravens are hardly ever used. It makes sense in my opinion to give the EMP ability to ravens. They are t3, just as well as high templars and archons. They would get much more useful this way.
Ghosts would get an other great ability to make up for it. Maybe not placing mines, but something other, but still useful.

About mech. I think terran mech has the biggest problem with air units. Thors, however, are not really useful against air at all. They have splash, yes, but they are big, slow, and clumsy. They are rarely able to even shoot at their targets, and when they do, the splash doesnt help them because of a split.
Even blizzard thinks thors should go, in heart of the swarm they will be removed.

About the vikings. I know, this seems very strange at first, but keep in mind, vikings are actually battle mechs. They would spawn from the factory in ground form.
Right now, unfortunately, vikings are not very useful. You use them against broodlords in TvZ or against collosus in TvP, and in TvT you only use them to get the vision range for your tanks.
They cannot be used seriously for anti air because they lose against mutalisks, they lose against phoenix, they lose against void rays, and nobody ever builds carriers.
And they deal far less damage per second then stimmed marines.

They could potentially be good harassment units, being able to fly behind enemy mineral lines and morph to ground form. But nobody uses this because vikings cost alot of money, need a long time to morph, and, again, are weaker then stimmed marines.

But if we make vikings factory units they gain damage upgrades from siege tanks (more likely to be researched) and if their anti-air attack deals splash they become much more useful in general, against mutalisks for example.
Decreasing morphin time would also enable their use as harassment units.

But with vikings for harassment you can cut out the other harassment units like reapers or hellions. Why hellions? Because bio would now get nerfed quite a bit and giving bio the fire bats would open up more possibilities in TvZ and TvP for bio to make up for the nerf.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.