Starcraft 2 Campaign Discussion (May contain spoilers)

punwisp

Reaction score
IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE CAMPAIGN SPOILERS THEN STOP READING THIS THREAD NOW!!!

What do you guys think of the campaign? I think its friggin awesome :D
The ending was awesome too, it had that sad revelation. I think they could really pull off a movie if they stuck with the same CGI cinematics they used for the cutscenes. Poor Tychus... Though I saw it coming. However I expected him to kill Jim at some point. However it seems kinda dumb Mengsk let him loose to kill Kerrigan what? Did he think he would have the chance?

its also nice about the de-infestation of Kerrigan, tho I personally hoped I would see more of her...Physically in the end, if you know what I mean >.> she was hot...In non-zerg form.

Thoughts on the campaign? And what will happen next?

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Story ending was ultimately lame.

It was entertaining, I dont deny that, but it makes no sense at all, at least for me who still remembers vanilla and broodwar campaigns and their story.

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
How did it make no sense? You also have to take into consideration that it IS a trilogy, and that many things that are not answered in Part 1 will be in the future parts.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Broodwar was all about how Kerrigan manipulates everyone, controls everything and eventually defeats not only the new overmind, controlled by UED, but also fleets of Shakuras Protoss, Mengsks Dominion, and the UED fleet at the same time.

And now she suddently gets defeated by Raynor, and this makes no sense, because how badly everything is written.

You simply feel that Raynor wins the whole thing, because its you playing a terran campaign, which is supposed to end with Terrans winning the final fight. The writing and the story, however, dont support this at all.

Its very badly written actually. Both story and dialogs.

No more awesome quotes from Zeratul, eh..

kingbdogz

Reaction score
Yes but you also have to remember that Kerrigan had the guidance of the Cerebates and Duran throughout the entire story. Duran has been manipulating Kerrigan, believe it or not. He used her to get rid of anything that could potentially destroy the Zerg, which would allow the Dark Voice to use the Zerg. Sure, the Hybrids are powerful, but if the Dark Voice can control the Zerg as well he will have much better chances in that final battle.

Think about it for a second;

There is some mysterious guy called "Dr Narud" (Duran spelt backwards) who, for some strange reason, knows about the Xel'Naga artifacts. In one of the missions where you prevent Kerrigan from getting one of the artifact pieces, she says "I see through your doctor, Jim". Coincidence?

Why is Kerrigan trying to get these artifacts? Why is she so clearly desperate to get these things before Jim and his crew? Because she knows, when it comes down to it, that these things will revert her back to human. Kerrigan is aware of the prophecy, that much is obvious in the Zeratul VS Kerrigan cinematic. She knows that Duran is attempting to diminish her powers.

What does this mean? Reverting Kerrigan into human could have potentially been as bad as killing her. Duran (or Dr Narud) has been building up to this all along. He is working for the Dark Voice, he isn't the Dark Voice itself. If you look back to the Brood War secret mission, he says "I am working for a far greater power than Kerrigan. Kerrigan could not accomplish a feat such as this" or something along those lines. He does not mention that he himself has larger plans to control the universe. He is simply a pawn to the Dark Voice.

In the Starcraft 2 secret mission, you find a Dominion platform that is cloning Hybrids. Valerian (Arcturus Mengks' son) is in control of Dr Narud and his team, so this is clearly under the control of Duran. He's manipulating the Dominion and using them as a way to mass produce these Hybrids, and more importantly, he's manipulating Jim in order to revert Kerrigan back into human. Why else would Duran want to de-infest Kerrigan? To make Jim happy? No, he wants to remove all possible threats to make the final battle swift and easy, and in this case, he is removing Kerrigan's power to control the swarm (making it easier for the Dark Voice to use the Zerg).

Zeratul: "I bring tidings of doom. The xel'naga return, the cycle nears its end, the artifacts are the key."
Jim Raynor: "The key... the key to what?"
Zeratul: "To the end of all things."

The key to all things. By de-infesting Kerrigan with the artifacts, it triggers the end of all things.

My point is is that Kerrigan was only great because she had the assistance of Duran, and in some cases, the cerebrates. Looking back to all those missions, a LOT of things were suggested by Duran, and in the end, Kerrigan followed through with those plans. I highly doubt that Jim could be manipulated by Kerrigan AGAIN, he's not that stupid. Some things can only happen once. All along, it was Duran doing all the work. He's the mastermind who's been manipulating these people.

The story is by no means badly written, people are just seeing it as it is, you have to realize that the first part is only a grounding for the rest of the trilogy.

punwisp

Reaction score
Broodwar was all about how Kerrigan manipulates everyone, controls everything and eventually defeats not only the new overmind, controlled by UED, but also fleets of Shakuras Protoss, Mengsks Dominion, and the UED fleet at the same time.

And now she suddently gets defeated by Raynor, and this makes no sense, because how badly everything is written.

You simply feel that Raynor wins the whole thing, because its you playing a terran campaign, which is supposed to end with Terrans winning the final fight. The writing and the story, however, dont support this at all.

Its very badly written actually. Both story and dialogs.

No more awesome quotes from Zeratul, eh..

The end is one of those happy/sad moments, more on a personal level for kerrigan and jim, and I feel for them.

Heart of the swarm we find out what happens

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Now I gotta admit that what you say there indeed makes sense. Hrm.

The plot might indeed turn to be a good one. The story telling still sucks, though.

But how can Kerrigan become good again? Overmind made her a murderous bitch. Should just removing the infestation somehow change her psyche so that she can let all that stuff she did go?

People who are forced to do bad things either try to change their actions or their way of thinking about morality of their actions. Kerrigan had no chance but obey overmind who forced her to do those things. She had no choise, but to "become evil". Thats how human mind works, since it cant stand the conflict.

It kinda ruins the whole point of infestation, if in the end it wasnt really her, but just some demon in her head controlling her and making her to do all those terrible things. ( The difference between being forced to do something and being entirely mindcontrolled by some thingy )

( It would be damn coolt to see evil human Kerrigan trying to do her shit without her zerg powers and the control of the swarm, though. I just dont think they are gonna do anything like that.. )

punwisp

Reaction score
She always longed to be human again. The infestation changed a lot about her. It would be like if you suddenly could not feel remorse, guilt, or cared for anything, it completely changed who you were, but then once you got those things back, you change back into how you were, only you carry the guilt of the things you may have done. This would be like one of those things.

When she got infested, it completely changed who she was previously, completely changed her motives, and personality, so when she got de-infested, she became her old self again, and human.

And I think the story telling was great, but it was all focused on Jim and Kerrigan, with the mengsk and Hybrid plots mixed in. Of which 1/3 is finished, all there is left is mengsk and the hybrids.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Honestly, not everyone is a lore hound. Some people play for gameplay, and as far as gameplay goes, it's excellent. Comparitively, the story so far isn't as good as the first one, but the story for the 2nd is not yet complete!

I wonder if the other 2 expansions will be for the other 2 races :p

punwisp

Reaction score
I think the names of them kinda give the hint :p

*such as heart of the swarm*

They stated each race gets there own campaign, which each is 1/3 of the story. And we just did part 1

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Yes but you also have to remember that Kerrigan had the guidance of the Cerebates and Duran throughout the entire story. Duran has been manipulating Kerrigan, believe it or not. He used her to get rid of anything that could potentially destroy the Zerg, which would allow the Dark Voice to use the Zerg. Sure, the Hybrids are powerful, but if the Dark Voice can control the Zerg as well he will have much better chances in that final battle.

Think about it for a second;

There is some mysterious guy called "Dr Narud" (Duran spelt backwards) who, for some strange reason, knows about the Xel'Naga artifacts. In one of the missions where you prevent Kerrigan from getting one of the artifact pieces, she says "I see through your doctor, Jim". Coincidence?

Why is Kerrigan trying to get these artifacts? Why is she so clearly desperate to get these things before Jim and his crew? Because she knows, when it comes down to it, that these things will revert her back to human. Kerrigan is aware of the prophecy, that much is obvious in the Zeratul VS Kerrigan cinematic. She knows that Duran is attempting to diminish her powers.

What does this mean? Reverting Kerrigan into human could have potentially been as bad as killing her. Duran (or Dr Narud) has been building up to this all along. He is working for the Dark Voice, he isn't the Dark Voice itself. If you look back to the Brood War secret mission, he says "I am working for a far greater power than Kerrigan. Kerrigan could not accomplish a feat such as this" or something along those lines. He does not mention that he himself has larger plans to control the universe. He is simply a pawn to the Dark Voice.

In the Starcraft 2 secret mission, you find a Dominion platform that is cloning Hybrids. Valerian (Arcturus Mengks' son) is in control of Dr Narud and his team, so this is clearly under the control of Duran. He's manipulating the Dominion and using them as a way to mass produce these Hybrids, and more importantly, he's manipulating Jim in order to revert Kerrigan back into human. Why else would Duran want to de-infest Kerrigan? To make Jim happy? No, he wants to remove all possible threats to make the final battle swift and easy, and in this case, he is removing Kerrigan's power to control the swarm (making it easier for the Dark Voice to use the Zerg).

The key to all things. By de-infesting Kerrigan with the artifacts, it triggers the end of all things.

My point is is that Kerrigan was only great because she had the assistance of Duran, and in some cases, the cerebrates. Looking back to all those missions, a LOT of things were suggested by Duran, and in the end, Kerrigan followed through with those plans. I highly doubt that Jim could be manipulated by Kerrigan AGAIN, he's not that stupid. Some things can only happen once. All along, it was Duran doing all the work. He's the mastermind who's been manipulating these people.

The story is by no means badly written, people are just seeing it as it is, you have to realize that the first part is only a grounding for the rest of the trilogy.

wow you've got a very good eye for detail. i never noticed that about dr narud. props to you for finding that. however viikuna is right about the last mission; in the last mission kerrigan tells you how duran is nowhere to be found, and everyone is attacking, and she (you?) defeats everybody herself like viikuna said, without duran (UED, protoss, dominion, jim raynor). but yes before that duran was there.
i finished the campaing but never realized about the secret campaign until after, so im going to have to go back and replay that.
i also agree that it was not poorly written, and it was very entertaining. some of the lines throughout the game seemed corny though.
cant wait for the zerg one.

kingbdogz

Reaction score
True, she did defeat them herself, however, Duran allowed her to get into that position of power.

I too look forward to the Heart of the Swarm expansion pack.

punwisp

Reaction score
Its not like its a full game, or like WoW. They don't need to make that much, there only splitting them for more profit, it won't take them long to make it, they can have it all done before christmas easy.

kingbdogz

Reaction score
They technically never delayed Starcraft 2 once, since they never gave a release date and people simply got their hopes up that it would either be this year or that year. When they gave the release date they actually didn't delay it, and released on 27th of July.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I think it was pretty short =/. But it was awesome anyway :D.

And Raynor is a fool. He saw the prophecy, knows that if anything happens to Kerrigan, the Armageddon will come and what does he do? Turns her back into a human, cutting her off from control over the Swarm and basically making her a lot easier to kill.

Also, I found it weird that she kept the Zerg "hair" xD. She was pretty ugly with the hair that way.

punwisp

Reaction score
I think it was pretty short =/. But it was awesome anyway :D.

And Raynor is a fool. He saw the prophecy, knows that if anything happens to Kerrigan, the Armageddon will come and what does he do? Turns her back into a human, cutting her off from control over the Swarm and basically making her a lot easier to kill.

Also, I found it weird that she kept the Zerg "hair" xD. She was pretty ugly with the hair that way.

Actually he changed the future.

Zeratul told him she is killed by them, and the fate of her life will lie in his hands, and he was talking about the ending, he could have let tychus kill her, but he didnt, he killed tychus, and now shes alive.

And who knows, she might still have some ties to the zerg

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I know that he did not killed her, but he weakened her at a point where she's easy to kill.

Meh, anyway, the Starcraft 2 wiki says that in Heart of the Swarm Kerrigan will try to gather the Zerg again. Beats me how is she going to do that as a human.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.