Starcraft 2 editor.

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
sup guys, I want to know, what you think the starcraft2 editor will look like.

your tools are *insert favorite image editing software here*

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
I think they will try to make it a little more graphical because Blizzard is artsy like that. My guess is it will look like the website. The blue tech armor plated on everything and little holes in the interface to show explosions.

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
I think they will try to make it a little more graphical because Blizzard is artsy like that. My guess is it will look like the website. The blue tech armor plated on everything and little holes in the interface to show explosions.

well why dont you make a photoshop picture to depict what you are saying.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
well why dont you make a photoshop picture to depict what you are saying.

Maybe we don't want to waste our time on something that is pointless. :)

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
I was wondering..
Will they have written better codes for triggers, like auto-leak-clean GUI triggers?

Exide

Reaction score
Wouldn't everyone benefit from a trigger that automatically sets a local point variable, and then destroys it, when the user says: Order X-Unit to move to Y, though? (As an example. I don't know if it's possible or not to code something like that. :p)

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
If they manage to implement decently working "unit takes damage" and "unit is attacked" events they already deserve a statue :cool:

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
You reliaze they don't actually have to improve JASS. Majority of people don't use it first of all and imo they should improve GUI and make World Editor support a different more efficient pogramming language maybe.

I prefer the editor not look cooler , maybe a recolor as it is already slow ( I have a good computer ) and adding more graphics isnt gonna help.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
I don't think skinning the editor would slow it down any, but I also don't think what the editor looks like is going to affect the people who use it. After all, having flash looking tools isnt going to improve the finished product.

ALSO,

I disagree that blizzard aren't going to improve the current GUI triggering format... everytime they release a game they improve on their previous methods and try to release a program more in line with what the customer wants, including the editing tools. I believe with what the modding community can currently achieve with the world editor (GUI or otherwise) is going to affect what is capable with WE's SC2 release.

They have already stated that the SC world editor is going to be able to create heroes, xp and items even though those things are not related to SC.... just because they are a big part of the modding scene. So it makes sense that they would also take War3 player hunger for custom spells into account and create an easier method for creating ultimates with less chance of leaking.

Well... that's my (hopeful) theory ;P

Exide

Reaction score
Is there any way one could contact Blizzard with suggestions/ideas on what functions we would like to see in the new editor?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Blizzard read the posts made on the official SC2 Blizz Forums, so if you post there then chances are that someone will read it. In fact I think one of the stickies on those forums is specifically about letting users post suggestions.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
lol I've never really been able to get onto the SC2 forums... they are getting mass spammed by some character called terrorists so the forum is constantly down for maintainence :mad:

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
it'd be pretty sweet if they had 2 editor styles (or possible 3)

a WYSIWYG editor
advanced code editor
and GUI editor

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Fully documented and open map format and (open source) tools to work with those formats, everything released at day one. Then a wc3 style editor that it good enough for most of the people and let us other develop our own stuff with the help of the specs and the released tools.

That's what I hope for and not what I think we'll get :)

Kelv

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
You reliaze they don't actually have to improve JASS. Majority of people don't use it first of all and imo they should improve GUI and make World Editor support a different more efficient pogramming language maybe.

I prefer the editor not look cooler , maybe a recolor as it is already slow ( I have a good computer ) and adding more graphics isnt gonna help.

I don't think they should create a UI at all. If they do, I can only imagine UI mods for Wc3 world editor. Basically, if your hanging a picture, you have a lot more flexibility with a basic black frame and it distracts from the real art.

I don't think we have to worry about Blizzard making the UI all colorful. They will follow similar style of basic windows colors.

Efficient programming would definitely help. But also, there are many limitations that would be helpful. Like the fact that you can only have one skin per model, there are so many more but I haven't mapped in a while but I think you get the point.

I think blizzard noticed how people have made much more advanced map designs then what they originally would have been created. Because of this, they will probably try harder to optimize codes that they would have never imagined being used.

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
My wishlist for the SC2 editor...

1) Make it a windowed application like the WC3 editor. No fancy interface or ingame editor - Civilization IV decided to do an ingame editor unlike Civilization III...*shudders* it was HORRIBLE!

2) Keep JASS (it's epic enough, I see little reason it should be changed that much or thrown out) but also keep the GUI. One thing I love about WarCraft is how you can make some incredibly flexible stuff merely by using the GUI triggering.

3) Keep it the way the WC3 maps are in terms of how they're made - you simply press a button and they launch into the game! The editor file format should be the same as the map file format. I was away from WarCraft for a while, mapping for Half-Life 2. It's not so bad when you get used to it, but I tell you this - we are VERY LUCKY. In HL the maps are a different file in the editor, then you gotta compile it and solve a ridiculous amount of compile errors, etc.

...something tells me everyone knows that. :p

4) A cinematic system similar to WarCraft III's. From the early videos (I dunno if new ones are out, I'm not big on hounding SC2 prerelease info) it seems that most of the dialog will be done with big portraits materializing with high definition renderings of the units. However, this will make it a pain for dialog from custom models, not to mention I see no place for subtitles or anything. Plus it just wouldn't be very cinematic-y now would it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.