StarCraft editing. YEAH BOY!!

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
HELL YEAH.

I think this info ripped from the Starcraft Q&A will put a smile on everyone's face. :) :) :)

Chat with Devs:[/b] One of the most popular questions we get when it comes to creating UMS (User Map Settings) games or mods is: Will there be a DotA for StarCraft II?

For those who are not familiar, DotA (Defense of the Ancients), is a popular UMS game created for Warcraft III. StarCraft compared to Warcraft III, does not focus on heroes as much, and heroes or units do not have the same experience gaining mechanic as Warcraft III, making it difficult to imagine how a game like DotA could be reproduced for StarCraft. Nonetheless, after chatting it up with our devs, we found out the ability to allow heroes and units to gain experience is built into the Map Editor, though it will not likely be in single player or standard multiplayer. In addition, those units can also be toggled to have the ability to carry an inventory, which is also a characteristic needed in UMS maps such as DotA. With those two additions, we can rest assured that our clever community modders can handle the rest in creating some awesome custom games.

So basically, everything you love about starcraft will remain unchanged, yet everything you love about custom games will be making an entrance into the starcraft universe.

(and please don't turn this into a thread about DotA.... that was just the example the blizzard team used to explain the functions of the editor... instead just jump for joy and talk about how much you can't wait for this game!)

SO... now that there is no debating that SC2 is going to be everything War3 is and then some, lets get down to business. What kind of custom game would you look forward to making?

Rad

Reaction score
Good to know they actually did keep an eye out for modders, starcraft didn't have a great editor.

The UI better be fully customizable ...

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
This should be interesting.....

Protoss vs Terran Dota style :D with zerg for creeps.

MurderMode

Reaction score
I saw this more than two weeks ago... :rolleyes:

yeah I didn't post it because it is new info, I made this thread because most people (on thehelper) still believe the editor won't allow for War III style custom games... and lets face it without being able to focus on an individual character you wouldn't be able to make a very large array of custom games.

Also worth noting, the developers said they were making it possible for people to make multiplayer campaigns which is going to be a total revolution for the rpg genre of custom games. Even if they have similar b.net caps on map size with SC2, the campaigns are going to allow people to create monster-sized projects by linking maps... and without things like exp gains or item usage this new feature would be rather pointless.

I just wanted to get it out there on the helper forums that SC2 is shaping up to be a war3 modders dream, and just because SC2 doesn't contain the warcraft hero system it is nice to know that Blizzard are taking care of every one of their fans desires.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
yeah I didn't post it because it is new info, I made this thread because most people (on thehelper) still believe the editor won't allow for War III style custom games....
Yea, I wasnt blaming you, im sure not everybody keeps up on all the news about sc2..

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great news. Mapping in SC2 will be definitely worth it. :)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
A

aznsteph

is it just me, or the zerg hatchery is wack like hell >< ? it lost its original coolness..

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would look forward to a huge Multiplayer Campaign with a nice storyline, original heroes and good balance throughout it all, and a nice story.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
So this means there's items? o_O Yay? =D

Hero Glow ftw too! lol

Well, now we know that units will be able to level up, and have an inventory. Does this also mean that abilities will be able to be leveled up as in WC3? How about gaining stats with level (Agi/Str/Int/etc.)?

MurderMode

Reaction score

My apologies, I just thought that this was very important information for members of thehelper's forums, as a large percentage of them enjoy world editing and are looking forward to the possiblities of having a similar editor for SC2. I couldn't help that the dev's used that as an example and I've made a point not to start talking about it, but if the thread has to be closed, it has to be closed.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
My apologies, I just thought that this was very important information for members of thehelper's forums, as a large percentage of them enjoy world editing and are looking forward to the possiblities of having a similar editor for SC2. I couldn't help that the dev's used that as an example and I've made a point not to start talking about it, but if the thread has to be closed, it has to be closed.
Don't worry, you just quoted what blizzard said. SFilip's comment wasn't directed at you.

_______

I think it's great that blizzard add stuff to the game just to allow for more interesting custom games.

Reaction score
>I think it's great that blizzard add stuff to the game just to allow for more interesting custom games.
If it wasn't so, even Warcraft III wouldn't have sold this good.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They know that Custom Maps keep the game alive once a majority of people are tired of playing normal games.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.