StarCraft II Single-Player News

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
BlizzCon 2008 attendees were the first to hear some big news about the single-player campaign: The epic story of StarCraft II will span a trilogy of games, with each one's single-player campaign focusing on a different race. For more details, check out the StarCraft II Gameplay panel info in Friday's Developer Panel Roundup.

---

So, instead of the usual, buy the basics, then get the real thing a year later with the expansion,
it's three games to buy at the start already?
@!#?@!

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Wow. Nice way to make more money... And I thought WoW would bring in enough.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Lol.Thise are verry sweet news.(Although i am still going on mapmaikin straight away.)

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love single player, and apart from the $$$ bad news, this will definitely mean much, much fun. :D

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I hope it's worth it.
Well I guess it is, if they're daring to pull off this 'stunt'.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
Blizzard drops bombshell SC2 will be split into 3 games

Yesterday Blizzard announced that StarCraft II will be released as a trilogy of separate games, each concentrating on one of the universe's three factions.
The first game in the trilogy will consist of the Terran campaign, and is set to be titled "Terrans: Wings of Liberty."

The second Zerg-focused title will be "Zerg: Heart of the Swarm," with the third game being "Protoss: Legacy of the Void."

"[The second and third games] will be like expansion packs, but we really want them to feel like standalone products," said Blizzard's Rob Pardo.
Each campaign will be very different, with Pardo announcing the Zerg campaign will contain RPG elements. The Protoss campaigin will likewise be differentiated by elements of diplomacy. In addition, the Terran campaign will feature a Protoss mini-campaign.

The campaigns are planned as concentrated, epic storylines, with enough content to justify a full release. As a result, the games will now feature more in-game cinematics and story content.

Blizzard added that the plans for the multiplayer component are unchanged by the splitting of the campaigns. However, some units will now be unique to the campaigns and will not be playable in multiplayer.

More details may become available during BlizzCon, which continues through this weekend.

screenshots.x
screenshots.x
screenshots.x

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
lol

if starcraft 2 is like wc3, then get 2 friends, each buy 1 race, and when everyone is done, switch with your friends. the multiple cd-key usage only affects online anyway. (i heard that any of 1 of the 3 games can play online with all 3 races, or said in another way, multiplayer will be the same in all 3.) unless somehow, installing the campaigns needs to validate the cd-key online..

just a thought. hardcore fans will buy all 3 anyway. hopefully its cheaper because of the split. which leads to one more thing. if the game isn't updated with just patches or w.e and we're required to buy an expansion for each of the 3.... thats 6 games. talk about greedy activision

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
I think the main reason is that there splitting it is that they can't fit all 3 campaigns in one installation along with it's powerful editor with out the entire installation process lasting for more than 7 hours :rolleyes:

One bit puzzles me...How in the hell will they pull off the RPG element for the zerg.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, zerg and RPG don't really fit, playing zerg is about mass of units xD.

Well not really, depends on how they have made the zerg.If they are Blood-thirsty Berserk Lynatics with low hp but a big regen why not?

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
holy crap, that's a crazy move. Starcraft is one of those games where people stick true to a specific race, so to not be able to play the campaign of your favourite upon the first release will bum a few people out. It won't stop them buying it though.

It sounds interesting though, having different gameplay elements in each expansion will make things considerably more fun.... I assume the zerg rpg element will either be some sort of evolution chain or a 'gotta catch em all' pokemon element where you assimilate the base critters your units evolve from.

They would have been better off releasing the 3 titles with ongoing chapters instead of segregating races.... continuation of a story is something that makes people want to buy the next installment, not the fact you left out a players favourite race. Still, blizzard know how far they can push their fanbase, just look how patient everyone always is.... I'm surprised noones started a riot demanding a release date yet.

Oh.... being 3 full sized games.... imagine the content you are going to have at your disposal when it comes to map editing. Exciting :thup:

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
I'm happy if they do it good.
If I think about how long I played warcraft and still enjoy it the prize I payed to get it is vanishingly little.

Reaction score
Oh.... being 3 full sized games.... imagine the content you are going to have at your disposal when it comes to map editing. Exciting :thup:

Well I'm hoping that they share the same map editor, and the same map files. Like I said, this seems like a really strange move. Why not expansions?

Yeah, zerg and RPG don't really fit, playing zerg is about mass of units xD.

I assume we will play as Raynor in the Terran campaign, Kerrigan in the Zerg campaign and Artanis in the Protoss campaign. I actually think the idea of wandering around inside a Hive or an Overlord or something could be quite entertaining.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
They are expansions, read about halfway down the first page. Blizzard is just quoting them to have enough content to be stand alone games in their own right, and trying to emphasise on how the different gameplay elements in each campaign will make them each shine in their own way.

They will use the same editor just as TFT used the same editor as RoC.... it's just the expansion content will only be playable to someone who owns the expansion.

Reaction score
They are expansions, read about halfway down the first page. Blizzard is just quoting them to have enough content to be stand alone games in their own right, and trying to emphasise on how the different gameplay elements in each campaign will make them each shine in their own way.

They will use the same editor just as TFT used the same editor as RoC.... it's just the expansion content will only be playable to someone who owns the expansion.

This is true. I did not read the original source on this page because I had read a similar story stating that Blizzard had been quoted as saying that each would be treated as an entirely separate game. If they are just expansion packs, then that is something I am completely fine with (if the campaigns are as large as they say).

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Blizzard added that the plans for the multiplayer component are unchanged by the splitting of the campaigns. However, some units will now be unique to the campaigns and will not be playable in multiplayer.

This part made my day. For reasons I won't say yet isn't too hard to figure out.

S

StevenAlone

They will manage it just fine, just lean back and relax on your soft/hard bottom.... :thup:

I have been sitting all day long for finding more information about Starcraft 2, but they don't say when Starcraft 2 are comming out for Europe. :banghead: I hope the game will come out pretty soon, i could imagine it in 2009 in April or Mai!.

I think that Blizzard don't want much competition when they are realising the game. So they just wanted to check that everything is all right, and maybe come with some new ideas they could have....

Greetings from StevenAlone! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.