Starcraft II Tutorials Contest - Get Featured!

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Introduction

Blizzard has given the modders a much more complex editor to work with when Starcraft II came out, which means a lot of users in search of information and helpful tips around the net. What better place is there to look than within a tutorial, duly written as to inform the reader of any source of knowledge deemed worthy enough by its writer. This contest intends to promote the writing of such sources of knowledge by any TheHelper.net users who feel their comprehension of any particular subject of the Galaxy Editor should be passed on to eager eyes.​

Joining

Simply post your submission in the Submissions Thread.
You can edit your submission any number of times before the due date.

Rules

• No Melee Strategy tutorials. This is a contest concerning the Starcraft II Editor only.
  • Your tutorial must be created solely for this contest.
  • The content of the tutorial should be tested, verified, and true.
  • Do not color abuse. If you really wish to use colors, dark colors work quite well generally. Use with moderation.
  • You must post the fully written tutorial in a forum thread, whether it is the Submissions thread or a thread you created yourself. Don't upload files containing your tutorial, be it text or video, for technical reasons we can't link them to the SET website.
  • Stick to your subject and delve into it. Explain everything you know about it. The more stuff, the better.
  • This is not a rule but a word to the wise: your tutorial must be useful at the very least. Content which anybody can/will use.

Judging

Rewards

The tutorial deemed the best of the contest will be rewarded with a Tutorial Feature on the SET website, which means the tutorial displaying on the front page above the Tutorials Index as a Featured Tutorial in the form of a summary.
Additionally, the top tutorials will be awarded reputation varying depending on the number of submissions. More submissions means more reputation awarded to the top placements, although the first place is awarded a guaranteed 50 reputation points.

Schedule

Tutorials should be submitted before November 30th.
The grading should be done within the next month.

- Sim and TheHelper Staff

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello guys, just to mention that I removed the rule "1 tutorial per entrant" as we feel that the more tutorials, the better. :)

The schedule has also been updated.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Awesome :3
Hopefully people spring up a ton of tutorials for others to learn from.
I'll be entering, im making mine right now.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
did a basics tutorial and i spent all night trying to figure out defining custom actions/functions/conditions/events, so im probably gonna do that tonight

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
Kinda OT I suppose but is the Starcraft 2's WE's Galaxy Script's virtual machine still crippled to only 2MB ( ~= 64 Warcraft 3's arrays) worth of data,​
if so then I am really amazed that SC2 modding even exists what can you do with that?? Knowing that you're map may hit this limit and all the work you've put will go to the sewer is probably not the nicest of thoughts. Sure you could probably do awesome things with the data editor alone and never touch the trigger editor or just stick to melee maps, but where's the fun in that?

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Well, not many people use galaxy and if I recall correctly, the 2 MB script limit is only for scripts, not for GUI triggers.

You will rarely hit the limit though. I know DarkRevenant's mafia map did but it involves a ton of script.

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
Siretu:

1. the 2 MB script limit is only for scripts, not for GUI triggers.

2. I know DarkRevenant's mafia map did but it involves a ton of script.

1. No offense, but what do you think GUI triggers are converted to? galaxy script of course... When you "click" on the "view source" or whatever it's called button what do you see?

2. Well, as far as I know his map is mostly if not all gui ("optimized" gui, whatever that's supposed to mean), and why shouldn't it involve a ton of scripts? ... I think the 2MB limit is not even enough for the Jass's location/point leaks that some gui scripted maps generate for 5 min of gameplay.

GFreak45

Reaction score
im trying to get a way to create methods, i tried using:

JASS:
struct Example
    integer i
    string s = I2S(i)
endstruct

but the gui version (records) with records and i got a syntax error when i tried to reference s, but there are no actual methods

once i get that down ill add on to my record snippet and make it a tutorial

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only one week left!

Submit your work and earn a chance to get featured! :D

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I assume this competition closes 30th nov 11.59pm GMT? I only ask because my laptop has decided to misbehave and it has my tutorial on it. I'm still hopeful of getting it submitted by the deadline :)

Siretu

Reaction score
From what I can tell from how it's worded("Tutorials should be submitted BEFORE November 30th."), it ends 29th November 11.59pm GMT.

Don't worry though, the point of the contest is to get as many tutorials as possible. We're not going to be evil and skip your submission if you submit 1-2 days too late. Just finish it as soon as possible and you should be fine.

There is of course a limit. We wont accept submissions 3 weeks after the deadline.

I hope your laptop starts behaving again. I suggest you put stuff like that somewhere where you can always reach it. When I wrote my latest data editor tutorial I did it all on google docs until it was about done for release, then I copied it over to a thread in thehelper's pastebin(search for it to find it) and added all the tags and such.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Well I made it in time, with about 11 hours to spare.

Getting the data off the laptop wasn't so much of an issue as it was trying to connect to the internet. For some reason it seemed to think that I had no networking cards installed even though they would probably be built into the motherboard and I have used the networking without an issue for years :rolleyes: I think it is time for a new laptop. Shame too, I like my current one.

Siretu

Reaction score
Just pointing this out: If you're currently writing a tutorial that is not submitted, make sure to post here or contact me or Bloodcount about it if you think you might run into the deadline. I don't know of anyone else writing a tutorial at this time but I don't know everything.

We want to judge all tutorials that get submitted but if your tutorial is not submitted 24h AFTER the deadline(That is, if it's not in by 11.59pm November 30th GMT) and you haven't contacted a judge in any way, your submission wont get judged and you will lose the chance to receive a price.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Both of you are right, we aren't obsessed with schedules here. Make sure to PM one of the judges really soon (as in today or tomorrow) if you want your tutorial to be graded otherwise it won't.

Judges have a life after all. :rolleyes:

GFreak45

Reaction score
sooooooo whats happening with this? was it ever finished with grading?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grading is due by the end of December, as stated in the original post. :p

GFreak45

Reaction score
oh lame i didnt see that... >.<

ugh fine take your time :p

Siretu

Reaction score
Yes, I'm almost done judging. I have one tutorial left to judge that I've barely started on.

Bloodcount got 3 tutorials left but he judges faster since he only judges some of the criterias. More information about this later when we release the grades.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.