Steam Dota!

Xajz

Reaction score
Quote from Icefrog:
I have some really awesome news I'd like to share with you guys. I am now leading a team at Valve! I finally have all the resources needed to do some very exciting stuff that you guys will love. I look forward to revealing more specific details when the time is right.

So everybody knows Icefrog works for valve now, and we know hes working on a project something related to DotA or to the genre of DotA. I personally am anxious to see what Icefrog is doing or what other people call "Steam DotA".

What are your thoughts on this?

How will this reflect on DotA/ HoN/ LoL?

Please leave your thought below!

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
So everybody knows Icefrog works for valve now,

I had no idea about this...

---

I'm going to agree with WS in that the other two games are currently alot further in production. If this Steam DotA is anything like the original DotA then he may as well give up, it's a fun wc3 map to an extent but it lacks so much in game design (obviously he did something right to get it as popular as it is today, I just don't think that the secret lies in the gameplay.. at all...), good thing Valve is good at that kind of stuff though.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Maybe it'll be like hundreds of players in a game.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Can someone say "overpowering the aoe heroes?" :D

Hmm, maybe they'll introduce new concepts that LoL and HoN don't have that make the game more attractive other than that it will run on Steam, which is quite a reliable game connector.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Maybe it'll be a huge battlefield with like mini battlefields, where a mini battlefield would be like one normal DotA map. Then, at the bases, you can exit into different game zones, but to get to different game zones (or battlefields) you need to travel there obviously, so there's roads (which are game zones themselves) with like taverns to buy items and stuff. So the roads aren't like the main battles, but some players might ambush enemies, but it's mostly town-peace and stuff. So like you fight in the maps, but to get items, you can go to taverns. It could even be real-time, but when you log off, your character "goes to the inn and sleeps" so you can't die. But of course, people might just log off when you die, so while your in a battlefield, you can't just leave the game (in that zone or in a road zone), you have to "beat the game" (that battlefield) before continuing. And then like maybe each battlefield map can have like 5v5 limit, or maybe even like 10v10.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
Maybe it'll be a huge battlefield with like mini battlefields, where a mini battlefield would be like one normal DotA map. Then, at the bases, you can exit into different game zones, but to get to different game zones (or battlefields) you need to travel there obviously, so there's roads (which are game zones themselves) with like taverns to buy items and stuff. So the roads aren't like the main battles, but some players might ambush enemies, but it's mostly town-peace and stuff. So like you fight in the maps, but to get items, you can go to taverns. It could even be real-time, but when you log off, your character "goes to the inn and sleeps" so you can't die. But of course, people might just log off when you die, so while your in a battlefield, you can't just leave the game (in that zone or in a road zone), you have to "beat the game" (that battlefield) before continuing. And then like maybe each battlefield map can have like 5v5 limit, or maybe even like 10v10.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

WoW?

thewrongvine

Reaction score

Nah, because it's not open. After your battle it's open, but the "world" is like the lobby. The extras are to make it more interesting. The main game would still be in a single AoS map, and advancing/falling back would be changing maps.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Amazing how far Icefrog has come, but personally DoTA is like super smash brawls, all the heroes are in "tiers".
BUT i can see one very good thing from this. If they do make a DoTA, and its 100x better from the warcraft version or the starcraft 2 version, alot more variety will come into battlenet, as Valve would be sucking the DoTA players away.

black.sheep

Reaction score

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Yay, even more raging @ noob feeders.
But that would be epic with say, 4 diffrent sides. After you side loses, you could travel around as a mercanary, fighting for whoever pays you the most.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Yay, even more raging @ noob feeders.
But that would be epic with say, 4 diffrent sides. After you side loses, you could travel around as a mercanary, fighting for whoever pays you the most.

That would be over-doing it, :p

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

thewrongvine

Reaction score
That ruins the AoS then, and it'd end up being some faction game.
lulz, two keeps it the classic style.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

crystalguard

Reaction score
Hopfully it comes to a console? Something similar to dinysty warriors (or however you spell it) with magic and an actual objective. DotA would truthfully be a great multiplayer mode for the xbox / ps3, something new to add to a Deathmatch / Capture the Flag with real time control of your character and a 3rd person view / Over the shoulder would be one of the best things i can think of. You listing IceFrog? SEND IT TO A CONSOLE!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.