Stopping Item Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Hi,

So there's this ability that is attached to an item (that is, you use the item to cast the ability). I want the unit to abort casting this ability if it does not meet the casting requirements.

So far I've tried doing these on the "unit begins casting an ability" event but to no avail:
  • Pausing the unit, ordering a stop order, and then unpausing: This does nothing, cooldown still goes into effect.
  • Removing the item, and then adding the item: This actually works, but the problem is with the item cooldown thingy. If you used the ability successfully at first, picked up some reset ability tome, then cast it unsuccessfully, the item would still be in cooldown because of that.

Another idea I have is to base the ability off Carrion Swarm or something that doesn't allow you to target cliff edges / unpathable areas so the Warcraft III engine causes you to pick a different target location.

Any thoughts?

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
Might be complicated but why don't you just make a dummy abilit that cannot be casted at all, maybe require it to target a tree. If this registers the unit begins casting an ability, then you can check if the conditions are met, if yes then give it the real ability, cast it for him and then remove the dummy ability, until the cooldown is over, then replace the abilities again?

Or you could just reset the abilities (I suppose your hero has more than 1 ability, so this won't work anyway :p)

Or you could try it without pauses. Somehow I've been able to allow units to cast the ability without touching the cooldown at all in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.