Strange e-mail from Battle.net

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Hi.

I got a strange e-mail from Battle.net. (Actually, I got three of them.)
It says:

Hello,

This is an automated notification regarding your Battle.net account. Some or all of your contact information was recently modified through the Account Management website.

*** If you made recent account changes, please disregard this automatic notification.

*** If you did NOT make any changes to your account, we recommend you log in to Account Management review your account settings.

If you cannot sign into Account Management using the link above, or if unauthorized changes continue to happen, please contact Blizzard Billing & Account Services for further assistance.

Billing & Account Services can be reached at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499 Mon-Fri, 8AM-8PM Pacific Time) or at [email protected].

Account security is solely the responsibility of the accountholder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

The Battle.net Support Team
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support
Online Privacy Policy

from [email protected].

There was a link in the mail that didn't get copy pasted. When I clicked it Firefox told me that it was a security risk of some sort, and so I closed the link without going there.

What's this all about? It seems fishy.. :confused:

EDIT: Besides, this was sent to my hotmail.
My Battle.net account is connected to my gmail.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
" EDIT: Besides, this was sent to my hotmail.
My Battle.net account is connected to my gmail. "

This here should be enough for you to know that something's wrong. :)

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Go on blizzard's site and if you can log on then no information was changed.. besides you can't change anything besides your password anyway..

No_exit

Regular User (What is Custom User Title?)
Reaction score
Go to the official website of Blizzard and find their contact details there. If a mail is suspicious then you shouldn't trust anything that is mentioned on there.
So don't call them, you have no idea if it belong to Blizzard (unless if you find the same number somewhere on the official homepage).

Oh yeah, it's possible to fake email addresses in regards to who send them to you.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Log into your battle net account. If there are no changes, why would you even worry about anything they said?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
It's fake. I get like 30 of these a week.

If you really must know, hover over the link and you'll see (at the bottom left) the URL.

If it's anything except www.us.battle.net, I.E. www.blizzard-account-secure.com/index.html/, then don't trust it.

I really got that link in an email:

Greetings!

Our automated security systems have indicated that access to your online account was temporarily blocked due to to repeated login failures. Our logs indicate that your account received 20 login failures during this time. It is most probable that your account was subject to malicious attack through automated brute forcing techniques.

You must click the link below and enter your password on the following page to confirm the reactivation of your account.

https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/account/ <---- This one here is the false link. It LOOKS like it's sending you to worldofwarcraft.com, but if you click it, it sends you to that example link I wrote above.

- Verify that your contact information is accurate and update it if necessary.

- Please be sure to scan the computer system you are using to remove all viruses, Trojan files, and key loggers.

- Maintain safe Internet practices and safeguard all World of Warcraft account information for the most secure gaming experience.

============================================================================================================ ============================================================================================================

Website Support:

A wide variety of Account Administration questions and answers are available on our web site at:http://www.blizzard.com/support/

============================================================================================================ ============================================================================================================

Server Status Forum:

If you cannot log onto World of Warcraft, you may want to check the Server Status Forum for current maintenance downtime and information at:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?sid=1&forumId=11113/

Game Masters:

Game Masters (GMs) are Blizzard Entertainment personnel that are available in-game to assist you with your gameplay related questions, problems, etc. Learn more about Game Masters, including how to contact them at:http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowgm/

Best regards,
World of Warcraft Account Administration Team
http://www.blizzard.com/support/
Blizzard Entertainment

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
I got a handful of these phishing ones as well. I sent a mail to blizzard tech support and they confirmed it was a phishing email, then i sent it to the junk folder. Listen to Sevion's advice, checking the URL BEFORE clicking is the wisest thing. Sometimes you get bombarded with mail after you click cause they're bots realize you might actually have the game and keep sending you this crap.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
If it's anything except www.us.battle.net
What about "http://www.us.battle.net:[email protected]"? (Browsers will generally warn you about this though)

Don't follow the links directed to secure stuff in emails. You probably aren't smart enough to distinguish a real url from a fake one. Especially now when they are starting to rolling out utf support in urls.
SSL links are much safer, not completely safe but for the purpose of a wow account I think they are.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
agree with ^ - you should never HAVE to click on a link from an e-mail, it's always safer to go to the site normally and then look at what was being described in the e-mail, possibly copy-paste a code from the e-mail if necessary

punwisp

Reaction score
Just because it says the noreply thing does not mean its legit. I get tons all the time that are fake, for sc2, and mainly WoW. They said I did stuff when my account hasnt been active in months :p.

If its fishy, delete it, its probably not blizz

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Also, even if it looks legit in the bottom left corner and it looks legit in the address bar when you go to the site. It still doesn't mean it's the legal site. I know there was a security hole in the world of warcraft website(which is now fixed but there might be other holes) that allowed websites to pretend their address was the same one as the wow lost password one.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Don't click it. Starcraft 2 is worth it's weight in gold now because a lot of people are willing to get it no matter what it takes. And there are people who would make illegal copies of this shit put some of their malicious codes in it and release it to the public for it to breed and spread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.