Report Study: Dyson hand dryers spread more germs than paper towels, other dryers

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
LONDON, April 15 (UPI) -- Dyson Airblade hand dryers are in the news again, as media outlets report on a February study finding they spread significantly more germs than regular dryers or paper towels.

Researchers at the University of Westminster tested the hand dryer against the other two methods, finding they spread 60 times more viruses than regular dryers and 1,300 times more viruses than paper towels, according to the study, published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology.

The Airblade has been championed by European public health officials, as well as the company itself, as a revolutionary way of drying hands in public bathrooms based on studies showing it filters out 99.9 percent of bacteria from air it blows around.

The Westminster study echoes another by the same researchers in 2014 that showed the Airblade spread 27 times more bacteria than paper towels, which researchers said reinforces overall concerns about hand dryers -- including those raised by Dyson about other methods of drying hands.

"These findings are important for understanding the ways in which bacteria spread, with the potential to transmit illness and disease," researcher Mark Wilcox said of the earlier study at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I rarely see hand dryers anymore. I prefer regular paper towels.​

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Ever since I let my hair grow I've just been running my fingers through it a few times.

I have a lot of hair.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Just some incite into the day to day life of the Gnome Cop. He has luxurious, salon quality hair. And runs his fingers through it to impress people.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
It keeps my hair cool and my scalp hydrated, doesn't spray germs everywhere and saves paper. What's not to love?

Also just realised I have no idea how to do nested quotes (if possible).

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
[quote ] [quote ] .... etc. [/quote ] [/quote ] ...etc.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw a hand dryer at The Cheesecake Factory the other day after I read this and did not even try to use it :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.