Report Study: Multitasking hinders youth social skills.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
(CNN) -- FaceTime, the Apple video-chat application, is not a replacement for real human interaction, especially for children, according to a new study.

Tween girls who spend much of their waking hours switching frantically between YouTube, Facebook, television and text messaging are more likely to develop social problems, says a Stanford University study published in a scientific journal on Wednesday.

Young girls who spend the most time multitasking between various digital devices, communicating online or watching video are the least likely to develop normal social tendencies, according to the survey of 3,461 American girls aged 8 to 12 who volunteered responses.

The study only included girls who responded to a survey in Discovery Girls magazine, but results should apply to boys, too, Clifford Nass, a Stanford professor of communications who worked on the study, said in a phone interview. Boys' emotional development is more difficult to analyze because male social development varies widely and over a longer time period, he said.

Read more here.

For males, we are doomed. We will be deprived of female partners in our future.

Switch33

Reaction score
Sounds probably right. Doesn't matter though. I rather keep multitasking even if i might be lacking in "social skills," whatever merit that offers.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
For males, we are doomed. We will be deprived of female partners in our future.

Silly. Awkward males will just find awkward females. Females actually outnumber males on the Internets now. And Chrome is now #1 effectively; although it will probably take years for it to be official.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Meh, if they can get hooked onto all those, they're not worth chasing after.
(Although, I will admit that I was addicted to the TV when I was younger.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.