Report Study proves conclusively that violent video game play makes more aggressive kids

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Iowa State University Distinguished Professor of Psychology Craig Anderson has made much of his life's work studying how violent video game play affects youth behavior. And he says a new study he led, analyzing 130 research reports on more than 130,000 subjects worldwide, proves conclusively that exposure to violent video games makes more aggressive, less caring kids -- regardless of their age, sex or culture.

The study was published today in the March 2010 issue of the Psychological Bulletin, an American Psychological Association journal. It reports that exposure to violent video games is a causal risk factor for increased aggressive thoughts and behavior, and decreased empathy and prosocial behavior in youths.

"We can now say with utmost confidence that regardless of research method -- that is experimental, correlational, or longitudinal -- and regardless of the cultures tested in this study [East and West], you get the same effects," said Anderson, who is also director of Iowa State's Center for the Study of Violence. "And the effects are that exposure to violent video games increases the likelihood of aggressive behavior in both short-term and long-term contexts. Such exposure also increases aggressive thinking and aggressive affect, and decreases prosocial behavior."

Last edited:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Man, I don't care what this article says! Dangit I'm so angry! I'm going to go punch some babies. Maybe throw them against the wall like in that one video game I played. GRRRR!

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
look at me i am social scientist i prove video game make u so angry look at this one study it is PROOF i tell u PROOF undeniable PROOF

I lol'd.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
I need only read the title and say thats wrong. Hundreds, neigh thousands, play violent video games, and they could be generous, or kind etc etc.
Im not exactly the type to stab someone with a pencil for giving me a funny look :p and i play violent video games.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
geez guys, we know you like your violent games, but that doesn't mean it's okay to just flame the study and hope it goes away lol.

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
Personally I find fustrating puzzle games such as monopoly aggravating and therefore they make me aggressive and should be banned.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I find Stratego far more effective at turning people into monsters than, say, Resident Evil.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Wait wait wait.

Because you play violent video games and you claim to not be a violent person, this entire study is bullshit because it doesn't talk exclusively about you?

Well, then, holy shit.

"And the effects are that exposure to violent video games increases the likelihood of aggressive behavior in both short-term and long-term contexts. Such exposure also increases aggressive thinking and aggressive affect, and decreases prosocial behavior."

For example, maybe getting pissy at a study?

Honestly. Lots of people ARE AGGRESSIVE, and lots of people PLAY VIOLENT GAMES.

Yes, we call all blame the parents. Its true, they shouldn't let children play games. But really, at the end of it, the games aren't going to have no effect.

Unlike all of everyone who plays these games, I think there is truth to it. Go on games like Call of Duty, Left 4 Dead, etc...

and listen. How many people are screaming, or getting pissy if you screw up? Much Much Much more than none.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
>http://www.usatoday.com/news/health...alth+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=Google+Reader

You might try this report as well. I particularly like the omission of absolutes like "conclusively", and the addition of quoted phrases like "strongly supports". I used to think physorg was a levelheaded site.

I don't suppose anyone here is subscribed to Psychology Bulletin XD?

EDIT: Also, not to go on a linking rampage here, but Psychology Bulletin is apparently running a piece critiquing that article as well.

> More critique (indirect, summarized from the other article it seems) > http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100301/1357558345.shtml

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
I knew this would get lots of responses!

Personally, if its proven then... well - there you go.

I personally believe it doesn't affect ALL gamers, but some - yes.

300th post... sweet...

Zakyath

Reaction score
Did anyone read more than the title? You guys getting pissed for this is hilarious, because it proves just how right it is :p.

""These are not huge effects -- not on the order of joining a gang vs. not joining a gang," said Anderson. "But these effects are also not trivial in size. It is one risk factor for future aggression and other sort of negative outcomes. And it's a risk factor that's easy for an individual parent to deal with -- at least, easier than changing most other known risk factors for aggression and violence, such as poverty or one's genetic structure"

There is truth in this, isn't it obvious? The question really is how much it does affect you.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
My little brother plays Grand Theft Auto IV and he's the nicest kid in school...

Study = Fail

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
have you guys every played the new mario for the wii in multiplayer?
now that is a video game that will turn me violent.
i never mario could make me want to hit my little brother so badly.

also the reason i dont like the study is because it is supposedly scientific
yet is uses phrases like "proves conclusively"
(not because it doesn't talk exclusively about me)
it also states that "These are not huge effects"
so even if they did "prove" violent video games increase violent behavior/thoughts
they also "proved" it only does so by a trivial amount.

furthermore, these types of studies are sort of a crusade in my eyes.
other forms of media and other kinds of games do not seem to have the same level of scrutiny
id like to see a study on weather
watching a kung fu movies or a being a fan of hockey or football
will make your more aggressive.

the article that unknown vector linked makes some good points.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
>http://www.usatoday.com/news/health...alth+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=Google+Reader

You might try this report as well. I particularly like the omission of absolutes like "conclusively", and the addition of quoted phrases like "strongly supports". I used to think physorg was a levelheaded site.

I don't suppose anyone here is subscribed to Psychology Bulletin XD?

EDIT: Also, not to go on a linking rampage here, but Psychology Bulletin is apparently running a piece critiquing that article as well.

> More critique (indirect, summarized from the other article it seems) > http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100301/1357558345.shtml

Rebuttals on this are much appreciated! Physorg is an awesome site and they posted it for the same reason I did. To get a response :rolleyes:

We love to watch people talk about it :shades:

Matemeo

Reaction score
My little brother plays Grand Theft Auto IV and he's the nicest kid in school...

Study = Fail

You can't take one case and use it to attempt to completely discredit something learned in a study. There are always outliers and things that don't fit into the norm. This study was incredibly stupid for using the words, "prove" and "conclusively" as in any good psychology any kind of black and white generalization is inappropriate.

The points the study brings up though are valid and should be a serious concern. Also no one is saying you're going to play some violent video games and kill someone. It can be as simple as thinking more aggressive thoughts or choosing a more aggressive alternative.

Dark_Phoenix

Reaction score
What. No. We're not agressive. NO.

giga-stare.jpg

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I need only read the title and say thats wrong. Hundreds, neigh thousands, play violent video games, and they could be generous, or kind etc etc.
Im not exactly the type to stab someone with a pencil for giving me a funny look :p and i play violent video games.

I don't think you read this right. He didn't say people who play violent video games are bad people. He said they are more aggresive and care less about shit and I don't know how anyone can honestly deny that. Just go on xbox live for like a minute playing Halo or Call of Duty and listen to those kids. There's no way you can deny that playing those games had any effect on them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.