Report Study shows breast-fed children are smarter

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A new study provides some of the best evidence to date that breast-feeding can make children smarter, an international team of researchers said on Monday.

Children whose mothers breast-fed them longer and did not mix in baby formula scored higher on intelligence tests, the researchers in Canada and Belarus reported.

About half the 14,000 babies were randomly assigned to a group in which prolonged and exclusive breast-feeding by the mother was encouraged at Belarussian hospitals and clinics. The mothers of the other babies received no special encouragement.

Those in the breast-feeding encouragement group were, on average, breast-fed longer than the others and were less likely to have been given formula in a bottle.

At 3 months, 73 percent of the babies in the breast-feeding encouragement group were breast-fed, compared to 60 percent of the other group. At 6 months, it was 50 percent versus 36 percent.

In addition, the group given encouragement was far more likely to give their children only breast milk. The rate was seven times higher, for example, at 3 months.

The children were monitored for about 6 1/2 years.

The children in the group where breast-feeding was encouraged scored about 5 percent higher in IQ tests and did better academically, the researchers found.

Find out more here.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
No wonder I think everyone else is retarded.
:D

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
I nursed from my moms bulldog when I was a child

i turned out ok

A

aznsteph

lol we talked about that in class Oo... but it explains why theres a retarded kid in my class

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
No, means I'm normal and everyone has a below average IQ.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
No, means I'm normal and everyone has a below average IQ.

Actually, it means you've got an above average IQ and they've all got an average IQ :D

Anyways, weird. Never knew which way my mom fed me - not really a question I typically ask her :nuts:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.