Environment Stunning pictures of the volcano that blew a hole in the sky

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
volcano1.jpg

Framed by a circle of clouds, this is a stunning illustration of Nature's powerful force. A plume of smoke, ash and steam soars five miles into the sky from an erupting volcano. The extraordinary image was captured by the crew of the International Space Station 220 miles above a remote Russian island in the North Pacific.
The round hole in the clouds is thought to have been caused by the shockwave of the initial explosion. At the centre lies the billowing mushroom tower of grey and brown ash. For volcano experts, the most exciting part of the image is the layer of smooth white cloud that caps the plume - a little like a layer of snow on a mushroom.
This cap of condensed air is created from the rapid rising and then cooling of the air directly above the ash column. When moist, warm air rises quickly it creates a cloud.

-------
Now that is pretty impressive.

volcano2.jpg

volcano3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
First a homo-robot now a world-sized shot gun.... what is next ? A fluffy, baby kitten eats a baby alien ?!

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This looks awesome. :p

> First a homo-robot now a world-sized shot gun.... what is next ?
The death of Michael Jackson.

Yeah.. News is interesting.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Thats pretty high
It's nothing when compared to some other major eruptions of the last 100 years... Mt. St. Helens had a plume 24.4 KM high and Pinatubo in 1991 reached 21 KM high.
Seriously, if you're anywhere near one of those when they blow you are completely and utterly screwed.

And some people call me mad for wanting to be a Volcanologist :rolleyes:

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
And some people call me mad for wanting to be a Volcanologist :rolleyes:
Not crazy, eccentric. :p
Quite an impressive picture though.

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
Holy smokes, I never saw this kind of thing, it's really awesome.

And those astronauts are really lucky to observe it from the best seats possible :) I was watching Tzar-Bomba footage the other day and I wondered what would be like to see its 64km-high mushroom cloud - well, it must be something like this (but bigger, of course).

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome.

>BudSMoke

Lol :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.