Subject: We Were Wrong

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Subject: We Were Wrong
Received: July 14th, 2011 6:07 AM

John,

The vaccine was shipped last month. It's been distributed all over. At first, the symptoms would fade and the patient would get better. However, several weeks after and the symptoms have been reappearing. John, we were wrong. The vaccine doesn't work. You need to come back to America, and soon. The Government is preparing to quarantine the entire country; all routes will be closed off, whether by land, air, or sea. If you don't make it in by next week, then you're going to be stuck in Spain for quite some time. Though I guess you'd probably like that, wouldn't you?

I cannot stress enough how important it is that you get back to Halcyon. You're team lead on the research and experimentation; we don't know where to go next and we need your help. Please.

Sincerely,

Ellen

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Subject: Please Respond
Received: July 17th, 2011 7:16 PM

John,

I sent you an email 3 days ago, and you have yet to reply in any way. You must understand how crucial it is you make it back to the States before the quarantine goes into effect. The team has been experimenting with variations of the vaccine, but each attempt is little more than a shot in the dark. We need your research, and we need your knowledge. It’s been 3 months since you left. I miss you. Please respond.

Sincerely,

Ellen

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Subject: [No Subject]
Received: September 9th, 2011 11:32 PM

Dear Ellen,

I apologize for my lack of correspondence. I have not had the opportunity to check my email; I have been incredibly busy here in London.

The first issue I must address is the vaccine: there is none. I was hired by a lab here, and we have tried dozens of different options, heavily based off of the research I've done with you and the team at Halcyon. My return would have been useless.

The second issue is one of far greater importance. The virus has spread here, and it is all our fault... We had three sedated test subjects shipped over to our lab for tests. On the third day of testing, our power went down, and the generator failed to restart quick enough. The bindings on the three subjects were compromised, and they escaped into London. This was a week ago. We have not released this information into the public, so as to ensure that we may continue our work. Let me state the obvious by saying that I tell you this in strict confidence.

Ellen, I wish you luck in America; the news does not paint a pretty picture.

With regards,

John Whitman

Subject: Bad News
Received: September 10th, 11:03 AM

John,

As the subject implies, I have some bad news. Ellen succumbed to the virus several weeks ago. I was checking her email to gather a list of contacts to notify, and saw your email. You should know that the lab has also been shut down; we've been cleaning out for the last few days. Most major cities have been abandoned to let the infected take over; they're far too rabid to control. I hope things are better in Europe.

From,

James

The Boston Bulletin
October 14th, 2011

Terror Grips The Boston Harbor
written by Sarah Lenkowski

Just last evening, a flurry of reports came in that the infected are running rampant on the docks. Naval commerce has come to a halt as Boston, at last, experiences the terror of the virus. Thousands have now begun to flee from the city, heading into the countryside. I myself write this while my husband drives our minivan, along with our three children, out towards Wisconsin.

Many are surprised Boston lasted as long as it did, due to it being a coastal city and incredibly close to Ground Zero, the city formerly known as Washington D.C. Many owe our elongated safety to the presence of the National Guard. It's been four months since they arrived here, on order of the president to guard Halcyon Labs. The lab itself has been the talk of the town, due to the sudden disappearance of team leader John Whitman and the more recent and mysterious death of Ellen Cain. The lab was at last shut down last month, due to failure to produce any solid leads on the vaccine. Luckily, the National Guard has stayed with us.

Though the facts are in question and the details limited, it would appear that a cargo vessel from The Caribbean was stowing several infected. The ship's crew claimed ignorance when they were briefly questioned. When the news got out, the National Guard attempted to set up barricades; however, the infected had already gotten into the heart of the city. No official evacuation has been called, but almost anyone able has attempted leaving Boston. Nevertheless, thousands remain stranded. What we've garnered by viewing various social networking and media sites is that many have formed groups in the upper floors of skyscrapers, hoping the infected don't bother.

Well, my battery is almost dead, so here is me "signing off". I think this will be my last news report. Good luck to my fellow Bostonians, and Gvwaoinlalasfk;

Note: Report never published, found on laptop at site 32.

Diary Entry recovered at Halcyon on October 23rd, 2011. Location of rest of diary remains unknown.

September 7th, 2011

It’s been done. Ellen is dead, and my contract is complete. I’ll admit that I was hesitant at first; I’ve been working with Ellen for several months now. I hold no personal grudge against her: business is business. But there’s no need to dwell on such things.

The kill wasn’t easy; I think she suspected, near the end, that I wasn’t really a chemist. I at first planned on giving her a poisoned drink, but when I offered it to her she refused. So I waited; eventually Katie went to get a coke for Ellen. I distracted her and slipped poison in the drink; Ellen died in her sleep.

I think it’s better this way; Ellen is a brilliant woman, but easily moved, and watching her country be torn apart would only horrify her. She’s in heaven now, away from the pain. She doesn’t have to watch her loved ones die, she doesn’t need to feel the sting of John’s betrayal. That man did not deserve such a woman, especially after fleeing across the Atlantic. They didn’t know I was aware of their relationship; then again, they also didn’t know that I’m an assassin. I can only imagine how they would handle it; of course, I think they’d be far more horrified if they found out who my client was.

I’m finally leaving Boston; all in all, this has been a success. I think I’ll use the name James again. I like it.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Subject: [No Subject]
Received: November 8th, 2011

John,

I'm giving you a warning. Interpol is after you. We're old friends, and I trust that whatever you did, you did for the right reasons. I have an old friend in London who makes discreet flights out of the country and the continent. Below is his information. You need to get out tonight. Next time we meet, you owe me a drink.

Henri

Douglas White
44-071-436-8989
(mention my name)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Diary Entry recovered in Hotel Krasnapolsky in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Entry dated at January 7th, 2012. The numerous grammar and vocabulary errors have been corrected.

I'm forty five years old and here I am, writing in a dairy like some god-damned schoolgirl. But hell, I don't care anymore.

I don't care about much anymore. I gave my whole life to the grand pursuit of science, and all I got out of it was the hatred of every fucking person in the world. The world... too big, if you ask me. At least my old world was. My new world, I think I like it. Cheap, shitty beer and cheap, shitty women. Humanity may end this year but there are still whores on every street corner, and every bar is still stocked with enough liquor to flood these canals three times over. But it's better than being dead. Though I am mostly dead. I haven't used my real name for so long now. John. They used to call me John. Some people still do, but mostly they don't.

It's always better than being dead, but I guess that's because I'm an Atheist. Or maybe that's why I'm an Atheist. I don't know, I'm pretty drunk. I used to never drink. I would say, 'I need to focus on my work.' And I would say, 'Alcohol is just an inhibitor of success.' And now I say bring me drinks! Bring me more drinks!

[Following 3 lines corrupted due to liquid spill]

I think if they gave me another month, I would've had the vaccine. A real vaccine. I was so close, then those hippy bastards had to rain on my parade. They said the experiments were "abhorrent violations of morality and the basic rights of any human." Fuck them. I was quite literally trying to save the world, but the Europeans see this as a purely American affair. Bullshit. There are already reports of outbreaks in Eastern Russia. It'll keep spreading. I guess the world's gonna end in 2012 after all.

The following is a written transcript of events captured by a convenience store security camera; transcript is to be submitted for evidence.

[2 persons within the gas station: cashier and customer. Cashier - female, approximately 25 years of age, approximately 5'9'', brown hair. Customer - male, approximately 40 years of age, approximately 6'2'', blond hair.]

[Customer approaches cashier, purchases a six-pack Budweiser Light beer (alcoholic beverage)]

[Second customer enters. Second customer - male, approximately 30 years of age, approximately 6'1'', dark brown hair.]
[Second customer is clearly infected. Attacks first customer, disorients]
[Cashier reaches for item beneath the counter, assumed weapon]
[Second customer leaps over counter, assaults cashier]
[Second customer and cashier obscured from camera's view for 11 seconds, violence is assumed]
[Second customer returns to first customer; cannibalizes for 6 minutes, 17 seconds]
[Second customer leaves at sounds of police sirens*]

*Infected adapting?
Diary entry recovered from Intercontinental Harbor Court in Baltimore, Maryland. No date given.

I visited Ellen's grave yesterday. I'm thankful Katie took Ellen's body with her when she left Boston. Of course, I didn't know that at first, but we bumped into each other. We had coffee. I guess it was because I was more focused on my work, but I had never realized how beautiful Katie was. Not just externally (though she was certainly physically attractive), but within as well. She was warm and optimistic; in my line of work, cold and closed off is the standard. We had sex. No, we made love. I think it was the best I've ever had.

But I digress. Visiting Ellen's grave was quite unlike anything I've ever done; I'm not a sentimental person. At least, I didn't think I was. But when I saw that name set in stone, tears welled up. I broke down into sobs. I can't remember the last time I've cried, much less sobbed. I'm breaking. As I sat there, I thought about my life. I don't really do that. But the question that came up, keeps coming up. Why am I a hitman? I don't have an answer, beyond that I'm good at it. But there has to be more to life. I know there has to be.

[the passage of some time is assumed between previous and forthcoming sections]

I've resolved to make a change. For the better. I'm going to reveal my client to the world. I'll likely be crucified in the process, and become a monster in Katie's eyes. But if that's what it takes.... then that's what it takes.

Diary Entry recovered in Hotel Krasnapolsky in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Entry dated at February 18th, 2012.

Infected in Amsterdam. That was how it read. I felt chills run down my spine, and they kept coming back. My stomach churned and churned, like a whirlpool. I felt guilty. I feel guilty. I am guilty. I need to change it. I can change it. I can cure us. I can cure everything, I just need money, and time. Money is easy. Time isn't. But I'll figure it out. I have to. For Ellen. I can save Ellen. I can save the world.
Diary entry recovered from Intercontinental Harbor Court in Baltimore, Maryland. No date given.

Things haven't gone as planned. My client knew I was talking; they're after me. They only sent two men. Apparently they don't think much of me.

It was easy. It was 11:36 P.M., and the roads were still slick with rain from twenty minutes before. They were just leaving their hotel. Heading for me, as it were. I was patient. I waited eleven minutes, until they turned into a lonely little road without so much as a single pedestrian. The feeling, just before the kill... it was ecstasy. The familiarity of the pistol in my hand gave me a warm feeling. I took aim carefully. Two short, suppressed pops. Their bodies toppled over one another, and the holes in their heads rather unceremoniously spewed out blood. It wasn't pretty or romantic, but it was satisfying. I left them there.
Subject: An Opportunity
Received: March 3rd, 2012

Doctor John Whitman,

Salutations. My name is Adam Ortega, I work for a research group named Talos Labs. We have been following your work closely and are considerably interested in having you join the team. Our primary objective is, of course, a cure to the infection. We believe that no other pharmacologist has come as close as you to accomplishing this objective. If you are interested, feel free to view our site. The password to enter is '718421'. If you want the job, just email me, and we will arrange travel.

Diary entry dated April 1st, 2012

I finally feel right. Back at work. Talos Labs has been good to me; a hell of a salary and all the materials and instruments I need to continue my work. Everyone here is as driven as I am to get a vaccine, and there's little fear that our progress will be impeded. Talos Labs is located on island off the coast of Gotland, a small island off the coast of Sweden. We're fully enclosed in a twelve-foot high wall which is maintained by a group of thirty security guards. I dare say that it's overkill, but it lets me focus completely on work. It is all that matters now.

note recovered from inspection of a courier traveling from Gotland, Sweden to Lund, Sweden.

We created the infection. That wasn't our goal, but it was our creation nonetheless. Everyone acts like we had nothing to do with it. But it's our fault, and I can't take it anymore. I love you, Esperanza.

Adam Ortega
diary entry dated May 10th, 2012

Dr. Ortega, who recruited me, blew his brains out last night. He sneaked into the guard's quarters and took a pistol, then put a bullet up into his mouth. The Director of Pharmacology informed me that Dr. Ortega had been dealing with serious bouts of depression even before the infection started. God bless his soul.

We're close now. Our funds are seemingly limitless, and I've taken advantage of it. Dozens of possibilities have been eliminated, and we're narrowing the list down. Give it a month, and I think we'll have the vaccine.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Moar?

Seriously, this is some intense build up. I like where this is going.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No More.

It's done and the suspense is good. Don't ruin it.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
More is fine.
Look at George A Romero:
Night of the Living Dead - Dawn of the Dead - Day of the Dead - Land of the Dead - Diary of the Dead - Survival of the Dead, and still going, :)
Cool, :thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Zakyath

Reaction score
Feels like a random word picked out a sentence which is important for the sentence, but you don't get much from it without it's context. I definitively want to read more of this, if there is any.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Subject: [No Subject] and Subject: Bad News have both been added.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Getting intense. Always London gets hit first, haha. Like in 28 Days + Weeks Later.
TheBrains85? :D

A question if you can answer, is the whole thing going to be with emails? Like what happens when they have no more email access? I guess I'll just wait and find out, heh.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Getting intense. Always London gets hit first, haha. Like in 28 Days + Weeks Later.

A question if you can answer, is the whole thing going to be with emails? Like what happens when they have no more email access? I guess I'll just wait and find out, heh.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

They're all dead already. Story is over.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Gotta have some comedic relief ;)

It will not be all emails. Journals and news reports will eventually make an appearance.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
I myself write this while my husband drives our minivan, along with our three children, out towards Wisconsin.

Just checking, but should it be like "heading out towards" or something?

Oh... dun dun dun with the Gvwaoinlalasfk;

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
"Evidence: Diary Entry #1" has been added. Thanks for all the feedback thus far :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.