Suggestions for Name Generator

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
I'm creating a random name generator in C++, and I've run out of ideas about what else I can add to it. Therefore, I'm going to ask you, the public, what I can put into it. Obviously, to do this, I need to tell you what there already is.
The random name generator starts, displaying the name of the program and the version number. Then, it asks you how many names you want generated. Then, it asks you how many parts you would like in the names. Then, it generates one name every time you press a key, until you reach the number of names that you have entered. Then, it displays the credits and shuts down. To better explain this, here are some screenshots of the actual program:
randomnamegenerator2jr8.jpg
randomnamegenerator1nr4.jpg
Now that you know what the program does, you can make suggestions for what I can add to it. Any and all reasonable suggestions will be accepted, and you will be included in the credits for the idea, if your idea is included.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
You've got plenty of ideas in there.

Do you really think "Akrbyaipen" is a pronouncable name? You may want to rethink your approach.

Knight7770

Reaction score
You've got plenty of ideas in there.

Do you really think "Akrbyaipen" is a pronouncable name? You may want to rethink your approach.
I suppose I do have plenty of ideas there (more suggestions are still needed). Thanks.

Most of the names generated are pronounceable.

holy_spirit

Reaction score
You can add an option for (male, female, both) names generation
this for now, I might add sth later !
btw: is there any link for your program ? so I can DL it ?

Knight7770

Reaction score
You can add an option for (male, female, both) names generation
You mean real-world names? It's kind of hard to distinguish between genders just by name in fantasy worlds.
btw: is there any link for your program ? so I can DL it ?
You would need a C++ compiler to run it right now.:eek:

n[u]ll

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hmm, could you send it to me, I'll see if I can make it compatible on Mac. Probably won't be too hard, I just don't know a lot of C++, mainly I just have to replace the libraries..

Knight7770

Reaction score
Hmm, could you send it to me, I'll see if I can make it compatible on Mac. Probably won't be too hard, I just don't know a lot of C++, mainly I just have to replace the libraries..
Don't you think I should send it to you after it's finished? :rolleyes:

n[u]ll

Reaction score
Well.. Sure, doesn't matter :D. In the meantime I'll get a book on C++. Pretty tricky language.. (Kudos for learning it!)

Knight7770

Reaction score
Well.. Sure, doesn't matter :D. In the meantime I'll get a book on C++. Pretty tricky language.. (Kudos for learning it!)
Yes, it's very complex. Thanks for the kudos (I haven't finished learning it yet, I'm still a little confused about structures :confused:) :thup:

P.S. I just added colors to the name generator.

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
You could make it generate different kinds of names like asian, fantasy ork like, elf like, dwarf like, european, whatever....

GUI...Though its a bit harder with C++

Maybe also a password generator.

Knight7770

Reaction score
You could make it generate different kinds of names like asian, fantasy ork like, elf like, dwarf like, european, whatever....

GUI...Though its a bit harder with C++

Maybe also a password generator.
It does generate some Asian-esque names. I could add an option to generate specific types of names, thanks for the idea :thup:

GUI? I'm not at that stage yet in my C++ knowledge :(

A password generator? Doesn't that seem kind of...I can't think of the word...

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Its been done. Your name generator could be the basis of a bunch of things though. A password generator, an image or number verification system, all kinds of stuff :thup:

Knight7770

Reaction score
Its been done. Your name generator could be the basis of a bunch of things though. A password generator, an image or number verification system, all kinds of stuff :thup:
I know it's been done. I just thought I should have my own.
Thanks(?) :thup:

n[u]ll

Reaction score
GUI? I'm not at that stage yet in my C++ knowledge :(

You don't need programming knowledge at all for an interface. Just an IDE.

The best one, IMO, is Turbo Explorer's Turbo C++. It's got everything you need, and things you don't.

But my favorite part of it is the design tab. You can create all the graphical interface you need from that, and then switch back to the code tab and start coding away.. Makes things very simple, and they've got a great syntax highlighter..

Knight7770

Reaction score
You don't need programming knowledge at all for an interface. Just an IDE.

The best one, IMO, is Turbo Explorer's Turbo C++. It's got everything you need, and things you don't.

But my favorite part of it is the design tab. You can create all the graphical interface you need from that, and then switch back to the code tab and start coding away.. Makes things very simple, and they've got a great syntax highlighter..
Thanks for the suggestion :thup:

n[u]ll

Reaction score
I believe C++ and Visual Basic are very similar correct?

Because I know VB

I guess if you mean similar in the fact they are both programming languages...

Here's the classic 'Hello World' program in C++:
Code:
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
   std::cout << "Hello, world!";
}

And here it is in VB:
Code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
    MsgBox "Hello World"
End Sub

VB is a more high level programming language, and the syntax is a lot different.. Not to mention the requirement of the .Net Framework. C++ is a more difficult language, and does not support garbage collection. Meaning you have to deal with memory, where VB does support it. So, really, they are very different, it's like comparing Latin and Arabic..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.