Super-bargain computer for office work

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
I've been tasked with building new computers for everyone here at the office, since the current ones are starting to...show their age, to say the least. Anyways, as a rock-bottom bargain starting point, I came up with the following build:

Case/PSU: APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
Motherboard/CPU: ASRock E35LM1 AMD E-240 APU AMD A50M Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
RAM*: Pareema 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model MD313C81609L1
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
HDD*: Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CD Drive: SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B - OEM

Total: 202.45 - 234.94

Are all of these components compatible? From what I can tell, there should be just enough power/slots/plugs/etc for everything here, but I'm not experienced enough to say for certain.

Probably my main concern would be cooling, and the power supply. As far as I can tell, the case has no fan, so it'd be just the fan that's on the CPU. I'm not even sure if there's room to add a fan to the case, so I may need to change to a larger case? These need to be able to run all day long. The case also comes with a 250W power supply, which seems like it should be enough, but I can't figure out how to calculate how much power I actually need for these components.

* Optionally, if necessary, some of the computers might be upgraded with a second RAM of the same kind, and/or the larger HDD, so these would need to be compatible too.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
That motherboard only supports 1333 Mhz RAM by overclocking. This RAM should work fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231307

As for cooling, given the PSU has a fan itself and this CPU is really low power, I don't think you'll have any cooling issues.
You have waaaay more than enough power with that PSU, as well. I've been building workstations for my office using an Intel i5 quad core Ivy Bridge, 8 GB of RAM, and an SSD in a Mini-ITX case that only has a 150W PSU and it's still nowhere near that limit. My battery backup unit rates my desktop plus both of my 22" widescreen monitors at a total of about 50W of usage at idle.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I would go with this:

$120 CPU + Motherboard
$40 case
$40 PSU
$42 SSD
$36 RAM
and skip the DVD drive (install windows from a flash drive),

for a total of 278 - (yes this is higher than yours)
the CPU/motherboard and PSU/case that you have just aren't made for actually desktop use, they were designed for HTPC use where you would watch a movie or two and then turn it off - they WILL get hot because of the small case, despite the low wattage used if you run them for 8+ hours. I also don't trust no-name, bundled PSU's that come "with" cases. Also notice in the reviews that the PSU sits directly above the CPU, I can't quite imagine the airflow effects, but it seems like the PSU would be sucking air up and the CPU fan would be pushing air down, thus them working against each other (and leading to the fans becoming noisy fast)

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I agree with slapshot on the psu, I got a no name one, and it burned up. Now I was running a video card that required to plugins of power, but it said it had the correct amount of ws. lasted 2 weeks.

I like slapshots, only issue is hard-drive. ya ssd big enoufe to put your main programs. Maybe 2 of them in raid. + 40 bucks. I could live with 160 for the most part.

But then i would also move up to a i5.. + 40.. So my overall build + 80 bucks Slapshots.

360$ . i5, 8 gigs ram 2x80 gig ssd (raid) soild mother board/case/and power supply. Thats not to bad.

Toss another 100 and you got your self a gaming rig. (but that's not the point here)

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
What would you consider "trustable" names, in that case?

Edit: For example, would this be better?
Case/PSU: Antec ISK 300-150 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 150W Power Supply

Or this, though the PSU may or may not be powerful enough.
Case/PSU: Antec ISK 110 VESA Black ABS plastic / 0.8 mm SECC Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 90W External Adapter, Up to 92% Efficiency Power Supply

Also, I did some checking on that earlier case, seems there were some cases of the PSU failing, but also lots of reviews saying how it's working great even after a few years. I suspect that those who had it fail on them were using much more power than I plan to, so I should be safe, but it's still something I'll be taking into consideration, and I may opt for one of the Antec cases above regardless.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
What would you consider "trustable" names, in that case?

for starters, what is the name of the PSU maker? hint: it's not the same as the case maker

this list is pretty good at giving you the general idea, but it's best to just look at an in-depth review of the PSU in question

I don't get why you insist on those tiny cases, the ones you just linked to are actually more expensive than the option I proposed, leave you little to no upgrade room, and use tiny PSU's that are going to be hard to find replacements for if/when they die

if you don't like the original PSU, this is a good substitute

I suspect that those who had it fail on them were using much more power than I plan to

why is that? again, it's intended use is as a HTPC for a couple hours of useage per day, not in an office environment of running 8+ hours each day - your usage scenario IS the heavy-usage one

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
The ISK 300-150 case is the exact one I've been using. I've built about 15 of them so far and they work great, though the oldest ones have only been in use a couple of months as of right now. The PSU in the case is also branded Antec.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know if you should follow slapshots advice on skipping the DVD drive since it is supposed to be an office computer. For the same reason the SSD might not be important to get either, they are more like personal luxury.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I dont know if you should follow slapshots advice on skipping the DVD drive since it is supposed to be an office computer. For the same reason the SSD might not be important to get either, they are more like personal luxury.

I can't imagine the DVD drive being used much at all.. but a shared external one for $25 can be added if for some reason the need arises

a SSD makes more sense to me in an office setting, since typically there isn't a lot of data store locally (it's mostly accessed over the network and saved on a server somewhere), and the cost is similar to that of a hard drive for a small SSD, thus you are left with much better performance

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.