Surround Sound Not Working

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Hello, I have a NVIDIA GTX 570 and I installed all the latest drivers for Windows 7. Im using a Pioneer Reciever which supports 5.1 surround sound speakers and I have them all plugged in but my computer does not recognize them. When I open up the sound tab in control panel, it gives me 3 devices:

Speakers, which is a High Definition Audio Device, it says they're not plugged in o_O
Digital Audio (S/PDIF) also a High Definition Audio Device, it says its ready.
LG TV-1 which is a NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device, which is listed as default.

I tried to make speakers my default but for some reason, it says they're not plugged in. I also tried making Digital Audio (S/PDIF) my default device but it seems to output no sound at all. When I look at its Jack Information, it says Rear Panel Optical Jack and under advanced, it only shows support for 2 channel sound. My LG TV-1 under jack only show info for Left and RIght Speakers via HDMI Digital Jack but I know I have all 5 speakers plugged in. The Speakers properties show all the speakers plugged in but it says the device is disabeled so I can't use it for some reason o_O.

I tried doing the surround sound test and it works for all speakers correctly, and a specific surround sound test mp3 file also worked but all other tracks don't ouput surround sound. I read online you need to enable Speaker Fill in enhancments tab but I don't have my option so Im stuck as to what to do. I recently reinstalled Windows 7 and all of my drivers so everything is new and not corrupted. Is there a way I can enable Speaker Fill somehow or add it to enhancments tab?

Cat

Reaction score
Have you made any progress? Sorry, I was busy. This can be a complicated answer, so forgive me for taking more time.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
let me see if I get this right:

speakers: ports on the back of the motherboard
S/PDIF: header on the motherboard for the case's front-ports
Nvidia: HDMI from your graphics card which then goes to your receiver, and then from your receiver to your TV

Nvidia plays most sounds in 2.0, but the speaker test does play 5.1

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Sorry I had so many tests recently for midterms, no i haven't gotten progress on this at all : |.

Yeah slapshot thats correct, here Ill take a few screenshots so you guys can see, Ill update this post

EDIT: Here they are

8Ywqs1F.png

YHi4WeJ.png

8eGqPf0.png

n5fj4Sk.png

As you can see, it seems like Speakers should be my default device as it shows all the speakers in its jack information, where as LGTV only has left and right while S/PDIF only has 1. Im not really sure how NVIDIA surround sound works, I was told that it should work right away with surround sound but most sounds arent surround and there isnt any speaker fill option.

EDIT 2: I also recently had this issue were if I turn off my tv while the computer is running and then turn it back on, in some cases it would just tell me theres no signal and would not work even if I changed the port my HDMI was going to. I ended up restarting my computer which solved the problem until I turned off my tv again. Doing a surround sound test now, only the left and right speakers and bass seem to work.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Okay here they are, the first 2 are for LG TV and the second two are for S/PDIF, I think those are what you're asking for:

MiPdWqm.png

mHkxMrk.png

AvAydG3.png

WsbEflm.png

Something else to note, I can only configure the surround sound of LG TV (cant for S/PDIF) and it doesn't do actual surround sound, only stereo.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Something else to note, I can only configure the surround sound of LG TV (cant for S/PDIF) and it doesn't do actual surround sound, only stereo.

you shouldn't be able to - the S/PDIF is for a single 3.5mm jack (intended for like headphones/earbuds), which doesn't support surround sound anyways

the only settings that should matter are the HDMI ones (which right now are labeled LG since that is what is connected to it..)

can you check what you see if you hit "configure" on those speakers?

2013-10-30_2114.png

(for the HDMI on yours.. unfortunately I don't have a surround-sound setup to play with..)

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
nope, I can't since it says its unplugged, all I could do is hit Properties and that brings up the properties in the first post : / Heres a photo:

njbITka.png

Im really not sure how to make them appear plugged in as they all are connected to my reciever. I assumed S/PDIF was the reciever thats why I took the photos of it :p

Oh and btw surround sound I believe works for my wii and wii u (for the games that support it) and they both are connected to the reciever, oh and i don't think this makes a difference but my hdmi for the tv is connected to dvr/bdr.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
nope, I can't since it says its unplugged, all I could do is hit Properties and that brings up the properties in the first post : / Heres a photo:

you don't have the LG-TV selected.. I wanted to see the configure properties for that one

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I did the test again, and I clicked this button on my reciever remote called adv surr which turns on surround, the issue is it does so but also adds a filter over it. So my youtube video was playing surround even without the speaker fill option in the configure area, but theres different modes for games, sports, and what not, so im not sure if thats the fix, but heres the list of all the possible filters it makes:

unplugged
extstereo
fssadvance
action
drama
entshow
advanced game
sports
classica
rock/pop

Im not really sure which one I should choose as I would prefer in a best case no filter that changes the sound, so having music playing with sports is different than music playing with drama. Should I just go with advanced game? This issue is it makes the sound echo a lot, so while im watching a comedy video, it really messes up the sound :(. Im not sure what fssadvance is or ent show. By the way, here are the pics just in case:

EckN0lG.png

arfMy18.png

EOossap.png

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I think extstereo would be the best, that basically passes off everything (unedited) to the receiver to figure out how to distribute the sound(s) to the speakers
so your receiver has a "adv surr" which I am guessing means advanced surround.. does it also have a "basic surround" that you could configure by any chance?

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Yeah it has stuff like stereo, i think one of the options when clicking adv surr is basic since it takes you across all the options, Ill do a test when i get home so ill edit this post, but from what I noticed, it doesn't change the speaker settings on the computer o_O.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the help, i think that one of the values for adv surr is basic since it loops through a bunch. Ill check once I get home, and as a note, as far as I remember, adv surr doesn't change properties in windows.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, school computer was being stupid. Checking right now I have 4 options on my remote:

1) Auto/Direct
2) Stereo
3) ALC/Standard
4) ADV Surr

Not sure what 1) or 3) are however :(

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
1. is probably the same as above, i.e. just pass it through, while 3 is what I think you probably need to configure - have you looked at the manual for your receiver?

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Not in detail, Ill go through it and if anything I'll post back. Thanks a lot for the help :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.