Swearing. What do you think?

Dyslexia://

Reaction score
If your character has to swear to get his/her point across, me, I tend to automatically deduct 50 IQ points from them

I honestly feel, that there are almost always more intelligent and eloquent ways to make your point, then to ever swear, swearing is generally for the guy or girl who doesn't have a large vocab and thus uses curses to supplement it. So it's a matter of how smart you want your character to come off as.

Now imaginative curses are a different story as well.

I probably sound like an idiot

Well, that's the point! This person [My character] is what you would call dim-witted. Stupid. He only works off instinct, he's a high-school wash-out and likes to tear up the streets with graffitti.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
If your character has to swear to get his/her point across, me, I tend to automatically deduct 50 IQ points from them

I honestly feel, that there are almost always more intelligent and eloquent ways to make your point, then to ever swear, swearing is generally for the guy or girl who doesn't have a large vocab and thus uses curses to supplement it. So it's a matter of how smart you want your character to come off as.

Now imaginative curses are a different story as well.

I probably sound like an idiot

I think that's an unjustified statement. I swear shitloads and I'm way above average intelligence. Curse words have weight. They possess a shock factor that other words simply can not contend with. To say a person isn't intelligent simply because they use vulgar expressions is simply ignorant. It's the language of the people. One of the greatest pitfalls of intellect is arrogance and the belief that one is superior to those on the lower end of the IQ spectrum.

Furthermore, there's nothing inherently wrong with curse words. In fact, I'd say that someone who is afraid or offended by swearing is less intelligent. The ability to see beyond societal norms and institutions and question their validity is one of the hallmarks of a great mind. You say smart people should not curse. I ask, why the fuck not?

Reaction score
I think that's an unjustified statement. I swear shitloads and I'm way above average intelligence. Curse words have weight. They possess a shock factor that other words simply can not contend with. To say a person isn't intelligent simply because they use vulgar expressions is simply ignorant. It's the language of the people. One of the greatest pitfalls of intellect is arrogance and the belief that one is superior to those on the lower end of the IQ spectrum.

Furthermore, there's nothing inherently wrong with curse words. In fact, I'd say that someone who is afraid or offended by swearing is less intelligent. The ability to see beyond societal norms and institutions and question their validity is one of the hallmarks of a great mind. You say smart people should not curse. I ask, why the fuck not?

I was referring to a stereotype. Yes smart people swear like it's a shitstorm but whenever I hear someone curse it usually makes them seem less well mannered and less-civilized.

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
Well, that's the point! This person [My character] is what you would call dim-witted. Stupid. He only works off instinct, he's a high-school wash-out and likes to tear up the streets with graffitti.

Then we have a Holden Caulfield-kind of person.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
I was referring to a stereotype. Yes smart people swear like it's a shitstorm but whenever I hear someone curse it usually makes them seem less well mannered and less-civilized.

You can "seem" however you want, what you are doesnt change.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Lets compare two statements.

"Im Mr. Fucking G-Fucking-O-Fucking-D to you Fucking shitbag, so shut your shit-ass mouth and do as i fucking tell you to do motherfucker!"

"I'm Hansworth, and there is one rule you must oblige. Do as i say, or the consequences will be... severe."

They both say the same thing roughly. Stereotypically, the statements seems to sound right (or at least to me.) You wouldn't imagine a posh butler saying the first statement, and you wouldn't imagine a sub-urban gang leader saying the second statement.

What im trying to say is, if it suits the character, by all means, swear like a clogged toilet being purged.

Then again, swearing can be used with heavy impact in a story where theres no swearing, or the character never swears, so swearing can also be very good if used in the right place, at the right time, with the right character.

If in the most likely event im a complete idiot and should be shock-therapised, than by all means; go ahead :3

I also apologise for the high levels of swearing in this post, but it was necessary - and if you got a heart attack and couldnt handle it, oh woe is you.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I believe this question is dependent on the character and the overall audience you're speaking to. The villain of a fairy tale for kids shouldn't be telling the princess to "shut the fuck up" but I could understand the leader of a gang in a book for teens and up speaking less than clean-mouthed.

I tend to avoid swearing to make my writing more suited for more groups of people. I find it's just as easy and sometimes just as effective to say that someone swore under their breath or something than to use the foul language myself.

Reaction score
I believe this question is dependent on the character and the overall audience you're speaking to. The villain of a fairy tale for kids shouldn't be telling the princess to "shut the fuck up" but I could understand the leader of a gang in a book for teens and up speaking less than clean-mouthed.

I tend to avoid swearing to make my writing more suited for more groups of people. I find it's just as easy and sometimes just as effective to say that someone swore under their breath or something than to use the foul language myself.

I used swearing in that sense and also to emphasize a character's panic. I'll copy and excerpt here soon (gtg eat)

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
personally i think f-bombs are for more adult story lines, you can do that or the S-word, whatever, both of those are for more serious story lines, if you dont plan to use them in a serious situation, dont make the reader have to read about a character like that, its just not appealing in my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.