System Changes

Discussion in 'Diablo' started by Jedimindtrixxx, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Jedimindtrixxx

Jedimindtrixxx ┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻

Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -0
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4325959/Systems_Changes-1_19_2012#blog
    click link^ for pics

tl;dr summary:
    Scrolls of Identification are no longer in the game.
    Moving the fifth quick slot button, which is becoming a dedicated potion button
    Mystic Artisan is removed.
    Cauldron of Jordan & Nephalem Cube are removed.
    The Blacksmith artisan will now salvage items
    Common (white) items will no longer be salvageable
    Core character attributes are changed to Strength, Dexterity, Intellect, and Vitality
    Defense, Attack, and Precision as attributes are dropped, Armor is taking over for what Defense used to provide, +Physical Resist will take over for Armor, and +Chance to Crit will fill in for Precision
    Character stats are displayed directly on the inventory UI

--------------

thoughts?

2. Dan

Dan The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;

Ratings:
    +160 / 1 / -0
    They attacked too many things at once when they were trying to fix the problems with inventory management from D2.

D2 had several issues with inventory:
    1. Tetris -> solved (1X2 max size in D3)
    2. Bag space -> added more in D3
    3. Stash space -> added more in D3
    4. 7 types of gems -> changed to 5 types for D3 and removed skulls/runewords
    5. Potions took up mega room -> D3 potions are rare and unnecessary
    6. Town portals and scrolls of identify took up room -> removed
    7. CULDRON AND CUBE DESTROY THE NEED FOR INVENTORY ROOM

If you're following, then you should realize that they completely trivialized storage space necessity. Why? Because they needed room for the rune system and for items so that they could promote the RMAH.

ALL of the changes make sense if you realize that they over-solved the inventory management problem. They have been working hard on the rune system for a while too, without giving us any details. My guess is that they figured out how to reduce the space that the rune system takes up, and with it, realized that they should probably let inventory management be part of the game again. It was a big part of D2. If you factor in the fact that they decided to drop more white items and not allow them to be broken down into mats...

WELL WOW THAT MAKES A LOT OF SENSE... :) I'm a genius I know. They really just need to find a balance to where inventory management is fun and not too tedious. Every change really comes back to itemization / inventory issues

3. Dan

Ratings:
    +160 / 1 / -0
    The stat changes are a result of itemization too. They want stats that are essentially bad for your class. It makes for more combinations of items in the game that your character may not like. They didn't actually remove any stats, just changed them around. Defense is now "physical resist" and armor does what defense did... etc.

The mystic fits into the itemization equation too. They are going to save her for later, as all she was was another gem system. Nothing more.

The UI stuff is just for our benefit really.

4. Jedimindtrixxx

Jedimindtrixxx ┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻

Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -0
    personally i never had a problem with diablo 2 tetris. sort of enjoyed it actually. always been a fan of tetris.

5. XXXconanXXX

XXXconanXXX Cocktails anyone?

Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    Loving the inherent ID. Hopefully they fixed the ghost mouse problem.

6. Bloodcount

Bloodcount Starcraft II Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Blizzard are sooo ruining the game for me. This is becoming like a hack and slash version of wow T_T Time will tell if I am right or not, but I might go for torchlight or path of exile instead of Diablo...

7. Accname

Accname 2D-Graphics enthusiast

Ratings:
    +1,551 / 4 / -4
    I thought diabolo always was a hack and slay. Hell isnt it even the archetype of a hack and slay by any definition?

8. Bloodcount

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Yes, and hack and slash is the only thing which makes it different from wow...

9. Dan

Ratings:
    +160 / 1 / -0
    Nope.

10. Bloodcount

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    sure

11. Accname

Ratings:
    +1,551 / 4 / -4
    it uses another camera angle also.

12. Bloodcount

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Am I getting trolled here ? ; D

13. tommerbob

tommerbob Minecraft. :D

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Thank god they are reverting the changes to the stats. Why? Let me quote myself from over a year ago:

I just love how Blizzard changes their argument as they go along.

14. Accname

Ratings:
    +1,551 / 4 / -4
    Creating games isnt easy. At some point you might have a great new idea which will change the game completely to the better and then, next day, you suddenly realize that the idea is complete and utter bullshit and you try to revert everything back...
    That happens to everybody sometimes. Its because you try to be innovative and spice things up every now and then. However, the results can vary.

15. Bloodcount

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The good thing is that Blizzard seem to be okay with changing everything in the game as long as it makes it better (so seems to be their policy atleast)

16. tommerbob

tommerbob Minecraft. :D

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Its just amusing to me that many fans told them exactly why their changes wouldn't work. They refused to listen, and now a year later, they revert their changes for those exact reasons that they refused to acknowledge before.

You are right though. I understand that changing one system can greatly impact many other systems in a game, which requires more changes and more iteration. Hell, with the map I'm currently working on I totally understand that. Its just ironic how they've come full circle and we were right all along.

17. Accname

Ratings:
    +1,551 / 4 / -4
    Who knows? Maybe a week later it will be completely different again, and maybe the week after it will be yet another change.

Blizzard got my respect at least for the fact that they really care enough to change those things so often if they acknowledge a mistake. Just think about how much time they wasted to create those systems, scripts, graphics, brainstorming, and now they just throw them away to start all over again. Thats frustrating and can really ruin your motivation.
    It isnt easy to carry on with your work after such a throw back, i can understand that.