System for playing a media file on 3 displays

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Ok, so I need to set up a system where a media file is played across 3 screens, side-by-side, such that the 3 screens together display the single image. These would be large HDTV screens, so I would assume an HDMI output. Ideally the system would also play sound. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a couple speakers, but if it's capable of more, great.

My initial assumption would be that I need essentially a small computer, with 3 HDMI ports, hooked up to the three screens as an extended desktop with a simple full-screen media player playing the movie. Is this the best way about this, or is there a cheaper way of doing this? What kind of computer would I need to run this? Would something like a Mini-ITX work?

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Ok, after looking around a bit, I've found two options that I think will work:

1) http://buy.advantech.com/Intel+Core...SA1E.htm?country=USA&token=635503759765470058
2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=hydradisplay_x3-_-15-242-002-_-Product

The first is simply a Mini-ITX that has 3 HDMI ports and says it's capable of supporting 3 independent screens. It's a bit pricey, but well within budget. If there's a cheaper alternative that does the same thing, I'd be happy to hear about it, though. I couldn't really find a good way to search IDX motherboards by what ports they have, though, so this is all I could find.

The second option is a splitter, which I could use with a much cheaper board with only 1 displayport. From what I can tell this thing seems to do what I want, and is even a bit advantageous since it treats all 3 screens as one, whereas with normal split-screen it tries to fullscreen into just one of the screens. However, the reviews seem pretty negative so I'm a bit wary of using it. If someone can verify that it works, or knows of a similar product from a more reliable company, that would be very helpful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.