[System][GUI] Extended Inventory System (With Stacking Bonuses)

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
[Notice :- I'll be offline for almost a month due to exams,btw i have found put a way to preserve the item cooldowns and i have also discovered a major bug (Read known issues No.3) in the older releases which will be fixed in the next release, hopefully the next release will be MUI and be ready to be implemented.]

OK guyz...i hav been working on this one for a while...
I discovered various facts about units with multiple inventories and the way different unit and hero inventory skills behave with each other.
Here is a system i am posting which is a Work in progress system...i just hope i can get it to work...if its successful then i can make it MUI for many units.
Currently, the system supports upto Two pages of inventory....(More than enough when you are getting stacking bonuses and abilities as a feature.)

However there is a limitation to this system that its not Cooldown compatible and resets the cooldown of the items for that unit when you switch between pages.
Also if the previous page not full the inventory system will first pickup the items and fill the previous page.....(however it can be fixed by dumping a dummy item in the empty slots of the previous page)
However i could add a feature with a little bit if work to preserve the original slot positions of the items, but that will take time though.

This is the first release and made from the scratch totally by me.
Plz dont mind the leaks if any although you are free to report them.
Plz comment regarding suggestions,improvements,bugs,ideas or even offer help in the development of this system (ofcourse i am gonna need a jasser to make it MUI).

Known Issues :- (Will be fixed in the next release)
1- Resets Item Cooldowns
2- Not MUI
3- The biggest exploit - Item orders in Wc3 are slot specific, therefore if u use the slot 1 item of page1 the slot 1 item of page2 will be used automatically (regardless of whether it can be used actively or not!).
The same rule applies for items in respective slots of other pages as well.

Note :- There is a way to preserve item cooldown (by disabling the ability) and get the job done...but due to lack of information about how the game engine prioritizes the abilities, its a bit difficult and my experiments with them have failed so far to get a general thumb rule for their unpredictable behavior.
But once i am done finding that fact, i'll fix that. Till then this system is only good for single player maps in which item cooldowns either dont exist or dont matter.

Attachments

• Extended Inventory System.w3x
    29.8 KB · Views: 354

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Should that be in the Tutorials and Resources sub-forum?

1. Where's the inventory unit? Thought that one only has two slots.
2. Add comments in the trigger editor.
3. I can't see the inventory hero. The only thing I saw was the inventory unit has 6 slots, but teh other one has none.

I think just that. I suggest you to list out the items in a multiboard, if that's okay with you.

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
Son of a Biscuit.....!
I had finished adding the comments and here you go world editor crashes due toa long comment.....
W8 i'll upload the map with comments within 15 mins.

EDIT :- Fixed the stuff you asked.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Great!

All it needs is to get Daxtreme to come over and rate this. Then let the moderator decides whether to move this or not.

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
Update :-
Fixed two similar and related bugs regarding item purchase and item pickup to backside page inventory.

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Hey, I haven't really looked into the triggers behind this yet (I'm doing that now), but what you have, though simple, functions really well! I'm looking to use something like this for my single player campaign, so I think I'll try to adapt it or at least build off of the ideas (giving credit, of course). Either way, +rep. This deserves a bump.

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Oh yea, and do you know if a unit can have more than one Unit Inventory ability? Because then you could potentially have more than two pages, which would be really nice (I'm not thinking uber-stacked Heroes or anything, but rather just that in my campaign there are a lot of quest items and it'd be nice to be able to hang on to them all in case they prove useful later).

edit: Just checked it and you can, woo!

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
Oh yea, and do you know if a unit can have more than one Unit Inventory ability? Because then you could potentially have more than two pages, which would be really nice (I'm not thinking uber-stacked Heroes or anything, but rather just that in my campaign there are a lot of quest items and it'd be nice to be able to hang on to them all in case they prove useful later).

edit: Just checked it and you can, woo!

Yea it is possible but its a lot more complex though..... (I tried it once but is hard to swap pages)
Thankx to blizzard we dont have Multi-Dimentional Arrays to record stuff ,which is something even a scientific calculator has.....:banghead:

But still it it can be done for a single of a few units though.
I am waiting for Daelins Multi-Dimentional Array Management System though.
Btw , Thx buddy.

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Yea it is possible but its a lot more complex though..... (I tried it once but is hard to swap pages)
Thankx to blizzard we dont have Multi-Dimentional Arrays to record stuff ,which is something even a scientific calculator has.....:banghead:

But still it it can be done for a single of a few units though.
I am waiting for Daelins Multi-Dimentional Array Management System though.
Btw , Thx buddy.

I see what you mean now that I try to implement it, but I think I've found a way around it that's simpler and more effective. While it's difficult to have arrays of item arrays and thus more than two pages of items, what if you treat the multiple pages as still being one inventory? You then use some kind of nested loop to drop the 6 items in the front page, followed by the 6 items in the next page, and so forth, and then assign them the values 1-6... 7-12... 13-18... etc. Then you restore them in that order, adding new inventory abilities where necessary. Obviously there are some kinks, as in, you're going to be restoring them in a slightly different order, and each inventory at a time, but I think I can work it out.

Anyway, if I get it going smoothly, do you mind if I post the multi-page version? I never would have thought of it without the system you built, but I think it's a good improvement.

edit: All right, the trick to this, as I've discovered, is to only have one actual inventory but store the information from all the others, so I'm working on that now.

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
I see what you mean now that I try to implement it, but I think I've found a way around it that's simpler and more effective. While it's difficult to have arrays of item arrays and thus more than two pages of items, what if you treat the multiple pages as still being one inventory? You then use some kind of nested loop to drop the 6 items in the front page, followed by the 6 items in the next page, and so forth, and then assign them the values 1-6... 7-12... 13-18... etc. Then you restore them in that order, adding new inventory abilities where necessary. Obviously there are some kinks, as in, you're going to be restoring them in a slightly different order, and each inventory at a time, but I think I can work it out.

Anyway, if I get it going smoothly, do you mind if I post the multi-page version? I never would have thought of it without the system you built, but I think it's a good improvement.
You are right....i tried it that way...but there are two ways inventories behave when a new skill is added.
1:- the new skill overlaps and dominates the other skill and never lets those skills display even if it has been disabled
2:- the new skill gets dominated by a skill of higher priority due to some unknown reason

And they dont follow a thumb rule.So its difficult. Also it would be difficult to track in which page the item went, but that can be fixed by having workarounds (adding filler items before switching pages).

Btw what actually matters is the content rather than the display.....
If you just switch the contents of the abilities you could get the same result....this is what i am working on right now that how to switch contents without removing the ability(to preserve the cooldown). once thats done i'll just have to recode it into a generic system that would use PUI to make it MUI and also have more than 2 pages (More the variable arrays = more pages).

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Ugh, yea, I had thought that the GUI would register "Count Items Carried" as all the Items in all the Inventories, but, unfortunately, it only counts the front page. That's my problem at the moment.

edit: Yea, I definitely underestimated the problem. Anyway, I'm going to implement the idea I had above for one Hero at least (my campaign really only needs it for one Hero), and I eagerly await the MUI version!

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.