Crime Talking Surveillance Cameras Coming to U.S. Streets

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Talking surveillance cameras that bark orders at passers-by and can also record conversations are heading for U.S. streets, with manufacturer Illuminating Concepts announcing the progress of its ‘Intellistreets’ system.

As we first reported last year, high tech street lights with “homeland security applications” are now being installed in major U.S. cities.

The street lights also have loudspeakers that can give audible warnings to individuals, mimicking the talking surveillance cameras in the UK that shout out orders through microphones telling people to pick up litter or leave the area.

A recent press release put out by Amerlux announces the company’s partnership with Illuminating Concepts to further advance the rollout of ‘Intellistreets’. The announcement confirms that the street lights will have a number of “homeland security features” including a loudspeaker system that will be used to “engage captive audiences”.

Last edited:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I think they are pretty cool. The wireless only thing is not good because without a backup an emp would take it out.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
EMP INBOUND, ELECTRONICS ARE DOWN!

OT: I think that's a good money saver in a down economy, plus I like the idea of public announcements through the speakers and the processing units on each light so the lighting system isn't taken down by a car crash of some sorts

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
It sounds like such a ridiculous idea.

Hmm The speakers can talk to you, But can you scream for help?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
What a waste of money in my opinion. I bet the cost for each of those cameras could feed a homeless man for a year.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
What a waste of money in my opinion. I bet the cost for each of those cameras could feed a homeless man for a year.

As negative as my post is going to be right now, dont get angry.

IMO homeless people are really just burdens on current society. If you are homeless you A) didnt try and expect a free ride in life B) have an illness like schizophrenia and are unable to work or C) are a drunk and use all the money you gain begging to buy alcohol.

So really, I'd rather have better lighting and improved infrastructure then to help some guy get high. But that is my personal opinion.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if you dont want to support homeless people, beggars and drug addicts, there are still many poor people who desperately need support, who try and struggle but cannot make it in the hard times we are facing right now.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
If I become homeless, in my personal opinion i'd have to have done something really stupid to get there, so no matter how much I would whine while being homeless, i'd think i'd deserve not to be helped. Life isn't easy.

And @Accname yeah I can understand there are those who may have been foreclosed and such, and I can understand that they deserve food and shelter, but if the world could take care of every person in need, then we wouldn't have a discussion like this at all

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the world can, people just dont because they dont feel like it.

FireCat

Reaction score
i'd think i'd deserve not to be helped. Life isn't easy.
Sure life isn't easy. But It doesn't hurt to help at least someone.
Well, you see, people are homeless or become homeless for many different reasons. And we do need to realize that many homeless people are not addicts.
And well, maybe you might ask "why they don't just get a job?"
I didn't know this. Maybe you didn't either. But homeless people, they do applying for jobs only to be turned down "Just for the simple fact that they are homeless."
Isn't that screwed?

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
IMO homeless people are really just burdens on current society. If you are homeless you A) didnt try and expect a free ride in life B) have an illness like schizophrenia and are unable to work or C) are a drunk and use all the money you gain begging to buy alcohol.
Or you could be like a friend of mine. His parents are divorced and his mother recently skipped the country without telling him, while his father has long since disappeared; after his mother left, she sold the house and he is now technically homeless. He sleeps wherever a friend offers him a bed, so he never has one permanent address. He works at his job whenever he's not at college, and he makes nowhere near enough to cover the rent on a place of his own; none of his current situation came about through his own fault. I very much think he'd like to meet you to discuss the issue of homelessness. That, of course, is completely overlooking point B), which very much sounds like you think those with such illnesses are not deserving of help and so deserve to be homeless.

Slightly more on topic, I was very much reminded of this Simpsons episode by this news article...
And I also find it very disturbing that you guys seem to be very accepting of the idea of cameras that can record personal conversations o_O

FireCat

Reaction score
seem to be very accepting of the idea of cameras that can record personal conversations o_O
I don't! Honestly it's beyond ridiculous idea they come up with.
Just imagine "[del]Crazy[/del] Big Brother around every corner." eh?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.