TD TD Feedback, +rep For Constructive Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I'm making my own TD.
It's based around creeps using MP instead of HP, just for a little change.
I chose MP because I think there's a couple cool things you can do with it that you can't really do as easily with HP.
I've been following this guide, and just wanted some feedback on my creep/tower layout before I moved onto actually making the thing in WE.
This is an alpha version, which is why I've only made a few towers and only 25 waves. Remember, I want to get feedback before I go on to make more waves and towers and actually put a lot of work into it.
Without further ado, here's what I've got so far.

NOTE: Please remember this is an Alpha version, it is just to see what people think before I move onto making a "real" version.

First off, here's my Excel Spreadsheet of creeps/towers:
tdexcelra0.jpg

Creeps:
Instead of creeps having life and dying when they reach zero life, creeps use there mana as life.
All creeps have an active Mana Shield [without the art] and they have 1HP, so when their Mana Shield is gone they die pretty much instantly.

Creeps will have natural mana regeneration, which will be low at first waves, and higher in end waves. [something like, 1MP/5sec in first waves, but by end 2MP/sec, etc]

Special Waves:
  • Regeneration Waves: Creeps regenerate MP faster then normal waves [twice as fast as previous wave]
  • Intelligent Waves: Creeps would have a bigger mana pool then normal waves.
  • Fast Waves: No TD would be complete without waves that move faster then normal.
  • Boss Waves: A lot more MP and regen. Kill them, get bonus gold, don't kill them, don't worry about it, you won't lose a life.

Towers:
Towers use normal attacks to eat away at enemy mana, but in addition to having their attack, some will have spells to burn additional mana.
An example spell would be:
Name: Mana Imbalance
Effect: Causes a rupture in the towers mana pool, causing it to let off an explosion burning X mana of all enemies in a 250 AoE.

Thanks for reading up on my TD, and I hope to see some feedback!
Please note: These are some ideas I've had so far, give me your constructive feedback, and I'll +rep you for it.
However, give me "rofl noob idea", "lulz, h0rr1bl3 1D34", etc, and you will receive -rep from me.

Thanks in advance TH.net!

Update On Alpha Version
Expected Release Date: Friday, November 21, 2008.

Creeps: 25/25 : 100% Complete
Towers: 18/18 : 100% Complete
Spells: 0/8 : 0% Complete
Special Features: 18/18 : 100% Complete
Triggers: 25/25 : 100% Complete
Terrain Sectors: 8/8 : 100% Complete
Terrain Overall: 100/100 : 100% Complete
Regions: 41/41 : 100% Complete

Overall: 235/243 : 97% Complete

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Well, first off, good luck with your new map <3
Looks pretty good. Only problem I see is that it would be hard to tell if creeps are near death. Pretty minor, as who really cares how much health a creep has left.
-->Member's project section...?

Just 2 minor suggestions, first being you need more towers with spells. Spells make the world go 'round, and that way you can put in Evasion waves, and make it actually influence the gameplay (by making players use spell damage instead of physical damage).
Second, you could put in a Horde wave or two, with tons of extra creeps, but very slow moving.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
FireBladesX said:
Well, first off, good luck with your new map <3
Thank you :) .

FireBladesX said:
Looks pretty good. Only problem I see is that it would be hard to tell if creeps are near death. Pretty minor, as who really cares how much health a creep has left.
I was thinking of making a bar that periodically changes the HP bar to an MP bar, but I probably won't do it.

FireBladesX said:
-->Member's project section...?
I've asked mods, I don't really have enough info and that yet :D .

FireBladesX said:
Just 2 minor suggestions, first being you need more towers with spells.
Like I said, this is just to get feedback :p .
There will definitely be more towers and more spells in the "real" version ;) .

FireBladesX said:
Spells make the world go 'round, and that way you can put in Evasion waves, and make it actually influence the gameplay (by making players use spell damage instead of physical damage).
Second, you could put in a Horde wave or two, with tons of extra creeps, but very slow moving.
I will have evasion type waves [dubbed Dispel] and "Horde" waves for sure.
Please refer to this thread for seeing how you read my mind :p , however, please don't comment on that thread :eek: .
Anyways, thanks for your feedback, +rep!

Fluffball

Reaction score
1.) Your TD is a new, and well, intriguing, idea, which means that it has a much higher chance to be popular than copies off Green TD.

2.) Using mana as health is a cool idea, it does give more flexibility with spells, you can make like 1 in every 5 creeps a special creep that gives mana to surrounding units once every few seconds, so the player would want to kill that creep first.

(BTW nice colours.)

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Fluffball said:
1.) Your TD is a new, and well, intriguing, idea, which means that it has a much higher chance to be popular than copies off Green TD.
Thank you, I didn't want to copy another TD, which is also why I picked this idea.

Fluffball said:
2.) Using mana as health is a cool idea, it does give more flexibility with spells,
It definitely does.

Fluffball said:
you can make like 1 in every 5 creeps a special creep that gives mana to surrounding units once every few seconds, so the player would want to kill that creep first.
Thanks for the idea, I actually like it.
If I do implement it I'll be sure to credit you :) !

Fluffball said:
(BTW nice colours in the guide.)
Might as well make reading it enjoyable :p .

Thanks Fluffball for your feedback, +rep.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Quite a special TD I might say. Unique from all other TDs. I might even return to playing TD maps because of your map:thup:!

I replied in the original thread, but this one is colorful and more informative!

more Suggestions;
Good Terraining is a really nice backdrop. I personally like maps with lush terrain in accordance to their tilesets, the right doodads and terrain transition.

Illusion Waves - Simple, they can cast a spell like Mirror Image and duplicate themselves into two or more copies that last for a period of time. However, this is just an illusion wave, so they won't drain away your lives when they get to their destination. Illusions simply divert the attacks of towers to themselves so that the 'real' creeps might have a chance to escape eventually:eek:

Reproduction Waves - quite weird, but; when you kill a creep, it will multiply into two lesser creeps of the same variety. For example, if you kill a Berserk Wildkin then it can divide into two wildkin, and when you kill a Wildkin it can divide into two Lesser Wildkin. You know, like in Warcraft 3 TFT when you kill an ancient hydra it will bring more Hydras until the younger ones are killed.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
jonadrian619 said:
Quite a special TD I might say. Unique from all other TDs. I might even return to playing TD maps because of your map:thup:!
Wow, thank you :D !

jonadrian619 said:
I replied in the original thread, but this one is colorful and more informative!
Yeah, I had more ideas now and more of a mindset of what I wanted.

jonadrian619 said:
more Suggestions;
Good Terraining is a really nice backdrop. I personally like maps with lush terrain in accordance to their tilesets, the right doodads and terrain transition.
I'd love to hear some suggestions on terrain, I'll upload a picture of what mine looks like tonight.

jonadrian619 said:
Illusion Waves - Simple, they can cast a spell like Mirror Image and duplicate themselves into two or more copies that last for a period of time. However, this is just an illusion wave, so they won't drain away your lives when they get to their destination. Illusions simply divert the attacks of towers to themselves so that the 'real' creeps might have a chance to escape eventually:eek:

Reproduction Waves - quite weird, but; when you kill a creep, it will multiply into two lsesser creeps of the same variety. For example, if you kill a Berserk Wildkin then it can divide into two wildkin, and when you kill a Wildkin it can divide into two Lesser Wildkin. You know, like in Warcraft 3 TFT when you kill an ancient hydra it will bring more Hydras until the younger ones are killed.
Thanks for these suggestions.
If I use them, I'll be sure to give you credit.
+rep for the feedback :D !

cr4xzZz

Also known as azwraith_ftL.
Reaction score
Seems good, I like the MP idea, thought it would be alot harder for you to manipulate mana instead of health. Extra work would be needed on shields or mana bars or stuff like that. I also like the presentation on this topic but where is the map?

Leazy

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Suggestion: Make them have 150 000 HP so it won't show, then if they take damage with no mana, make the dmg unit kill them.

Jolly chap*

Reaction score
He said the Alpha version is still under production ... I think. :D I really love TDs and I hope that you can deliver to us a very fun and intriguing one. A special wave:

Chained Wave - this is a strange wave, I have tried using it in some of the TDs I have made, but anyway. It's basically an ordinary wave only (creeps should have slightly larger mana pool) that they are spell-chained, so if one creep gets that damaged, that damage is spread equally throughout a set number of other creeps.

Fluffball

Reaction score
Suggestion: Make them have 150 000 HP so it won't show, then if they take damage with no mana, make the dmg unit kill them.

I think it only has to be 20,000 hp to not show. Also use Damage - Hide UI for the towers and nullify the missile.

jhnam95

Reaction score
How about creating a special mode where some creeps have special abilities (speed boost, divine shield, mirror image, windwalk) that cost some mana. It reduces their mana, meaning easier to kill, but makes it harder to kill too. Also, other modes, such as rapid mana regen (global brilliance aura) and no mana regen at all.

EDIT: AGGGH someone already suggested illusions...

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Lol This map = OWNAGE

Things I love about this
===================
-mana as the "life"
-interesting spells
-I remember seeing your terrain and its nice and symmetrical
-Your towers = Pawnage
-I hate TD's but you might actually make me play them :D
-Simply Beautiful :p

Things you could work on
===================
NOTHING :thup: (or so far from what I've seen)

=========================================================

Gj man if you keep mapping like this I bet you'll make a map better then DotA :thup: (even though I hate dota :D)

GL :cool:

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Sorry, wasn't at home last night, no internet :eek: .
See I got a lot of replies though, so here we go:
cr4xzZz said:
Seems good, I like the MP idea, thought it would be alot harder for you to manipulate mana instead of health. Extra work would be needed on shields or mana bars or stuff like that.
I'm in the process of making towers and creeps now. I've got the whole mana shield working right now. And I'm willing to go that extra mile to make this TD fun :D !

cr4xzZz said:
I also like the presentation on this topic but where is the map?
The map is still in production, even for the Alpha version, but I will post it as soon as all the basics are done :) !

Leazy said:
I just make them have 1HP, requires no triggering :) .
However, I was thinking of trying to make a MP bar above their head?

Jolly chap* said:
He said the Alpha version is still under production ... I think. :D I really love TDs and I hope that you can deliver to us a very fun and intriguing one.
It is indeed still under production, and I hope that I can make this fun for you guys too :D !

Jolly chap* said:
Chained Wave - this is a strange wave, I have tried using it in some of the TDs I have made, but anyway. It's basically an ordinary wave only (creeps should have slightly larger mana pool) that they are spell-chained, so if one creep gets that damaged, that damage is spread equally throughout a set number of other creeps.
That's a cool idea!
It probably won't appear in the Alpha, but if I incorporate it into the "real" version, I will give you credit, thanks for the idea ;) !

Fluffball said:
Also use Damage - Hide UI for the towers and nullify the missile.
:confused: ?

jhnam95 said:
How about creating a special mode where some creeps have special abilities (speed boost, divine shield, mirror image, windwalk) that cost some mana. It reduces their mana, meaning easier to kill, but makes it harder to kill too.
Creeps probably won't have abilities, but this gave me an idea for an "Easy Mode".

jhnam95 said:
Also, other modes, such as rapid mana regen (global brilliance aura) and no mana regen at all.
Again, the idea for more modes, thanks!

Dragon_Lance said:
Lol This map = OWNAGE
Thanks, that means a lot :D !

Dragon_Lance said:
Things I love about this
===================
-mana as the "life"
-interesting spells
-I remember seeing your terrain and its nice and symmetrical
-Your towers = Pawnage
-I hate TD's but you might actually make me play them :D
-Simply Beautiful :p
MP as HP was the "hook, line, and sinker" of this project ;) !
I can easily make hundreds of spells :) , just look at these from The Spell Idea Thread for example:
Here's a picture of the terrain:
wolfiestdnt6.jpg
And those towers are just for the Alpha version :cool: !
If I can make even one TD hater play a TD because of my map, my mission is accomplished :D .
Simply thanks :p .

Dragon_Lance said:
Things you could work on
===================
NOTHING :thup: (or so far from what I've seen)
Wow, thanks a lot again, it means a lot!

Dragon_Lance said:
Gj man if you keep mapping like this I bet you'll make a map better then DotA :thup: (even though I hate dota :D)

GL :cool:
That would be a dream come true and a half :p .
Thanks for the feedback!

+rep'd all you guys, thanks again.
Keep the feedback coming TH.net!

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Your map sounds nice!!
but im a big alt fan, and i like to hold alt to see the creeps hp, so i know which unit i should use my spells on and etc,
also your first wave has 10 hp and walk very slowly, so im assuming a tower with 1 damage can kill a lot of them. Maybe you sohuld increase their speed or mp a little
other than that, it looks great!! keep going ;)

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
YourFace said:
Your map sounds nice!!
but im a big alt fan, and i like to hold alt to see the creeps hp, so i know which unit i should use my spells on and etc,
Again, I'm thinking of trying to make a MP bar above creeps head.

YourFace said:
also your first wave has 10 hp and walk very slowly, so im assuming a tower with 1 damage can kill a lot of them. Maybe you sohuld increase their speed or mp a little
The first wave is meant to be easy.
And the creeps all have 1HP :p .
The first tower you build has 6 damage, and gets them killed, in what I think, is a nice manner for a first level.

YourFace said:
other than that, it looks great!! keep going ;)
Thank you for the feedback and support!

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
lol, then people go make long replies so they get +rep. :)

Sounds pretty cool. I like the thread and excel planning (I used to do that :p)! I'll try it out when I can.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
thewrongvine said:
lol, then people go make long replies so they get +rep. :)
I only +rep people once.
And their posts have to have something useful to get +rep from me :p .

thewrongvine said:
Sounds pretty cool. I like the thread and excel planning (I used to do that :p)! I'll try it out when I can.
Thanks, the Excel helps a lot now that I've used it!
I hope to get some feedback from you when the Alpha is released :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.