TDG's Map-making Contest

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
TDG's Map-making Contest ($400 in Prizes)

TDGTerran.png

Hello everyone, this is Steel / Mahida of Clan TDG and I am organizing our first Map-making Contest. Since the beta is going to be going offline for a while and what with the issues Battle.net is having, we thought this would be a good time to announce the contest. You may have heard of TDG through some WarCraft III maps such as Legion TD, Burbenog TD, Final Fantasy Forever and Uther Party 2. TDG has made the move into StarCraft II and our members are really excited about the editor. We have made numerous StarCraft II tutorials and our mappers are constantly working on their mapping projects. Even if you don't want to participate in this contest you can always check our forums out and see what everyone is up to.

Basic Information
First Place: $200
Second Place: $125
Third Place: $75
Open theme: You can make any kind of custom map you want, no melee maps
Initial Deadline: September 10th 2010, 11:59 PM (PST)

Entry
If you would like to enter into the contest you must fill out the following form. Then post it on Map-making Contest Forum or email them to [email protected] with the title "StarCraft II - Contest Participation Form".

Judging
The contest will be in a single judging period instead of the initial two stage period. Judging should take about a week depending on the number of entrants. The judges will provide very useful information to map makers. We hope people will take this information to improve upon their existing maps. The submission date is 10 September 2010.

The Judges
SeasonsOfLove - SeasonsOfLove has been a playtester for Clan TDG since December 2005 and is currently the rank of officer. He is an integral part of testing maps by providing feedback and catching bugs to improve the overall quality of gameplay of some TDG maps. He also was a map reviewer in the Map Database on the WC3Campaigns website, a hub for Warcraft III map-making information and projects.

TheZizz - TheZizz is a veteran Warcraft III mapper who has been with Clan TDG for several years. He brings to the judging panel a marked appreciation for the kind of personal dedication necessary to make a solid piece of work, but at the same time he has sky-high standards - especially where user-friendliness is concerned - so watch out!

Steel - Steel got into the map-making community many years ago while making a few maps. Some snippets of code he wrote were submitted into the popular game DoTA and are still being used today. He knows more than a dozen programming languages and has worked in the field with those skills. He is highly experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to the User Experience and Design aspects of any project.

Shvegait - Leader of Clan TDG.

Kaye - Kaye joined Clan TDG in 2004. Since then, Kaye has assisted primarily in the balance and design in several of Clan TDG's projects and worked on many projects. These projects include, Defense of the Ancients, Zodiac Tower Defense, Forbidden Elements Tower Wars.

Any additional information and grading criteria on the specific post for the contest on our forums.

For updates to the contest please visit the Map-making Contest Sub-Forum

Also be sure to read some Frequently Asked Questions

Yoshii

Reaction score
interesting, my spring session end june 15 so I will probably participate.I think the time it take to select an actual winner is pretty long tho.. more than 1 month.Hopefully we will see something else than 3rd person view style of game

Kildare

Reaction score
Are we required to submit the source file or the published file? Coz i rather not submit any of my original works to anyone, contest or not.

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Are we required to submit the source file or the published file? Coz i rather not submit any of my original works to anyone, contest or not.

Submitting your map would be the easiest method. I understand people's reticent on submitting a map and we will not require it. We would however require you to host the game at some level. I'm a programmer by day and a mapper by night. I know how close some people hold their work to their heart.

If you do submit your map to us we guarantee it will never be seen outside of the judging. TDG was founded in 2003 and some of the judges have been mapping for over 5 years.

If you wish not to submit your map to us you will have to publish it on Battle.net under a specific name so we can see it and host it ourselves. Depending on how the Battle.net servers behave and function, there might be a way to publish to individual people only. We won't know until we get there. This is why I have a week sectioned off for judging.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
it makes me sad that TH.net has so many links / discussion / contests that send us AWAY from the site. =( wtb community like in war3 era.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Does the map have to be made especially for the contest? Can I present my map in a thread here on TH and get feed-back?

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
it makes me sad that TH.net has so many links / discussion / contests that send us AWAY from the site. =( wtb community like in war3 era.

TH can and has hosted their own contests. I just wanted to get map makers thinking, get their ideas moving along and see what people can do. I'm trying to promote creative thinking.

Does the map have to be made especially for the contest? Can I present my map in a thread here on TH and get feed-back?

There is no theme for the contest so how would you make it especially for the contest? You can do whatever you want, I don't want to restrict your ideas.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I meant, do I have to start a new one for this contest? Or can I use a map that is already started and may be exposed in public prior to my submitting?

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
I meant, do I have to start a new one for this contest? Or can I use a map that is already started and may be exposed in public prior to my submitting?

Can be something you're already working on.

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
I decided to bump the prize pool up to $190.

I also posted a section about the judges, so you people know who it is that will be looking at your maps.

Any questions or comments can be posted here or on our forums.

P.S. No chance of this getting stickied?

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Kenoli, an administrator of Star Depot, has graciously added $200 to the prize pool bringing the total to $390!

Star Depot is a new site designed and built specifically for the Starcraft 2 Map-making community. Visitors can browse through the forums, tutorials, and wiki articles. Registered users gain access to file/image hosting, custom project forums, and other useful features.

Please check them out and always remember to support your fellow mappers!

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Contest Participation Form - This must be filled out to show your participation in the contest. Complete the form and either post it on Map-making Contest Forum or email them to [email protected] with the title "StarCraft II - Contest Participation Form".

Map Details
  • Map Name - List your map's name so it can be easily identifiable.
  • Description - Give a very brief description of your map.
  • Genre - What category does your map fall under? If you are unsure, list as Other.
  • Player Size - How many players does your map support? How many do you recommend it to be played with?

Developers
  • Name of Team - List the name of your development team, if applicable.
  • Individuals' Names - List the names of the developers of your map. You may list their roles / jobs if you like.
  • History - If you would like to list anything about your development team's prior map-making titles, please list them here.

Notes
If you would like to make any notes or clarifications please list them here.

Example

Map Details
  • Map Name - Hello Kitty Island Adventure
  • Description - Clearly the best map ever
  • Genre - RPG
  • Player Size - 2-14

Developers
  • Name of Team - Cuddle Huggle Squad
  • Individuals' Names - All the care bears, forever.
  • History - Professor Coldheart Freezing's Castle

Notes
Sunshine, rainbows and candy for everyone.

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Just like to say thanks to those individuals that have submitted their participation forms. I hope to see a surge in submissions over the next few weeks. Any questions or comments, feel free to post here or on our forums.

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Increased the prize pool by $10, I was annoyed with having an odd, $390 prize pool. This brings the pool up to $400.The varied placement prizes has been decided.

First Place: $200
Second Place: $125
Third Place: $75

Another week passes and a few more people have filled out participation forms. Hopefully the beta will come up next week so online testing can continue. If you plan on entering the contest but haven't completely formulated your thoughts you can still send in a very generic form.

(Changed the title to include prize total, to be more encouraging)

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Various people have came to me through email to inform me that they would like to participate in the contest but there isn't enough time for them with these deadlines. Other people have told me that some of the changes with the most recent Beta Patch have also caused game breaking issues with their map. I feel there is no negative ramifications in extending the deadline, essentially bumping everything down to a more appropriate level. This will be beneficial overall for the follow reasons:
  • More people can participate. More maps for players is more fun for players
  • Anything broken by patches now has time to be fixed
  • People won't feel rushed to try and get their maps done with all of this Beta stage shenanigans.

The judging process will also change. Instead of having 2 stages to the judging, there will be a single evaluation. There will be no touch-up period. Looking at the initial idea for that touch-up period, it sounded good but really it would just cause a lot more problems than it solved. Being that this is our first contest, this is a learning process for us. I don't think this will cause any major disruptions for any of the current participants or those that wish to enter but previously couldn't.

The Final Deadline for all maps is 10 September 2010, 11:59PM (PST).

I'd like to thank Kenoli from Star Depot for getting on my ass about this and making sure things happened.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Sticking this for a while. Good luck on your contest and to participants as well.

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
After the announcement of Blizzard's contest we feel it would be best to cancel this contest and perhaps host it at another time.

Could a mod please un-sticky this post?

daviidwilson

Reaction score
TH can and has hosted their own contests. I just wanted to get map makers thinking, get their ideas moving along and see what people can do. I'm trying to promote creative thinking.

There is no theme for the contest so how would you make it especially for the contest? You can do whatever you want, I don't want to restrict your ideas.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.