Team Fortress 2

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
This is the Truth.

Oh, and spies rule.

Indeed.

For a more "actual" tip, Never use your knife unless its a backstab, magnum/ambassador all the way.

Backstabbing is crazy difficult unless the target is standing still, such as noob-medics (noob-anything, really), heavy or sniper. 9 times of 10 the moving target (usually pyros, demomen, soldiers, medics and ocasionally heavies) turn around in the last moment. They don't even have to turn around a full 180 degrees - as long as they make it impossible to backstab them. Resulting in me losing my disguise and getting owned by their superior firepower. :(

I haven't played TF2 in forever, but I used to play a few months ago. I'll go ahead and install it now since I haven't done so since getting a new Harddrive then I'll play some games with you peeps. :thup:

Do it.
I invite you to play on Jindo's clan server. ^^

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
A couple of people have said stuff about crits on the server, but they're staying, you can go find a more serious server if you don't like crits ;P.

Exide

Reaction score
A couple of people have said stuff about crits on the server, but they're staying, you can go find a more serious server if you don't like crits ;P.

That's partially what I'm trying to do with this thread. ^^
I used to play on a Swedish server that has random crits. I've grown tired of it, so I'm searching for good servers that don't have random crits, but they're hard to find. =(

Random crits renders the kritzkrieg useless.
Random crits are based mainly on luck and partially on skill. Any noob can get a random crit, and kill a more skilled player, when the more skilled play would easily have owned the noob.
I don't like basing the outcome of the battle on luck, and I don't like fighting on un-even odds. :(

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Most servers will leave crits on, because good or bad, they're apart of the game, and most people will get TF2 to play it for what it is. The only time I've ever even heard of no-crit servers are in those competitive serious league games, which in my opinion are no fun at all, way too organised for a game this crazy.

Exide

Reaction score
I agree that those competitive serious league game servers aren't as fun as public servers. But I don't believe it's because of nocrits. :p

Like I mentioned before, kritzkrieg is rendered useless on public servers that has random crits. Of course, you can always run around and hope for luck, that none of the noobs hits you with a critical rocket. Usually someone does, though. And again, I don't like playing on luck. I prefer playing on skills.

In case none of you noticed; I hate random crits.. a lot. :thdown:

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Kritzkrieg is not completely useless on a server with regular crits, it's just not as useful as it would be in a league game or without regular crits.

It ensures that you get 100% critical hits for 10 seconds, making it better than random crits, and still making it useful.

Exide

Reaction score
Kritzkrieg is not completely useless on a server with regular crits, it's just not as useful as it would be in a league game or without regular crits.

It ensures that you get 100% critical hits for 10 seconds, making it better than random crits, and still making it useful.

Right, until a random crit hits the medic. :p

Reaction score
I play on the Hampshire Heavies, a group of UK based servers. Started late 2007 and still haven't found a better community, better servers or better ways of handling the servers.

Maps are decided by vote, and which 5 maps get votable is based on which maps people have liked, based on their ratings of the maps to the server. So if badlands has a lot of positive ratings, badlands has a much greater chance to show up in the vote than say hydro. Pretty much everything else is decided by vote, too. Random crits on/off decided at the start of the round, uneven teams scrambled if most of the people think it's necessary etc. I'm never going back to those instant spawn 2fort servers again :)

As for the classes, I prefer demo and heavy. Demo is one of the most delicate classes (I'm not counting the spam demos on the gazillion-player pub servers), having to keep his enemies at the right distance, managing his ammo all the time, having to aim well and predict the enemies movements, changing tactics, ambushing enemies, wreaking havoc with Kritzes, and so much more.

Heavy too is often overlooked to be just a brute force class, it's all about choosing your battles really, really well, predicting your enemies thoughts, often leading the offense and coordinating with your team and possible medic. There's nothing more pleasing than getting up close with unsuspecting enemies and making them flee (they won't get away), or fooling opponents to coming to get themselves killed. But as I said, choosing your fights and positioning yourself is really important as a heavy. Also, as weird as it might sound, you'll want to be a tad less in sight (and stay quiet unless you can't!) than some other classes, otherwise they'll just run from you or shoot your head off.

Badlands and other cp maps are my favorites, but spammy servers can turn even them boring.

Also, to all you spies out there, you'll often want to wait for the right moment. Stay cloaked or not too close, suspicious, whatever. If you want some backstabs, get them while they're distacted. A good spy can easily get enemies who are shooting at other targets, that's the only moment they're sure not to spycheck or turn in caution. Also, don't be too predictable. If you keep killing the same targets or stay at the same places, they'll find you. You might even want to change some other class from time to time to cure their paranoia.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Hampshire Heavies is indeed a great community.

---

Never mentioned that my favourite map was Goldrush, during its release there were several exploits where the engineer could trap its team mates or build sentries behind walls. Even after all of that's been fixed, there's still alot of interesting places to get to as an Engineer, especially in Stage 1.

Exide

Reaction score
<wall of text>
These servers sounds really neat. Please provide ip adresses. :)

I agree completely. :thup:
I find demo really difficult to play. When you face a really good one you're usually screwed, though. :p
Heavies worst enemies are probably a not-so-skilled allied medic and enemy spies. When heavies starts firing their backs are really easy to hit with the stab. It's them, scoping snipers and ocassionally hammering engineers, that are possible to stab without the need for luck.

I've discovered that if you get seen as a spy (disguised or not), you are dead. Period.
As long as you manage to stay cloaked until you get deep into the enemy base you have a small chance of pulling a few backstabs and sap some metal.
Another good tactic is mine; run straight at the enemy and hope for facestabs, since backstabs are bugged and really hard to get off anyway.

@Jindo: Bug exploits suck. :p
I never find any glitches to abuse anyway. :(

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Random Crits: Yes, it's sometimes nice to have them off, but it's also fun to see critical explosives every once in a while. As a pyro, reflecting is fun, and it's extremely satisfying to reflect a crit rocket back at a soldier. It's also extremely satisfying to get those crits every once in a while.

I play for fun with a good community, so I find it fun just to deal with the crits when they happen to you.

Also: No-crit servers also ruin some of the weapon balancing. They make the needle gun worse, the regular pyro axe worse, the heavy fists worse, etc.

I understand your reasons for not wanting crits, but I personally do not play competitively. Sure, I try and up my ranking on the server, and I play to win, but I don't get pissed off at crits. They happen, and do make the game more fun, imho.

Exide

Reaction score
I have nothing against crits.
It's random crits that I hate.

There are weapons that gives crits, such as the backburner. It's totally fine to get crit by the backburner, as long as it's not a random crit, imo.
Critting someone with a backburn = skill, since you need to position yourself behind them.
Hitting the ground several meters away from the target with a random critical rocket and killing the target is just luck. I don't like that. :(

Having a critical rocket (random or not) reflected back at you from a pyro isn't as fun as reflecting it back at someone. :p

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I agree random crits aren't so great, but they were alot more random until recently (granted they're still random) and they are a part of the game-play, this is the only reason they're staying on my server :3.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I had a bit of fun on your server, and i think i saw you Jindo ;)

I was on just now for a few maps :). (My name is the same as it is here (Jindo, maybe with a tag or two), so shouldn't be hard to spot ;))

Alot of the regulars are in some kind of temporary trend where they add "Flex" to their name somewhere, so don't be surprised if you hear that word being used in the mic chat every sentence ;P.

---

Our clan has started trying actual clan wars again lately, and after a few 'us v us' games, four of our players entered an actual game against another clan, and they absolutely thrashed the opponents, definitely a great start to our new team :3.

Choppa

www.warcraft-gamers.po.gs
Reaction score
Soldier or scout

Sometimes I can just totaly smash with scout, meatshots ftw, but then I get a bit tired, because it really is tiring playing scout, and I don't do so well after about 40 minutes.

Don't really have a favourite map but any of the push maps I like, good for scrimming.

I lost all my screen shots. Lol.

But I do have a video of me and my clan mate getting a triple middie on a demoman...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGWq53uTfKg

Exide

Reaction score
I haven't played TF2 in a long time.
I still think the game is awesome, but I'm not addicted to it anymore, and I probably suck so I wouldn't enjoy it as much. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.