Report Teen night owls likely to perform worse academically, emotionally

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
BERKELEY — Teenagers who go to bed late during the school year are more prone to academic and emotional difficulties in the long run, compared to their earlier-to-bed counterparts, according to a new study from UC Berkeley.

Berkeley researchers analyzed longitudinal data from a nationally representative cohort of 2,700 U.S. adolescents of whom 30 percent reported bedtimes later than 11:30 p.m. on school days and 1:30 a.m. in the summer in their middle and high school years.

By the time they graduated from high school, the school-year night owls had lower GPA scores, and were more vulnerable to emotional problems than teens with earlier bedtimes, according to the study published online Nov.10 in the Journal of Adolescent Health.

The results present a compelling argument in favor of later middle and high school start times in the face of intense academic, social and technological pressures, researchers said.

“Academic pressures, busy after-school schedules, and the desire to finally have free time at the end of the day to connect with friends on the phone or online make this problem even more challenging,” said Lauren Asarnow, lead author of the study and a graduate student in UC Berkeley’s Golden Bear Sleep and Mood Research Clinic.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueMirage

Trust, but doubt.
Reaction score
Duh.
Going to sleep later means either not sleeping as much as you would like to, or you simply oversleep. The schedule of wherever you're studying does not accommodate to your preferences, it would be strange if your academic results weren't lower. And when your scores get lower, so does your confidence.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to sleep in school. Wake up at the bell in a big pile of drool on my desk. Guess I did not snore back then lol!

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Wow, teens that only get a few hours of sleep before going back to school perform worse? What a beneficial and highly needed study. Has anyone done this in relation to occupations? I'm wondering if only getting four hours of sleep would make me less productive. If not, I've been wasting four hours sleeping that I do not need.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to sleep in school. Wake up at the bell in a big pile of drool on my desk. Guess I did not snore back then lol!

I don't believe you. When you drool all over the desk, it means you're actually snoring so soothing that your saliva masks your snoring sounds and dribble across your throat.

In short, you probably snore through the saliva, thus making some gurgling sounds and chugging the saliva out of your mouth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.