Sci/Tech Teen solves Newton’s 300-year-old riddle.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
I dont agree with you on this part:

I dont think it could be confused, there is nothing to confuse. Its a fact that india is part of asia and calling somebody from india asian is absolutely correct and not confusing.
Saying he is from india does simply not matter in this case. They do not even need to say at all where he is from. Its not important in the context of his achievement.
I just dont understand why you would have a problem with them telling you he is asian and not indian. I dont understand why a discussion developes from something as insignificant as this and why you insist on calling him an indian instead of asian.

You say you don't think it can be confused. If that were the case, this debate never would've began. Agreed? No one's arguing that Indians are not Asians. But Asians are not necessarily Indians. You don't call a square a rectangle even though it is. You call it a square, because it better describes the shape. You wouldn't be wrong to call it a rectangle, but when I got in and looked I'd still tell you it's a square.

In the context of the article, his ethnicity has nothing to do with his achievement. I agree with you wholeheartedly. The issue at hand, I feel, is the general stereotype. Those of East Asian descent are often assumed to be very intelligent, as that's how the stereotype has developed (in the States, at least). Although the opposite is not said of those in the rest of Asia by any means, the same degree of intelligence is not associated with those nations. I don't think of Russians, Indians, Syrians or any others from the surrounding Asian countries to possess that sort of exceptional intelligence associated with the other countries.

The poster (Tom Mai?) says after he posts the article, "Yes, he is Asian." That's where the debate stems from. It was confused with those from Korea/China/Japan due to the stereotype, and the person that posted the initial response on the subject thought it should be clarified. I mean, do you see what I'm saying?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I only say the teenager is Asian, so as not to confuse readers who are used to categorizing people by their continental origins, and not to confuse people who thinks the teenager is a Native American (which were once also called Indians).

I believed I didn't explain clearly on why I say that, thus everything sparked into control. I apologize for this.

Jon Pryne

Reaction score
Wow, you guys, way to derail the topic! Seriously?

"ASIAN!"

"INDIAN!"

Does anyone have the details on the riddle in question? How about the solution? I'd sure like to know more about it.

Oh, and hello, I'm new here. Came looking for the above information & had to register to get this one back on track.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, you guys, way to derail the topic! Seriously?

"ASIAN!"

"INDIAN!"

Does anyone have the details on the riddle in question? How about the solution? I'd sure like to know more about it.

Oh, and hello, I'm new here. Came looking for the above information & had to register to get this one back on track.
Dont get the wrong impression, we just love pointless discussions over here. Its our greatest hobby in the news forum.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
True dat. Most of the best arguments become pretty off-topic at some point or another. Just roll with it.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
non of you are wrong fatmankev and accname, tbh i think it depends on the country you live in and what others in your environment determine who to call.

Like in Australia we have a pretty large 'Asian' population, myself included but those with yellow skin are almost exclusively called asians whilst indians are called indians. But i see no wrong in calling them asian as well because it is accurate but it might be confusing in different contexts.

Pointless argument is fun and also arguments with firecat ;)

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.