News Teenager dies after allergic reaction to peanuts in sauce at Chinese buffet

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Pharmacists are medically trained, you can't be giving out medications without knowing their effects on the body. However, this doesn't mean they are going to be a good alternative to a nurse or paramedic. But administration of an EpiPen is a low level emergency medicine for situations like this, and to be honest its irresponsible not to give it when indicated. Like seriously, all you do is take the epipen, remove the safetys and inject on the lateral end of the thigh and hold in place for 10 seconds to allow the medication to go in. Its made to be a simple yet extremely effective life saving intervention.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
[...] and to be honest its irresponsible not to give it when indicated.
It's also irresponsible not to have one when you have a condition that may require it, but that's neither here nor there.

Hard to blame someone for looking out for themselves. It's against the law for the pharmacist to give it to someone without a prescription, so why should the pharmacist suffer repercussions to help a total stranger? He has no obligation to them, and I don't think there's any reason to judge him for the choice he made, unless you're judging whether or not you want to go into anaphylactic shock without medication somewhere near his pharmacy.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
without knowing the patient's history or why they were suffering (who knows, mom might benefit if a random stranger offs her son), I would have to side with the pharmacist on this one - if it's an emergency, call 911 and get an ambulance, or go to an emergency room yourself - there they are prepared to deal with any unintended side effects

also, x2 for not getting a prescription ahead of time and keeping one nearby - it's not like peanuts are so uncommon that the allergy would be unheard of

Solu9

Reaction score
He has no obligation to them, and I don't think there's any reason to judge him for the choice he made,

That is kinda like saying:
If a man got a heart attack right next to you, you choose not to aid him because you are not obliged to do so.
Furthermore your choice is also based on the possibility that if you actually would aid him, you could break a rib of his, maybe puncture his lung and have a lawsuit on your hands afterwards because the man decides to sue you for violence.

I think either way I would help the man. Even if there is the possibility that I get a minor find or whatever. He needs help.
And don't you think the man in the mentioned scenario would have been better off with you helping him?

That pharmacist should have helped no matter what. If he had had some basic decency the girl would have been alive, and he would have been a hero, at least for that family.
Yes, they should have carried a EpiPen themselves, but in this case they didn't. But the girl could have been saved nonetheless.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
That is kinda like saying:
If a man got a heart attack right next to you, you choose not to aid him because you are not obliged to do so.
Furthermore your choice is also based on the possibility that if you actually would aid him, you could break a rib of his, maybe puncture his lung and have a lawsuit on your hands afterwards because the man decides to sue you for violence.

not quite - in your scenario, you wouldn't be doing anything illegal by trying to help, while the pharmacist would be doing the following:

1. disregarding the fact that he is at work (a while ago we had an article about a "hero" being fired for doing something helpful but not in their contract: companies want blind loyalty, not helpful people) and thus potentially getting fired or in trouble

2. stealing from the store - those epipen pens can cost $200 or so, and who knows if the patient has the money to pay for it or is even willing to pay for it

3. giving medicine to an unknown person - these are behind-the-counter drugs for a reason: they can have side-effects.. maybe the patient would have a side effect from an epipen and that is why they didn't have one - without looking at the person's history, or atleast being in a hospital that is ready to deal with any potential side effects

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Most pharmacies do keep track of when you get your prescriptions. etc...

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Most pharmacies do keep track of when you get your prescriptions. etc...

But they only apply to those where you have been prescribed medicine at. If you are near an unfamiliar pharmacy, and you require emergency help, they would most likely not have your prescription in their database.

Solu9

Reaction score
So it boils down to whether or not the pharmacist is willing to risk his job to help a girl in need. Because he is surely education enough to understand the situation.
Can there really be more than one answer to that question?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
But they only apply to those where you have been prescribed medicine at. If you are near an unfamiliar pharmacy, and you require emergency help, they would most likely not have your prescription in their database.
But If you've been prescribed the medicine before. "unfamiliar or not" Mostly pharmacy, can still see that in their database.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Pharmacists are medically trained, you can't be giving out medications without knowing their effects on the body. However, this doesn't mean they are going to be a good alternative to a nurse or paramedic. But administration of an EpiPen is a low level emergency medicine for situations like this, and to be honest its irresponsible not to give it when indicated. Like seriously, all you do is take the epipen, remove the safetys and inject on the lateral end of the thigh and hold in place for 10 seconds to allow the medication to go in. Its made to be a simple yet extremely effective life saving intervention.
And the likelihood of a pharmacist knowing this (or more likely, a pharmacy technician which is even lowlier than a pharmacist and probably has about the equivalent of practical medical training) is pretty low. They study the interactions of drugs, not the application.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.