Temporary Holding Area for sections that need own posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Way to go Accname! Thanks for posting your history! I really hope more members will do this! I am very interested in hearing the stories of how you guys came here and why you stayed around for all these years. I am going to add a section on the Site History Sticky about this if more members post stuff.

OMGOMGOMG

UMBWGMG (Unidentified Human Being.)
Reaction score
Seeing as The Helper wants to know, I first came here asking for help in 2010, things like changing your name in warcraft 3, and other small things. I never did publish the maps I was making... I just got bored of them. I then became actively involved in helping others, as I learned in knowledge and... well the World Editor.

Then I left, I had forgotten about TheHelper.net. I was mostly playing Ruenscape and barely ever on Warcraft. Then I logged into Warcraft III because I got bored of RS. And then I decided to start making another map... And then I remembered just the place: TheHelper.net.

I decided to help more activily this time, and under a new account name, which is what I still use.

I was asking questions I wasn't sure about, solving questions I could answer... And leaving the rest. I was mostly in the Warcraft III World Editor zone, too scared to go anywhere else. I vaguely knew who TheHelper was. After a few months back, I left. It was about the end of August when I left.
I went to Minecraft, and I played it till I got bored which was about early 2012, and late 2012 came the worst update to possibly ever happen to RS, so I quit. They had gone over a code they used. "We don't want our users to be-able to buy theirselves into the game." They were doing just that when they decided that being able to buy tickets for Squeel of Fortune would be the best thing that they did. I quit because that made the game boring, alot of people would be sure to come. I found my way back to Warcraft 3 and Map Editing.

I then found my way back to TheHelper, which was late 2012/early 2013. Then I left a gaphole for a while, until a month back, I am more active in more areas of the forum. I then discovered that The Helper was a user as well as the creator of TH. I thank him for making such a website.
It was also in 2012 that I "discovered" Youtube, which I made an account and watched videos, subbed to people I liked etc.

Well... This has been an excedlingly long post which I don't think anyone will bother reading, and if you read it, post in this thread your history.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Well, yeah... but it all depends, what kind of anonymity. you want to hide. @Accname

You're a veteran yourself
Oh crap, 5 year's are pretty long time. But my story, it's pretty much "non-existent” :cool:
You'd better tell. Your story ! lol

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Give it time. People will post there stuff eventually. We have some serious lurkers here. There are about 50 helpers though, many here now but alot more that started in 2005 when we first started the Special Membership where you could change the title below your avatar.

These guys were in it from the beginning and I would LOVE to hear there take on those years.

I am going to eventually add on to the Special Memberships page of the Site History, a list of those 1st group of Special Members. If they post there stories they will be added to the official stories section of the Site History. I sure hope I get some of those stories because I know alot of those people are lurking, maybe not every day, every week or month, but I know they still drop by.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, yeah... but it all depends, what kind of anonymity. you want to hide. @Accname

Oh crap, 5 year's are pretty long time. But my story, it's pretty much "non-existent” :cool:
You'd better tell. Your story ! lol

5 Years is a long time FireCat. I invite anybody to post there story here in this thread. People are definitely interested in this stuff. I would like to read it.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I joined back in 2003 or 2004 (dont quite remember) when I was still working actively with the world edit. Back then with a different Account; I lost the pw, I actually didnt really care for the account much back then.

I was in the midst of creating an epic multiplayer RPG when I first encountered my old nemesis: Memory Leaks.

I didnt know such things existed back then. Only really worked with java in the old days and the garbage collector was doing a nice job. It was incredible for me to think that the computers of the 21 century couldnt handle this shit on their own.

That was basically my first thread on thehelper, asking why in the name of god my map was getting more and more laggy over time.

Was a nice time I spend here though. Mostly in the world edit support forum, helping people all over the place.

But for the last couple of years I just kept trolling people in the headline news forum. I like making fun of people, thats just how I am.

I did not see 2003 -2004 that would put you pre Special Members before I got back involved with the site. Darg and Wargasm days.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
can't say i was ever really involved with the community here, but ^^^ asked me to make a post, so I did

wow, my account is 8 years old

joined as a kid for advice on war3 modding, got lots of useful advice, made some posts typical of a kid

learned my first programming language here (and at hive I guess, can't remember)

I remember I always preferred vJASS systems at thehelper instead of the ones at hive or wc3c when choosing systems to include in my unfinished map, no idea why, considering that nestharus' coding style should have been made a bannable offense

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not see 2003 -2004 that would put you pre Special Members before I got back involved with the site. Darg and Wargasm days.
Yeah, can remember darg and wargasm. Back then I was using a different account though because I lost my account information.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
When I joined ~7 years ago, I was a complete WEHZ noob, but by the time AH left, I was actually OK with the editor, and then I more or less stuck around as TH grew on me..

that's more or less it for me.... I wasn't ever a mod or anything special

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
When I joined ~7 years ago, I was a complete WEHZ noob, but by the time AH left, I was actually OK with the editor, and then I more or less stuck around as TH grew on me..

that's more or less it for me.... I wasn't ever a mod or anything special

You answered questions in the Help Forum though, lots of them and thanks for that!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Bumping because this thread has some stories I do not have in the index yet.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to look more at this thread... I think I forgot about stuff here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    And our actual cooks aren't really trained for that. Our line lead will be fine but our tournant is still kind of struggling with some things and he takes mistakes way too hard. I got onto him about scorching pans when making cream sauces and he started fucking everything else up, like dude it's fine just turn your heat down a bit. And then he burned like three batches of couscous in a row and it's like man
  • Varine Varine:
    He walked away from the first batch, learned nothing and walked away from the second batch, and then tried to toast it in a saute pan made out of aluminum so it scorched immediately and then I took away and he was sad all day
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    I know our range sucks but it's still a fucking fire down there, I've never measured it but I'm sure it's like a couple thousand degrees.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I wish I had a flat top grill in my kitchen!
  • jonas jonas:
    I wish I could cook asian dishes :D
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You just need a pressure cooker like an instapot for the asian dishes
  • The Helper The Helper:
    they make that stuff easy
  • The Helper The Helper:
    and there is a flat top grill I can buy that will work on my stovetop but it is pricey
  • The Helper The Helper:
    and I have no room for that anyway
  • Varine Varine:
    I have a thing that goes over two burners for my house, but it doesn't work great. I think they make ones that plug in where the coils go but it's not cheap.
  • Varine Varine:
    And yeah if you have a pressure cooker you can do lots of stuff really fast. Depending on what you're trying to do it ranges from really easy to really hard
  • Varine Varine:
    If you want to make tonkotsu broth, you're gonna have a rough time, but if you want to do like stir fries or something that tends to be pretty easy
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Ingredients are sometimes hard to find though, which is why we're doing 'fusion'. We don't have wok burners either, so it'll be kind of a weird transition
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Added another slow cooker recipe - this time a dessert - Slow Cooker Fried Apples https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-slow-cooker-cracker-barrel-fried-apples.192860/
  • Varine Varine:
    I have three teenagers apply for college that all asked for letters of recommendation with like two days notice lol. Like I get it guys, and I'm happy to help, but maybe tell me you need it before you need to turn these applications in?
  • Varine Varine:
    I guess they are literal children, so not exactly the best at thinking ahead. Fucking kids
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Yeah they are just inexperienced and young
  • jonas jonas:
    I'm still horrible at that :eek: often forget things or do things on the last minute
  • The Helper The Helper:
    My daughter is same way
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Saturday people!!!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am sure nobody cares but I am seriously considering taking the Gaming News forum and just changing it to General Gaming Discussion since I post so much about gaming in the General Discussion Forum
  • The Helper The Helper:
    guests online 487 at 12:30 and none of them show up on the stats - all bots man
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Latest recipe is a great one - I love Philly Cheese and this is Philly Cheese Meatloaf https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-philly-cheese-meatloaf.192935/
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Beep boop
    +2

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.