Which is your Favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Terrain Contest I

The Voting Thread:
Vote for whichever terrain you think is best.
Remember to reply, stating which one you voted for and why.
If you could comment on all of them, it'd be appreciated.

Making new accounts simply to vote is forbidden. I will be checking. If caught, all of your votes won't be counted, and you will be banned from future contests.

Contest Thread

The Terrain:

1: 1.jpg

2: 2.jpg

3: 3.JPG

4: 4.jpg

5: 5.jpg

6: 6.jpg

7: 7.jpg

8: 8.jpg

9: 9.jpg

10: 10.jpg

11: 11.jpg

12: 12.jpg

13: 13.JPG

14: 14.jpg

15: 15.jpg

You have until Saturday 20th June to vote!

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Think of it as a picture, not a Wc3 terrain then.
Regardless, you're voting for the screenshot.

I'm quite sure most of these aren't even playable, and look like shit from any other angle. :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's OK. There's always a first. :p
These sorts of competitions differ greatly from most other Wc3 competitions.

Contestants here are to present a screenshot of warcraft terrain. As long as the terrain was made in the editor, it doesn't matter if it's playable, or how it looks from any other angle.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
1 - I voted for it, nuff said
2 - I don't see summer here (looks creepy)
3 - ???
4 - I would have voted for it, but the author didn't listen to my suggestions/comments
5 - the terrain looks dead, no summer here either
6 - unnatural terrain
7 - nice use of fog and represents the summer in a pretty way, but still not perfect (something is missing)
8 - doesn't look good (no fog, non-realistic landscape)
9 - looks blank, lacks of detail, no fog (the sun looks like a falling meteor lol)
10 - plain, no landscape, no fog, that windmill is size of a mouse
11 - looks good actually, but not much to see (no landscape either)
12 - it would be a beautiful terrain if you used better models
13 - so much terrain, but still nothing
14 - looks like a creepy abandoned island, doesn't look realistic (those corrals aren't fitting very well etc.)
15 - same as 12

I said my opinion

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are some good quality terrains in this contest. I am going to have to think about my vote for this one.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
[del]We get to know who all the authors are once voting is complete, right?[/del] Thanks Romek.
[del]And just wondering;
Do all these contests go into some sort of repository or?[/del]
Thanks UndeadDragon.

As for the terrains, here we go:
  1. Looks nice. The sun isn't a generic perfect circle in the sky. The beams of light look good. The rain I actually don't like in this one for some reason though.
  2. This one doesn't appeal to me. It looks too much like a dark and gloomy storm. Not a bright(er) and happy summer scene.
  3. The birds-eye view sort of ruined it. How did the people get there also? A little path would've been good to have.
  4. I still would've liked to see more flowers of differentiating color. And a path through the trees and over the hill maybe in the middle would've looked really good I would think. I still really like it though, good job.
  5. What's that circle thing in the sky. I knew beach ball would come in somewhere, but it doesn't really fit for your scene, sorry. Also, I would think the suns too high up still for the sky to be that kind of color.
  6. As mentioned there's too many structures. At some parts the water also seems to rise up and over the terrain.
  7. I really like how you pushed the mountains back and added trees going off into the fog (Like I suggested) . The non-overuse of shells gives it a nice touch. The sun being down a bit more would've probably looked nicer. But amazing job overall.
  8. There's something...Weird looking about this one. Are those trees imported or something? The spamming of weeds really throws it off, they still cut their grass way back when.
  9. There's still too many shells. Maybe you could have made the beach full of people to make the two playing fit in more. Nice terrain though overall.
  10. I actually really like this one; For it's terrain though. It doesn't remind me of summer all too well. If the sky was brighter or something it would've been really, really good.
  11. This one is just amazing. There's only really one thing that bothers me; The torch. Seems a little unsafe just sitting in the middle of a million flammable things.
  12. Is that water or a crater? I like the shining of the light though. This one's actually really nice, those trees underneath the bridge just throw it off.
  13. The dirt tileset ruins this one. Why is there a random blue glow too in the top pool of water? The background looks good though, just not the foreground of it.
  14. I love this one actually. If there was more beams coming in at angles going across to the right, but not spammed, that would've been so good. Just a little lighter on the sky though would've made this perfect.
  15. I like this one too. The random brown thing in the bottom right corner just looks weird though. I like it still though.

Phew...
11, 12, and 14.
I'm voting for...

11's torch throws me off, and I never really liked the yellow fog in all these.
12's trees under the bridge turns me off too much.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I am going to have to think about my vote for this one.
Indeed. :(

> We get to know who all the authors are once voting is complete, right?
Yes

Thanks for the awesome reply, Wolfie.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I have a comment (ok, a few ones, actually) to do for the screenies, but I will state them after the authors are given away, as from these comments some may find out which is mine.

I vote for the first one. Although those critics I want to make are valid to this one as well, it's actually the best looking one of all. I do not care about the realism of the look, because it's Warcraft III here we're talking about, not some reality copy-cat game. It's just the most pleasant image of them all. And it is amongst those that represent the best the theme: summer. There are others that remind me more of the summer, but the look of #1 won my vote.

Good luck to all of the contestants!

EDIT: In terms of terraining (as in method, not look), I think that the 12th is the most worked on and its author surely knows his stuff :thup:. Kudos for that!

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
1, 4, 6, 7, and 8 were all good.
12 was pretty cool. I just realized how it's really high up. Person should've shown more depth and show a bit more of the bottom, under the bridge, since at quick glance you can't tell they're high up. Really cool though.
4 was bee-ah-tee-ful, :) Nice view if one could find one like that in real life.
15 has a nice little castle view.
1 was awesome and sick! :thup:

Good job and good luck to all contestants though, there were a lot of nice ones!

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Wasn't this about 'Summer', not 'cool', or 'realistic', or 'awesome'? I voted for 12 myself, it fit Summer the best in my opinion.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Just to justify in case anyone is thinking why I picked 14.
It actually reminds me the most of summer TBH.

Summer to me is not some uber yellow scene with lights everywhere (In WC3, yellow fog, huge sun, beams of light, all spammed) .
Summer to me is a nice, calm, bright (Not blinding) time of the year.

14 I feel represents that the most.
The calming, clear, perfectly blue water is the nicest one out of all of them.
Notice how it doesn't have the retarded looking yellow fog also?
I mean really, if you look outside during the summer can you see 10 yards then some random yellow fog takes over?

It has the beams of light, which as I said there could have been a couple more, but I like that the author didn't just go click-happy with them like the other terrains.

Also as I mentioned the sky could've been a bit lighter;
But not too much.
If 14 had the same yellow-spam the others did I wouldn't have voted for it.

It's also not using any imports (AFAIK?) .
Normal WC3 objects to make that nice of a scene is, to me;
Why it's the best.

So, uh, yeah :rolleyes: .

warden13

Reaction score
You don't have to be at the beach in the summer. It was so hard to decide. My vote goes to 4.

RedSword

Reaction score
4 impressed me, voted for. then come 11.
Birdview of the 3 ruined it. & Herbs sprite ruin 10.
If warcraft 3 had really polished models 5 would be better.

Playing with lights effect makes all the difference.

EDIT : Hey wt* are some people talking about summer... the Vote thread wasn't talking about reading it the contest thread... it just have a link... nothing more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.