Terraining Contest, Reward being decided.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Terraining Contest, Reward ALMOST decided.

As it says, im deciding to hold a terraining contest, not a big deal just for a bit of fun :).

Also as it says, im looking for a reward so when i've decided i will post on here.

The task is to terrain a map to look a much of a beach/forest or dungeon as possible!

RULES:

~You can apply via PM/posting on the thread.
~You can apply to be either a judge or contestant, not both.
~There can only be 3 judges (including me).
~Map size must be either 32x32/64x64/96x96.
~Tilesets do not matter, just get it to look like one of the above.
~Attach a screenshot of the entire map (advanced>view entire map) with the title and what it is supposed to be a map of (forest/beach/dungeon).
~You can get into groups although it is pointless if you are doing 32x32 maps.
~Closing date is 25/8/05 (UK) or 8/25/05 (USA)

JUDGING:

~Screenshots of the maps will be judged by:
~Size and realisticness.
~Tileset and how much the chosen tileset looks like whatever you chose to do.
~Screenshots of the maps will also be judged by how clever the name is.
~The map will be judged out of 30, 10 for design, 10 for use of scenery and 10 for use of space of map, highest score you will be able to get is 30.

Any other questions please ask.

Have fun mapping :D!

clicking the links will direct you to their entry, it will do so when the page is FULLY loaded

Contestants: UnknowVector, hobo218, husky_003, Krakka, Killfest2, Rinpun, Tom_Green, Sheep_Quest, sqarge, LgZepplin, BrokenX, ShadowSnip4, Duwenbasden, Luciann, AgentPaper.
Judges: Me (Jindo), kc102, Alexander.

A more descriptive version on how your terrain will be marked:

If you send a screenshot, it will gain marks for good scenery, angle, choice and environment.

If you send a map, it will gain marks for good scenery, environment, layout and use of land.

All maps and screenshots will be looked at carefully by judges, if the detail in your map isnt very clear, you wont get as many marks as a screenshot with clear and lovely scenery.

Using sky and weather effects will help your terrain get marks, remember you can edit your terrain and add on to it and resubmit your screenshot/map if you feel that you're missing something.

~Jindo

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
Jindo said:
~Closing date is 25/8/05 (UK)

Wahey, someone remembered us! :shades:

Can I do a forest with a beach? or can I only do either beach or forest?

sorry if I was meant to pm you with questions but it wasnt clear in the post. :rolleyes:

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I dont care how you ask questions, just ask and i will clear things up :).

you can use something you've already done, it just has to be as good as it can be.

It can be a combination of all 3, i guess that would help you to get closer to 10/10.

Units can be used of course, it makes it look more relaistic so that could get more marks also ;).

Still haven't decided a reward, am i even allowed to have a reward? :p.

Hope this clears it up a little.

~Jindo

PS: NoxMortus, i remembered because im UK person :shades:

EDIT: an example for you all along with a tip, fuse terrain together when combining or it wont look to real.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 420

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
Reward has officially been decided upon to be Jindo's rubber llama

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
ROFL!!

LOL i said nothing about reward yet... good idea though :D!

What about.. the llama of troy :p.

Seriousy, it may be some kind of graphic or program or something.

I just hope that i will get a few contestants, please let me know in any way if you want to be judge/contestant.

~Jindo

PS:if it were a graphic it would be a llama with a badge on it saying 1st place in terrain competition LOL!

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
I would like to compete! Reward a screenshot of a piece of cheese mmmm i love cheese.... argh we need a drolling smilie.. and a dracula one, and a sly one, and a innocent one......

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I'm applying to be a judge, can't enter this got my hands full with the ablility contest.

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
if th let every1 have sigs, I would make a sig for the winner :D
I might go in this contest.. but im pretty busy so I don't know

S

Sheep_Quest

Some few questions

1. Are we allowed to use costum models?
2. Can we post more then 1 screen shot from diffrent angels of the map as long as the full map view is included amoung them?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
@Sheep_Quest: 1. Yes, models are fine just make it as real as you can.
2. no, just have 1 screenshot of the whole thing by going to advanced>view entire map. Besides, if you show loads you're wasting attachment space :p.

Also, SQ & NoxMortus are you competing?

Anyway, good start 2 judges and 2 competitors but we need more contestants and a judge :D!

Good luck to contestants :D.

~Jindo

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, was about to start making a piece (yes I enter), when I encounted:

Jindo said:
2. no, just have 1 screenshot of the whole thing by going to advanced>view entire map. Besides, if you show loads you're wasting attachment space :p.

Thats silly! Personally I think part of terrain is getting a good camera angle (with shots from different sides). Anyway you wouldn't be wasting attachment space becuase you could attach your pics via Image Shack or whatever its called.

So are we allowed to have more than one camera angle if we want?

-Husky

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
yeah, you can have more if you want, just saying its your attachment space :p.

okay adding contestants and judges on the first post.

~Jindo

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I'll be a judge if you still need one more.

DM Cross

Reaction score
\m/ (>.<) \m/ RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!

Sweet :) So, when's the deadline for this, anyway?

And what are we judging ON?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
deadline is explained on the first post :p.

Contest closes:

25/8/05 (UK) 8/25/05 (USA)

Judging begins and ends:

26/8/05 (UK) 8/26/05 (USA)

no submissions wll be accpeted beyond the contest deadline.

One thing i must ask you and kc, how will we communicate for deciding the winner? do you both have MSN?

Also, i think ill ask an admin if they can provide the winner with a contest winner sigature (made by random person (probably me)).

~Jindo

DM Cross

Reaction score
Jindo said:
One thing i must ask you and kc, how will we communicate for deciding the winner? do you both have MSN?

Yes.

And AIM.
MSN- [email protected]
AIM- AlexanderStinda

Jindo said:
Also, i think ill ask an admin if they can provide the winner with a contest winner sigature (made by random person (probably me)).

Perhaps getting their image hosted on the Tutorial site somewhere? And naturally, a news post about the winner of the first (hopefully annual) TH.net Terraining Contest :)

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
I think this has been asked already but: Are you allowed more than one submission?

Also, for the Signature, I think you should allow the person to have a Signature with the: 1st in Terraining Contest locked to it (although I dont think you can do that). But i'm guessing they would keep it there anyway :D.

Signature would be a cool prize I reckon (I wouldn't mind one ;))
-Husky

EDIT: As for what Alexander said, that person should also make a Terraining tutorial or something (if they wanted too).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.