Terraining Contest | Theme: Movies | Deadline 12.08.10 - 27.08.10

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score

It's been quite some time I hosted a contest...

THEME

This time, the theme is something I quite like: MOVIES. It is your job to pick a movie you like, let it be something really famous, artsy or just sentimental to you, and make a still of it. Using World Editor as your weapon of choice, of course.

JUDGING

As in all democratic countries, people are the one with the highest power. Judging is going to take place with the help of a public poll, which lasts for three days. The winner is obviously the one with the most votes under his/her belt.

NOTE: Because of the maximum limit of 20 poll options, I'll take the responsibility of choosing the TOP 20 submissions if there are more than 20.​

RULES

• Imported models are strictly not allowed
  • You are not allowed to reveal anyone your terrain before voting has ended - this keeps voting unbiased
  • One map/entry per contestant
  • In order to enter the contest, you must send the map in a .zip or .rar format to my email address, which I'll give you once you PM here.
  • The map must contain four cameras ("Layers -> Cameras" in World Editor) which I'll use to take the screenshots - in essence, every entry will consist of four takes of your terrain from different angles. This will guarantee the same picture quality, size etc. for all contestants. Not to mention it allows you to show your terrain at more diverse angles.
  • If you want to post a work-in-progress picture(s), you must send the picture to my email address (PM me for it) and I'll post the picture myself to maintain the anonymity of your persona. WIP pictures are highly welcomed.
  • When you send me your submission, you must also include your thehelper nickname and the name of the movie you used as a reference.
  • If you fail to maintain the anonymity of your persona, your submission will be disqualified, but you are still eligible to enter with a different terrain. Given you still have time till the deadline.
  • In addition to the name of the movie, you must send me the picture - still - you based your terrain on.
  • I'll reserve the right to change/add/remove rules if needed or some situation/question arises.

DEADLINE

You have exactly one week - 7 days - from the time this thread has been posted.

What else can I say, let the best replica master win!

Happy terraining!

Andrewgosu,

Your favourite Pandaren

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Off-topic:- Are you back now? Awesome :D.

On-topic:- While I'm not really a terrainer...but I've seen some really awesome terrains from people, so I'm keeping my eye on this. GL to everyone participating! I might try for fun :p.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I wanna join but Im a bit confused. Does the terrain we make have to be something that looks exactly like in a movie or similar(like a forest with similar elements but not exact)? Also, do we state the movie its from?

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
You should make it at least a bit similar to a scene in the movie since it is a still after all. And yes you should state the movie it is from (7th rule). Good Luck :)

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Does the terrain we make have to be something that looks exactly like in a movie or similar(like a forest with similar elements but not exact)?

The more similar to the movie, the better, I reckon. I mean, if you just terrain a forest then it's really not something spectacular as lots of movies have forests as scenery.

And yes, you have to state the name of the movie.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
do we have to show the scene as it looked like in the movie or do we have to show how some camera mans are filming that scene right now in a studio?

and i think "no imports" is a really bad rule for this kind of theme. that means all sci-fi or modern-timed movies are out. there aint that much left with the standard warcraft models.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Another contest! Hmm, I just remembered, I suck 100% at terraining. I don't really understand "make a still of it". Anyway, what's the reward for the winners?

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
do we have to show the scene as it looked like in the movie or do we have to show how some camera mans are filming that scene right now in a studio?

and i think "no imports" is a really bad rule for this kind of theme. that means all sci-fi or modern-timed movies are out. there aint that much left with the standard warcraft models.

It's your choice, really. You can redo a massive epic battle of ... movie or some scene from a romantic drama using units.

I thought about the no-imports rule and I think it's brilliant, because it kind of forces you to think outside of the box to make hilarious and fantastic terrains about a movie.

I don't really understand "make a still of it". Anyway, what's the reward for the winners?

Still is basically just a single shot from a movie, like a picture. I mean, a movie consists of moving pictures, usually 24 per second, and a still is essentially a single moment captured. It would a be a cinematic contest if you had to recreate a whole segment or scene...

The prize is, of course, a big fat lump of reputation.

Nherwyziant

Reaction score
Still is basically just a single shot from a movie, like a picture. I mean, a movie consists of moving pictures, usually 24 per second, and a still is essentially a single moment captured. It would a be a cinematic contest if you had to recreate a whole segment or scene...

Something like this?
You'll search for image of a scene, then you do it in WE
testhx.jpg

testtj.png

Just a test ^

and i think "no imports" is a really bad rule for this kind of theme.
I agree xD

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Can I use a still from a movie trailer? Normally the trailer only includes clips from the movie itself, but this specific clip isn't there in the movie as it's just meant for extra effect.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
In addition to the name of the movie, you must send me the picture - still - you based your terrain on.
Ah damn, I guess I've lost then :p. My terrain is loosely based on two different images mixed together.

Nherwyziant

Reaction score
I guess I have no time, I have read this thread at 15, 16 and 17 is my review day, and 18, 19 is my periodical examination.

Necrach

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hah, I did really bad on the last terraining contest. However, that was my first.

I get the feeling LotR will be used by more than one participant :eek:

EDIT: A question.
If the screenshots are being taken in-game, how is that done? If I, for example, add triggers and units attacking eachother? Should we give you an exact elapsed time for all the screenshots or are we not allowed to make anything happen in the map :eek:

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
You are allowed to trigger special effects/units fighting etc. I will use the cameras and take a screenshot at random, so it's better not to code a whole sequence of things to happen - it's a terraining contest after all.

(e.g units with looping fighting animations are fine, but some timed-effects not, because I'll just take a screenshot of the scene and it's not guaranteed I'll get the effect)

Hope that makes it more clear for you.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
I'll extend the deadline by a week, because at the moment I have only 2 submissions.

Come one, people! The theme isn't that bad.

:p

(The ones who sent me their submissions: you can still edit and resend them, if you'd like)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.