Terraining - Forest, Icy River, and Cave

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
This is a tutorial on how to terrain scenes of dungeons, forests and icy wastelands.

Part 1: Starting

All you need to get started is your world editor (expansion).

Part 2: Beginning the Forest

http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jpggm00019lw.jpg

Click that and see what you will be acheiving.

Start off with your map, any size and imediatly cover a part of the map with hills using the raise/lower tools at the bottom of the terrain pallette.

When you have done that, simply add some trees around the place, add quite a lot but dont mass up on them or it will look quite a mess.

Now for the finale of the forest, use the dirt terrain and place a dirt path which winds through the hill.

Now be amazed at your miraculous masterpiece!

TIP: It is always a good idea to put high hills/trees in the background so that it doesn't suddenly turn into sky!

---

Part 3: A River of Ice

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jpgsr00026sv.jpg

That is a picture of an icy wasteland done with Icecrown Glacier. Need something like this? follow this part.

Use the Depp Water tool and create a fairly large river with going from one side to the other.

Now, add some icy things found in the doodad pallette, look in environment, props and trees/destructibles.

If you like, put crystal shards and floating ice things in the river.

Always have something like bones stuck into the ground, it looks effective.

Now, you've basically finished that, add some critters if you feel like it.

TIP: Critters can make a BIG change to the map, i have penguins floating in the river, partly 'cos it looks funny, but it is VERY effective.

---

Part 4: A Cave

http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jpgdg00037lf.jpg

Click that and see what a cave would look good as.

---

Basically you may use either Dungeon or Outland tilesets, i prefer dungeon 'cos it looks for dungeon-like.

Anyway, that's all you need for terrain now go straight to the doodad pallette and add things like stalectmites and craters. It is always a good-idea to add Fire (found in Cinematic) to the craters, it makes them look for dangerous.

Now, add dust also found in cinematic, it looks like some of the ceiling is falling down which is the kind of thing you would expect in a cave.

Now you've finished! Congratulations!

TIP: (as once suggested by Alexander in TLS thread) Caves look like caves more when you add the Underground Dome in.

My suggestion to that: if it is too small than make it larger in the doodad editor in the object editor.

---

Good luck all with your maps and enjoy the tutorial!

~Jindo

R

Ragnar

Nice tutorial!

But uhh....What is the underground dome? I put it in my map once to find out, and nothing happened.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
under the doodad palette, you put it in.

If you see nothing then press C and zoom, you should see a cave-like wall.

~Jindo

Sargon

Reaction score
Dude, the hills that the trees are on in the first picture are absurd. Have you ever seen anything in real life that remotely looks like that?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
There are a few hilly forests around my area, but im in the UK so forests in the USA and other locations are gonna look different to the forest shown above.

Anyway, in warcraft, the terrain doesn't have to look just like the real thing, you try your best to combine fantasy with nature and you end up with things like the screenshot above.

~Jindo

N-a-z-g-u-l

Reaction score
easier description of the underground dome:

it's a dome where you can build sth in. it's very big, so the camera is in the dome first, you can scroll to the border and you will see a wall... i think you can only see the wall from the inside, from the outside its transparent

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
That foreswt needs some serious smoothing, nothing in real life OR fantasy looks anything like that. And you said to put hills in the background, then didn't?

Rad

Reaction score
Bringing up the past again Agent Paper? :p

Anyways, yes needs smoothing, some more tiles, and environmental effects (Bushes, flowers, logs, mushrooms, etc)

S

skinny77

There are a few hilly forests around my area, but im in the UK so forests in the USA and other locations are gonna look different to the forest shown above.

I also live in the UK. However, no offence, but every wood and forest in the UK I have been to looks nothing like yours. You don't have enough doodads as well. But the other two are great!

GO PENGUINS! YEAH!

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
ugh sorry man but your forest looks plain and insanely unnatural, it looks like u just used the raise tool, and a bunch of tree doodads, forest have alot of greenery and arent really that open : /

the river of ice is pretty damn cool and believable, but thats about it . . .

bLu3_eYeS

Reaction score
This is a tutorial on how to terrain scenes of dungeons, forests and icy wastelands.

Part 1: Starting

All you need to get started is your world editor (expansion).

Part 2: Beginning the Forest

my.php

Click that and see what you will be acheiving.

Start off with your map, any size and imediatly cover a part of the map with hills using the raise/lower tools at the bottom of the terrain pallette.

When you have done that, simply add some trees around the place, add quite a lot but dont mass up on them or it will look quite a mess.

Now for the finale of the forest, use the dirt terrain and place a dirt path which winds through the hill.

Now be amazed at your miraculous masterpiece!

TIP: It is always a good idea to put high hills/trees in the background so that it doesn't suddenly turn into sky!

---

Part 3: A River of Ice

my.php

That is a picture of an icy wasteland done with Icecrown Glacier. Need something like this? follow this part.

Use the Depp Water tool and create a fairly large river with going from one side to the other.

Now, add some icy things found in the doodad pallette, look in environment, props and trees/destructibles.

If you like, put crystal shards and floating ice things in the river.

Always have something like bones stuck into the ground, it looks effective.

Now, you've basically finished that, add some critters if you feel like it.

TIP: Critters can make a BIG change to the map, i have penguins floating in the river, partly 'cos it looks funny, but it is VERY effective.

---

Part 4: A Cave

my.php

Click that and see what a cave would look good as.

---

Basically you may use either Dungeon or Outland tilesets, i prefer dungeon 'cos it looks for dungeon-like.

Anyway, that's all you need for terrain now go straight to the doodad pallette and add things like stalectmites and craters. It is always a good-idea to add Fire (found in Cinematic) to the craters, it makes them look for dangerous.

Now, add dust also found in cinematic, it looks like some of the ceiling is falling down which is the kind of thing you would expect in a cave.

Now you've finished! Congratulations!

TIP: (as once suggested by Alexander in TLS thread) Caves look like caves more when you add the Underground Dome in.

My suggestion to that: if it is too small than make it larger in the doodad editor in the object editor.

---

Good luck all with your maps and enjoy the tutorial!

~Jindo

Sorry for posting , i know this is a old tutorial but i think it will look better if you put

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.