Terraining - Rivers Basics

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Basic Rivers

by husky_003

This is going to be a small tutorial but it should help out some of you when making your terrain.

Most peoples rivers are just done by using the Shallow Water technique, but I think this method makes your rivers look nicer and cleaner.

This makes your rivers have no cliffs in it, but allows more variatoin on depth, height. Also makes placing Enivromental Doodads in your Rivers much easier, you can actually place them on the cliff.

SPECIAL NOTE:
When you first start a map you can choose cliff heights. The higher the cliffs are the Deeper you can make your rivers.

STEP 1: Placing Your Water
Firstly in the Main Terrain screen, go: Advacned > Enforce Water Height Limits.

Now use your shallow/deep water tool and place a river where you want it to go as you would with a normal river. Also if your going to make a lake of somesort just place a big area of shallow water.

NOTE: It doesn't matter how messy this looks just make sure it's wide enough for how big you want it to be.

STEP 2: Back to Normal
Okay, once you have placed all the water how you want it use Raise 1 (or Raise 2 if you used deep water), and raise the whole area you just placed water on. Yes bring it up so it's perfectly flat just like it was before you placed all your water.

So what was the point in that you ask? Well read on and you'll see.

IMPORTANT: Remeber where you've placed your river becuase you can only place water in that spot.

STEP 3: Making the River
Now going back to where the river was placed get the Lower Tool (the blue one NOT Shallow Water, we need Lower). Now where your river originally was lower that piece of land and you'll eventually come to water :eek:, but this is what you want.

So now lower the whole place that your river originally was.

You should of noticed that your rivers are now much smoother than cliff ones. You can still add bits of cliff here and there it should look fine on the most part.

TIP: Make different parts of the river differnt heights, this adds a bit of variation to your map.

STEP 4: Spicing it Up
So now all you have to do is add Enviromental and Water doodads and it will look alot more natural than your Cliff rivers. You can also add trees if you want to.

Do what you want with it now.

Hope you enjoy your new rivers.

Happy Mapping,
-Husky

Rad

Reaction score
Just so you know, this isnt the same as the water level tutorial. Although this works nicely with it (It does get a bit complex with all the cliffs though :rolleyes: )

It will surely help anyone who doesnt know how, of course this will be used many times for a reference to guests and new members, just a quick link here... Just like the rest of em ;)

EDIT: Husky feel free to add this to your tutorial, you can just make the map size 32x32 set as shallow or deep when you first create the map, then raise it and use 'plateau' when its high enough, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE EDGES. Then change the map size and camera bounds to whatever you want and you can make rivers wherever :)

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
One word:

Screenshots.

Rad

Reaction score
Husky I made you a screenshot following your tutorial its so nice :D

untitled0kb.jpg

Rad

Reaction score
Its a tiny square lake... see the loch ness monster? :rolleyes:

I can make a better one for you then that was just meant as a joke (obviously.....)

Give me a minute

EDIT: Ok I just updated it, my little lake sure has grown up :rolleyes:

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
*sniff, sniff* They grow up... so fast!

Cheers. Thanks for the pic.

-Husky

Oh and in your last pic, i didnt see any Loch Ness, or was that just meant to be the Rowboat that was poking out :p.

Kitt

Reaction score
I Just thought it might be good to point out that you want "enforce water hight limits" to be unchecked. That could cause a little confusion, i had to do a quick test myself to make sure unchecking was indeed what i wanted to do.

Over, very nice O.O i'm definetly doing this for all of my rivers. Soooo much nicer to look at.

Mrow.

Rad

Reaction score
husky_003 said:
*sniff, sniff* They grow up... so fast!

Cheers. Thanks for the pic.

-Husky

Oh and in your last pic, i didnt see any Loch Ness, or was that just meant to be the Rowboat that was poking out :p.

No it was the fish! :D You probrably didnt notice it, but it did take up maybe 10% of the pond lol

Kitt

Reaction score
Kitt said:
that you want "enforce water hight limits" to be unchecked.

Just saying it wasn't clear if you should have it on or off^^

Also, a good way to mark where your water is would be to temporarily cover it with the boundry tool and black it out. Sorta like chalkin in your water pipes O.O

Mrow.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Rad said:
EDIT: Husky feel free to add this to your tutorial, you can just make the map size 32x32 set as shallow or deep when you first create the map, then raise it and use 'plateau' when its high enough, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE EDGES. Then change the map size and camera bounds to whatever you want and you can make rivers wherever :)
I've been shouting this for months and months, and even posted on that 'water level' tutorial

Yet no one &^*&*(g listen anyway.

Rad

Reaction score
Ehh sorry ryoko, I havent been here a month :rolleyes: (Although I have known this for a few months ;) )

EDIT: Clap clap :D

cjrocks

Reaction score
ok bare with me, this is the first tutorial ive tried.. and ive only just started editing and making maps :)
this is my day and night lagoon :)

lagoon6am.png

nightlagoon7do.png

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Ahh see looks good doesn't it. But I noticed down at the lake (bottom of waterfall) that area has been raised. Try lowering it for a more Realistic effect (it would really be rolling off that too.

-Husky

S

skinny77

cjrocks, i know u sed ur a beginer, but u need some constructive critiscisim :D . Firstly, u have way too many waterfall doodads on it, it just looks a bit of a jumble. If u can't get the angle right, then just place the waterfall, click on it (so it has a green ring round it), hold ctrl and hold left mouse button and u can rotate it. And secondly, ur lagoons water is ABOVE ground level. How is that possible? Thirdly, u need a few more water and environment doodads.
However, it was a nice try for a beginer. my first waterfall thing was way worse than urs. :eek:

Kitt

Reaction score
Eh, a nice ramp tutorial might be nice >.> I find myself baffled as to the mechanics of ramps. They only work on levels one level apart, and only if enough space is allowed. Meaning long, or tall ramps are a no show =(

Mrow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.