Terraining - Swamps

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Swamp Tutorial

I. This Tutorial will cover how to make a marshy/swampland
Alterations to Objects:
-Create 2 new Northrend Trees, Increase size of both to 1.5, set the fixed rotation of to -1, and pick one of them and change the maximum pitch angle to -1.5
-Create new lily pad (Preferably the one with 3 variations), Tint 125/125/125
-Create a river rush environment doodad, increase size to 1.5, and tint 125/125/125

II. Shaping:
-Your gonna want to start the map with shallow water, then use the raise land tool to shape out little islands
swamp1po4.jpg

III. Texturing:
-Depending on what your going for, you can throw in some rough dirt, blight, or some leaves
swamp2ui8.jpg

IV. Doodads:
-Lay down some trees on your little islands, and throw a few of your fallen trees in the water (The ones with altered maximum pitch angle),
-Powder the edges of the islands with the river rush
-Add some small clusters of lily pads (Note: they usually grow in calm, shallow water, so try not to put them at the base of a waterfall, i usually put them in area's that look like they'd be sheltered from the rush of a river)
swamp3te2.jpg

V. Added Effects:
-Create a dummy unit, remove shadow, give him locust, crank up his size, and change his model to the parasite projectile, throw these around, they look like will'o'the'wisp
-you can also throw in some decaying corpses, and flies, even a grave or two
-also go to map options under the advanced tab and use a custom tint for darker water, i went with gray
- Critters! unless your going for a depressing decaying lifeless setting! you'll want little beasties to wander around, sooo go to object editor, throw down a few skink and frogs, and to make things a little more realistic, tint them 150/150/150 to make 'em fit the scene, and shrink them till ya like 'em!
Doodads (Extended Ideas)
Birds - Why not? they make the skys a little more active
Bats - Don't want a friendly environment? whats freakier then a bat?
Flies - Flies are great, you can throw them on top of a corpse, or on a mushroom
Remains Scorched - Someone got lost and died!? poor sob..
Fish Dead - oh come on! this can be used in anywhere!
Fish - all 3 of them are good try placing them in a nice river rush area, or between rocks!

swamp4by7.jpg

Authors Notes: Remember, this is my opinion of a great swamp, many will not see eye-to-eye on everything, and id appreciate their constructive criticism, also it is always a good idea to experiment with ability models, I've stumbled across alot of great abilities or unit projectiles that look great as dummy units!

N

Nezgibs

a greenish tint for the water could make it look more swampy seeing as swamps are usually in brown/green water. other than that i think its great.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
ooh totally forgot to do that, i usually tint it grayish, i personally dont like green, its more of a "toxic" feel to it, i like the "dark and dirty" feel :D thanks for the feedback

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I was never good at terraning, cool fallen tree thing ^^
+rep

WastedSavior

Reaction score
went through and tried to smooth things out, make it easier to read, any more thoughts? comments? or ideas?

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
I like it! Nice and short...yet the details are beautiful...

Can you make a Terraining a "Good" Town?

Cause I really am impressed in you terraining skills..

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
Some bubbles & fog would be nice. Also it could use some life, swamps are literally filled with living things including small plants, frogs (and other amphibians), and insects.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
Some bubbles & fog would be nice. Also it could use some life, swamps are literally filled with living things including small plants, frogs (and other amphibians), and insects.

eeh? to me it seems like you didn't bother reading you just looked at the pictures, but im glad someones giving me something to fix!
Fog - it would be a nice touch, but i absolutely hate the wc3 fogs, whenever i make a swamp i tend to import a gust and use it as a doodad, but i try to keep it as minimal as possible, i dont want people to go out and import models just for a swamp, which is often a small portion of the map which could do without.
Life - I get what your talking about, a swamp is a spawning pool, things dying, things scavenging, things merely surviving, though i did mention the use of other doodads, such as the flies doodad, and the "will-o-the-wisps", and lily pads, ill look into adding a more detailed list of doodads and uses

Edit: added a "Doodads (Extended)" Section to the tutorial, gave some exposure to doodads that add a little something to the map not illustrated in my screen shots, i also added a small thought to the use of critters, what else can be fixed :D

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
My bad, I tend to give my best feedback on first impressions.

One more thing, I think there should be more stuff in the water. I know you mentioned lily pads, but by the screenshots it seems like there is a lot of grass growing on the land, but none in the water. Some lily pads and/or river rushes should work nice.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
i was debating for a while if i wanted to extend the river rush beyond the islands, but i decided i didn't want to shadow what little land there was, i kinda wanted to leave it open, one of my weird little thoughts heh :D
its more of a guide, to give people ideas, not to tell them what to do, so people are free to put as many river rush as they want :D

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Fluid, brief, good pictures, funny, straight to the point.

Why isn't this approved yet?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.