Terraining - Volcano Island

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Introduction

This tutorial helps you to understand terraining principals better and also make a nice looking volcano island.

Beginning

Make a new map using Sunken Ruins terrain. I will be using 64x64 in size. Mark initial water level to deep water.

Step 1 - Raising the terrain

Start raising the terrain with the „Raise” tool and use a rather bigger brush size, 3 for the main part, size 1 for the edges. Try to make it an island shape. Raise to water until you see the terrain popping out of it. This effect leaves you with clean edges rather than cut and ugly.

Good terrain

step1_goodterrain.jpg

Bad terrain

Step1_badterrain.jpg

Step 2 – Smoothing the terrain

Step1_somethingyousee.jpg

Now you should see something like this. Not very flattering and rather bumpy. A quick solution to that is the „Smooth” tool. Use it to make your island not so hilly and bumpy. Work your way carefully around the edges, and try to give it a natural beach look.

Smoothened terrain

step1_smooth.jpg

Step 3 – Adding the volcano base and roughness

Now, use the raise tool again to make the volcano base. Raise the terrain quite much. Also, apply the tool to the other parts of the island as well to give it a controlled and natural bumpyness.

Volcano Base

volcanobase.jpg

Step 4 – making the actual volcano

Now, open the Object Editor and select doodads. After then, find the torch model from props. Change its art – model file to Volcano <base>. Volcano model can be found under destructibles.

Note: This is because doodads height can be manipulated and the torch has a small collision size. It is also unselectable. (Original volcano's collision size is changeable, but its a destructible so its height cannot be manipulated easily)

Then go back to WE, and select it. Place the volcano on top of the volcano base, which you made earlier. Then hold down ctrl+page down to lower the volcano into the base.

Placed Volcano

volaco2.jpg

Lowered Volcano

volaco3.jpg

After that, pick „Raise” tool again, and raise the top edges of the volcano.

raise3.jpg

Step 5 – Adding landscape

Start adding grass, because do you want a dull looking dirt all over the map? Of course not. Hint, grass usually doesn’t grow on the top of the volcano.

grass.jpg

Step 6 – Adding some enviroment

First I add some big trees around the volcano, then the little ones, after that I use enviroment doodads to give to forest more jungle like appearance. Don’t place trees very randomly, place doodads and trees where they look natural. Also, try placing rocks and shrubs on the shoreline to get that wild nature look.

Note: Adding dead (looking) trees around the lava instead of normal trees gives an better effect. Look below to see how to import lava tiles.

trees.jpg

Step 7 – Final touch

For final touch, I added trashed cages, skull piles and some corpses to make the feel that some natives have been living there. Also, I added bats to the top of the volcano, and some birds around the island itself. For finish, I add the fire (cinematic) to the volcano top.

touch.jpg

Step 8 - Extra

As some users mentioned, the atmosphere looks cheerful. Its time to cast voodoo and enchant the terrain a little bit.

First, we need to add new custom tiles. Select Andvanced> Modify tilesets. Check the option "use custom tilesets". Then add some lava tiles to your existing tiles. I use lava and lava cracks from dungeon tileset.

Extra-1.gif

The only place where we need lava tiles, is the top of the volcano. Add lava cracks tileset to the top of the mountain and use lava tileset to make a stream of lava from the volcano to the water.

To make your lava on fire, open your doodaas and locate brazier, its under props. Then place the braziers on the lava strip. Finally select them all and sunk them underground, so that only the flame top’s are seeable.

Note: You can use fire (small) from cinematics, to even more enchant the lava. Dont forget to lower it using ctrl+page down keys.

Placed braziers

brazier.jpg

Lowered braziers

falme.jpg

For the last nip/tuck, im going to change the environment effects and current sky.
Open scenario>map options and change the Global weather to “Outland wind (heavy)”. And change the sky to felwood.

blablaaaaaa.gif

And to really finish off the volcano, cover it with rough dirt from Icecrown Glacier landscape. Also try applying sand from Sunken Ruins tileset to the shores.

ash.jpg

In game Screenshots

screensoht2.jpg

Screenshot.jpg

screen3.jpg

screen4.jpg

Note: Remember, you can test and play with all the options I mentioned to give the isnalnd even a better look.

This is my first terrain tutorial, any feedback and criticism welcomed. ;)

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
neat, I learned a thing or two, well done

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
emjlr3 said:
neat, I learned a thing or two, well done

Nice, that a master like you learned something form a nooblet like me. :D

@CorvusHaunt

Thank you, I did so.

turondo

Reaction score
i would suggest adding the lava tile or any other tile that blends in w/ the volcano doodad itself so they make the volcano look more attractive :)

but anyway, nice tutorial

iqchicken

Reaction score
i would suggest adding the lava tile or any other tile that blends in w/ the volcano doodad itself so they make the volcano look more attractive

but anyway, nice tutorial

i was thinking that same thing.. at least use some dark dirt or something.. it looks a bit too "cheery" around the volcano.. good work though.. tutorials are cool

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
iqchicken said:
at least use some dark dirt or something.. it looks a bit too "cheery" around the volcano.. good work though.. tutorials are cool

Well its a cheerful deserted island.:D

iqchicken

Reaction score
hahaha.. if i ever get stranded.. i hope it's not on a tiny island that just so happens to have a huge bubbling volcano on it, just waiting to spout molten hot rock onto me, rendering my biology skinless, boneless, hairless, and let's just face it... everythingless...

L

lascha

hehe, nice tutorial, also recommending a bit dark terrain around the volcano, the mountain itself looks like as it's made of dirt/soil, but anyway... still looks nice ^_^

oh yes, also too bad that the vulcano is always "active" instead of being in "sleep-mode"

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
corvusHaunt said:
Have another suggestion. Use the Smoke, or Smog (something) doodad on the water line where the lava and water meet to make it look as though the lava is cooling off.

Oh yeah, put a troll headhunter on there too :D

Picky. Ok, I updated it for the last time today. ;)

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Almost everything was new to me (I don' t do much terraning, but I can handle it stil I' am good drawer.). I never understand how they could do so smooth and natural terrain in Warcraft III maps example: Turtle Rocks ( Nicly done). I was stunned first when I read it. I didn' t know that Andrewgosu is such a pro at terraning.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
Andrewgosu said:
Nice, that a master like you learned something form a nooblet like me. :D

@CorvusHaunt

Thank you, I did so.

aha, never seen me terrain anything have you?

Battlemapsta

I am the Conduit of Change
Reaction score
I'm gonna join you so called "Awesome Terrainers" once I get my pc arrival is about 5 days :( This is the worst.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Would it be possible to resize those screenshots to about half the current size?
(Optional: without the grid (or is there some particular reason to have it?))

> aha, never seen me terrain anything have you?

Let's put it like this, the screenies here easily run circles around you :p (I'm soooo sorry)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.