Terraining - Water Level

Q

Quake19

Hey, fellow forumers!

I've decided to write my first tutorial at the forum. Hope it'll help out people with making cool water terrains. :rolleyes:

===========================================================
"The Water Level Tutorial"

- Notes: Step-by-step information on how to create water on different levels, or elevation if you prefer the term.
> > > > Follow each of the steps as described and you should get the gist of it.
> > > > Before doing anything, make sure you turn off the "Enforce Water Height Limits" under the "Advanced".

Step 1: Create a new map to try on. Nothing too big is needed; 32x32 will do.

Step 2: Open the Terrain Palette and choose "Raise" under the "Apply Height".

Step 3: Use the now-selected brush to raise a hill on your map. Make it high, so you can clearly see the difference. Notice, having a large brush size might make things easier for you.

- Notes: After raising the hill, use the "Plateau" brush under the "Apply Height" to make your hill even.
> > > > Placing water on hills that are not even can cause some weird and often unwanted effects.

Step 4: From the Terrain Palette choose "Shallow Water" or "Deep Water" under the "Apply Cliff".

Step 5: Use the now-selected water brush to create water on your high hill. It doesn't matter how much water you create, as long as it doesn't go over the borders of your hill.

- Notes: You could already stop here, but I do not recommend it. It's not a good idea to use cliff-water.
> > > > By following the next steps, you can make the water smooth. I highly recommend this.
> > > > Notice if you plan on making smooth water; make bigger water areas, for they will shrink when lowered.

Step 6: From the Terrain Palette choose "Same Level" under the "Apply Cliff".

Step 7: Use the now-selected brush to remove the cliff around the water. Notice, you must start moving the brush outside of your water area. Remove all water and the cliffs.

- Notes: If you have done everything correct, you should have a plain hill again, with no water in sight!
> > > > But looks are deceiving; the water is just under the surface of your hill.

Step 8: From the Terrain Palette choose "Lower" under the "Apply Height".

Step 9: Use the now-selected brush to lower those areas of the hill where you previously had water. Quite so, you'll soon see your water again!

- Notes: After you first lower your hill and reveal the water beneath it, the water might look jagged.
> > > > Use the "Raise" and "Smooth" brushes under the "Apply Height" to fix the inconveniences.
> > > > Use these two brushes at the jagged borders of your water, and it should soon look smooth.

Step 10: You don't need one if everything went fine! :D

Quake19

Screenshot #1: http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Quake19/a9e3423c.jpg

Screenshot #2: http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Quake19/987a63fa.jpg

- Notes: Differing water levels if used in conjunction with waterfalls can create some really cool scenery.
> > > > Don't make a flood though; you don't want cool stuff to appear as redundant.

// You're welcome to give feedback!
// Suggestions, corrections and screenies are all welcome.
// Quake19, over.

S

s-H-a-D-o-W

Hmmmm....
When i lower my hill, the water isnt comming back, what ma i doing wrong?

Q

Quake19

s-H-a-D-o-W said:
Hmmmm....
When i lower my hill, the water isnt comming back, what ma i doing wrong?

That's strange... I tested it out just a moment ago, it seemed to work just fine.
Actually, I might know the problem...!

I'll edit this to the main tutorial:
- Make sure you put off the "Enforce Water Height Limits" under the "Advanced".

Otherwise, it *should* (ahem) work.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
One awesome overlooked method is as follows.

Create your new map, and initial tile shallow water.

Your level is flooded.

Now raise the terrain past the water level where desired.

Time consuming? Naw. Use a giant tool, and the 'Plateu' tool.

Why?

Because now you have water wherever you want, with no jagged cliff edges. Great for island maps too.

NEXT NOTE

As far as tutorials go, it would be nice to have an entire 'Terrain Editor' tutorial, but I can only dream of that happening some day.

Sargon

Reaction score
Very neat. Add some waterfall doodads to make it look like it's crashing, not just slipping, down the cliff, and it'll be great.

Sargon

Reaction score
I like that one. Looks more real. You see, when something like water is traveling forward along the ground and it hits a cliff, it doesn't stick to the ground and drop straight down, it keeps going forward for a bit (inertia and all that).

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
SD_Ryoko said:
One awesome overlooked method is as follows.

Create your new map, and initial tile shallow water.

Your level is flooded.

Now raise the terrain past the water level where desired.

Time consuming? Naw. Use a giant tool, and the 'Plateu' tool.

Why?

Because now you have water wherever you want, with no jagged cliff edges. Great for island maps too.

NEXT NOTE

As far as tutorials go, it would be nice to have an entire 'Terrain Editor' tutorial, but I can only dream of that happening some day.

I like this tutorial but as I said, there was one major technique here that was totally over looked; and I think thats important.

Korolen

New User (Why do I keep getting those red bars?)
Reaction score
Great tutorial :) dArKzEr0's first screenie (Withut the Waterfall Doodads) helped me figure out how it worked, as I was a little confuddled :confused: at first. I think I accedently created that effect once... A water bug that you can use is as follows:

Create a flat space, and place shallow water in a little spot. Zoom it waaaaay out (Mabee with Advanced > View Entire Map) so that your frame-rate is crap. Then click in the water (with the water tool on) and quickly move the mouse to another non-water spot on the map. That sould create the water WITHOUT the cliff :)

Rad

Reaction score
Neither of the screenshots worked for me, I dont think photobucket likes me :(

Is this tutorial making smooth water edges, or making water go off a cliff with no edge?

Korolen

New User (Why do I keep getting those red bars?)
Reaction score
Rad said:
Is this tutorial making smooth water edges, or making water go off a cliff with no edge?
Making water go off a cliff with no edge.

D

Disthron

Nice tutorial. I'd been wondering how to do this since I first looked at some of the cinimatics in the game. It's a realy cool efect.

dArKz Could you posibly tell me how you maneged to get the water conected to one and other on multiple levels?

M

meanie

Sometimes sometimes not

:banghead: Sometimes this works on a tiny new map but when i am trying to do it on my own map(old,big) this doesn't work (enforce Water height limits are off) and when i try to make water on the hill it just flatten the hill out like [Plateau] :banghead:

garet10

Reaction score
Rad said:
Neither of the screenshots worked for me, I dont think photobucket likes me :(

photobucket :confused:

Get Paintshop Pro.

Z

Zero R.

What the HELL?

Photobucket == Image hosting service.
Paint Shop Pro == Image manipulation program.

Big Difference.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
just out of curiosity ... MrApples made a tutorial like this BUT sadly it got jammed straight away from the darn crash =/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.