US News Texas Approves Science Textbooks Containing Actual Science

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This week, the Texas State Board of Education held hearings to discuss the adoption of new textbooks for Texas schools. Given the SBOE's past history with creationism, all eyes were specifically on the science textbook hearings, to see whether the SBOE would let real science into Texas textbooks.

Going into the hearings, things were looking good for science advocates--despite months of pressure from creationists, publishers refused to yield to their demands, and Texas Education Commissioner Michael Williams recommended that all the proposed high school biology textbooks be approved without changes. Prior to the hearings, even the creationist "think tank" spearheading the charge to remove science from Texas textbooks had conceded defeat. But those familiar with the SBOE knew it wasn't time to declare victory until the final vote was over. Well, the final vote happened on Friday afternoon, and we can now decisively say that science prevailed.

The SBOE has approved all proposed science textbooks, none of which undermine evolution or climate change. The late-night hearing on Thursday was filled with suspense, as anti-science advocates made several last-ditch attempts to get the SBOE to reject the proposed science textbooks. The first bump in the road came during discussion of a new biology textbook published by Pearson, when "an anti-evolution activist appointed to serve as an official state reviewer alleged that [the book] included nearly two dozen factual errors."

Several creationist board members attempted to use this as an excuse not to adopt the book, even though the supposed "errors" only came from the one creationist reviewer, and had been thoroughly debunked by actual scientists. Pearson had repeatedly refused to make the changes demanded by creationist textbook reviewer and board members. Even board members found it ridiculous that they were being asked to assess the validity of a science textbook.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If they just fucking let kids have credit for seminary and bible study classes, this wouldn't be an issue. They obviously can't make a class in school for it, because then everyone is going to fight over what religion should teach it, but fuck, let the kids get some points for going to seminary for an hour before school every day.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
If they just fucking let kids have credit for seminary and bible study classes, this wouldn't be an issue. They obviously can't make a class in school for it, because then everyone is going to fight over what religion should teach it, but fuck, let the kids get some points for going to seminary for an hour before school every day.

I know at my high school they let people who study other languages get credit for it (I think they had to take a test at school to prove they learned something, but it was a fairly easy pass/fail test) - for languages like Japanese, which aren't offered by the school, and any sport would count as gym credit (even bowling, which I still don't understand why.. )

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
You're lucky, the only way to earn gym credit is to be in gym class and do what the teacher tells you to do.

I wish we had billiards and golf and use those to earn gym credits.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
In my school you could take catholic, protestant or islamic religion classes and get credit for it.
You could also take philosophy classes.
But only one out of those 4 because they were being held parallel.

Varine

Reaction score
In my school you could take catholic, protestant or islamic religion classes and get credit for it.
You could also take philosophy classes.
But only one out of those 4 because they were being held parallel.

I went to seminary in high school before classes started, but we didn't get credit. Nor did I get it for my job because it wasn't 'approved' by the school for some reason, and I didn't get any for my volunteer work because it was political. My school sucked.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
You're lucky, the only way to earn gym credit is to be in gym class and do what the teacher tells you to do.

I wish we had billiards and golf and use those to earn gym credits.

while I disagree with the bowling counting, I have no issue with things like soccer or football where the work-out is actually much harder than the regular gym class counting for credit

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
We went canoeing in my gym class. And we only did it once a month for 6 hours.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Lucky you, where there's so many bodies of water nearby.

Varine

Reaction score
We have a giant fresh water lake and a ski resort and made use of neither of them in our regular classes, nor did we have opportunities for credit via extra curricular activities involving them.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, now that you mention it, we also went snowboarding and skiing in our gym class. But only once, and since the teacher couldnt watch everybody everyone got an A+ for those trips.

Varine

Reaction score
We went once as a field day, but we had to pay for it and it was just credit for the day. We never used the lake though. Which was annoying, I hate skiing. I used to be really into kayaking though, went on trips around the lake with them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.