Text Based Game

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No prob, I was only joking anyway :p

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
bessomi, I hope that–in this case–you are wrong. However, I would be interested to know any ideas you may have that would make this game more fun. Also, when you say "this type of game", are you referring to text-based games, or something more specific?

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
Are different types capable of stealing/resisting different types of Eale more effectively, or is the 4-resource just to mix things up?

bessomi

Reaction score
I meant text based games.
I just dont like them, thats who i am.
I havent really tried the game and i wont do that.

But i want the rest of you to enjoy this game, because its not often that you can find a game that you like and play it all night.:thup:

UnknowVector

Reaction score
>Are different types capable of stealing/resisting different types of Eale more effectively, or is the 4-resource just to mix things up?

Not as of right now. Basically it is just to mix things up :). The rates for the four types will be different.

For the most part, a rock->paper->scissors pattern would make sense, until you get to wind->water :)confused:). It won't be hard to add if it looks like it will make the game more fun though.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Game starts tomorrow.

If I haven't repped you, let me know VIA PM or otherwise.

UnknowVector

Reaction score
The game has started (correctly and on its own I might add :)).

Good luck everyone.

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't get the different yale. Fire Earth etc. So I'm playing randomly and hope for the best :p

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
If you put it into defensive, do you get it back? I mean.. if you put 999 into defensive, will you only have 1 eal to defend yourself? If this is so, putting into defensive would never be wise?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I have the idea of the game now.

Now to beat kc and win :p

UnknowVector

Reaction score
The server was done when the game related code was supposed to run, so for today, it will run at ~3:15 PM.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was it supposed to update the Eeal of everyone yesterday at 6pm? Or does it start today?

UnknowVector

Reaction score
>To be honest, I don't get the different yale. Fire Earth etc. So I'm playing randomly and hope for the bes

There isn't a real difference, they could have been named "Eeal 1", "Eeal 2", etc., but I figured going with an elemental theme was cooler :). The reason the game needs more than one type is so there are multiple types to convert to. There are always some rising and some falling.

>Was it supposed to update the Eeal of everyone yesterday at 6pm? Or does it start today?

Noon today in central time, 6:00 PM at the date line. Its mostly a randomly chosen time.

The server was down then, but its now updated.

>If you put it into defensive, do you get it back? I mean.. if you put 999 into defensive, will you only have 1 eal to defend yourself? If this is so, putting into defensive would never be wise?

Technically defensive Eeal allows you to exploit the conversion rates while keeping a fraction of the original defensive power. Instead of having 200 Pure Eeal and 800 Offensive Eeal, you have 200 Pure Eeal and 800 Defensive Eeal. From your opponents perspective that is basically 300 Pure Eeal. As an added benefit, they only see 200 Pure Eeal, and would overestimate their strength.

However, the defensive power of Eeal used to be higher. While I was working on the game I made it impossible to die on the first turn by reducing both the defensive and offensive power of Eeal to 0.125. I guess I didn't think that out very well though, because that fix works with small games around 4 or 5 people, but it doesn't scale well.

Because of this, the current game is going to end in a draw as soon as the game updates. But I really hope some of you guys will be willing to try again. Because the solution isn't too complex, and it will be ready for the next game.

I'm planning on replacing the flat defensive power with a rate based on the number of players in the game. That should scale better and make the next game work correctly, regardless of how many people join.

Sorry about all that, I hope I haven't lost my interested partiz.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Nothin seems to be changed from yesterday, do I have to wait till 6 pm?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have a mySQL database error.

Code:
Warning: mysql_close(): 1 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/eealking/public_html/index.php on line 191

It looks like it has also wiped users, because when I tried to login, it said non-existant username.

Looks like it has crashed :(

EDIT: Now, I am the only one in the game.

UnknowVector

Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't save username's between games. You 'join' games, not 'register' :)

That's the second time someone has requested that, so I'll make the necessary changes as soon as the the game is working and the message pages (e.g. "you have logged on!") redirect you to the homepage.

Also, that mysql error occurs when no one has joined the game. Its a bit weird actually.

Thanks for the help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.